Make the US Politics Thread Great Again

:joy:

The same Dodd-Frank act that just got repealed with the help of 16 Dem senators…

It’s developed poorer countries to a point but at what cost? The folks in China who work for Apple work in disgusting conditions while all the wealth generated from that death camp labour goes straight to the 1%.

TPP is an abomination which Obama was a massive cheer leader for. Trump getting rid of it was one of the better things he’ll be remembered for.

The TPP was aimed at containing China, for better or worse. It’s ironic that the most effective measure to combat China’s economic and diplomatic domination was killed off by Trump.

3 Likes

Lol - the TPP is just another neo-liberal con.

1 Like

2020 is going to be fun. No way this guy leaves the White House of his own accord.

So glad that the Dems flipped 7 state Governorships last week.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-calls-for-halting-recounts-in-florida-races-for-governor-and-senate/2018/11/12/15a7c98a-e628-11e8-bbdb-72fdbf9d4fed_story.html?utm_term=.9ddc7b872630

Any chance that Kamala Harris will run for Pres in 2020?

I hope so. We need a range of candidates now that apparently “Hillary 4.0” is planning on running. Harris, Biden, O’Rourke, Warren, Booker, Landrieu etc.

Wouldn’t mind a Harris/O’Rourke ticket but a lot of water to go under the bridge. All I ask is that they unite behind a ticket early.

@DonMania, what the vibe on the ground about Bernie these days?

To be honest the vibe is that he has worn out his welcome. I like his ideas but (as I think I said when he was running in the primaries) he is basically unelectable in a society beholden to money. That’s not to say a more pragmatic candidate wouldn’t be able to implement many of his ideas…

Am I remembering right, cos I thought Bernie said a while ago that he wouldn’t be running in 2020, for age etc reasons.

He hasn’t explicitly stated anything. Most folks are assuming he will at least consider it.

Michele Obama just released a Book.

Right around the time someone setting up for a run would release a book, … jus’ sayin.

It’s a shame, because if ever anyone was going to at least partially drain the swamp…

2 Likes

Americans would never vote for another black male president.

1 Like

Trump played key role as candidate in hush payoffs for sexual affairs — report

By TOI staff and Agencies

4-5 minutes

US President Donald Trump was “involved in or briefed on nearly every step of the agreements” to pay off multiple women who claimed to have had sexual affairs with him, before was was elected president, the Wall Street Journal reported on Friday.

Citing interviews with “three dozen people who have direct knowledge of the events or who have been briefed on them, as well as court papers, corporate records and other documents,” the WSJ said Trump intervened directly on a number of occasions to “suppress stories about his alleged sexual encounters with women,” and provide them with hush money.

The report appeared to corroborate the account of Trump’s longtime former lawyer and fixer Michael Cohen who was also heavily involved in the deals and who pleaded guilty this summer to eight counts, including violations of campaign finance rules during the 2016 presidential race, implicating his former boss in the process.

Cohen told a federal judge in August that he had paid sums of $130,000 and $150,000 each to two women who claimed they had affairs with Trump, adult film star Stormy Daniels (real name Stephanie Clifford) and Playboy model Karen McDougal, acting at his boss’s request in a bid to buy their silence “with the purpose of influencing the election.”

The president has denied involvement, but the WSJ report further suggested that he violated federal campaign finance laws.

Michael Cohen, former personal lawyer for US President Donald Trump, leaves federal court on August 21, 2018, in New York. (AFP Photo/ Don Emmert)

“The Wall Street Journal found that Mr. Trump was involved in or briefed on nearly every step of the agreements. He directed deals in phone calls and meetings with his self-described fixer, Michael Cohen, and others. The US attorney’s office in Manhattan has gathered evidence of Mr. Trump’s participation in the transactions,” the report read.

|400x250

Former Playboy model Karen McDougal in 2011.

The WSJ report begins with details of a 2015 meeting arranged by Cohen at Trump Tower between Trump, then a presidential candidate, and longtime friend and media executive David Pec ker. According to the accounts, Trump asked Pec ker what he could do to help his campaign, and the latter responded by offering to “use his National Enquirer tabloid to buy the silence of women if they tried to publicize alleged sexual encounters with Mr. Trump.”

Less than a year later, Trump allegedly asked Pec ker to quash the story of the affair with McDougal and she was soon paid $150,000 to remain silent about the encounter.

Adult film actress Stormy Daniels, left, looks at her attorney Michael Avenatti, after making a statement to reporters at a federal court in New York, on April 16, 2018. (Mary Altaffer/AP)

That same year, Pec ker allegedly refused to make a second payment, this time to Daniels/Clifford with whom Trump is said to have had affair in 2006, “on the grounds that he didn’t want his company to pay a porrn star,” the WSJ reported.

Cohen himself made the payment to Daniels/Clifford, after Trump allegedly told him to “get it done.”

To federal prosecutors, Cohen said the first payment was “in coordination and at the direction of a candidate for federal office,” and the second was made “under direction of the same candidate.”

Both McDougal and Daniels/Clifford have filed lawsuits to break their non-disclosure agreements and speak about the affairs.

:no_mouth:

1 Like

Democrats win the Arizona senate seat. HUGE for their chances to try and win the Senate overall in 2 years.

4 Likes

Pelosi being Speaker is far from a done deal.

Very good chance they vote in favour of Schumer, and I personally hope they do. I find him far more articulate and effective in prosecuting an argument.

Schumer is a senator, it’s not even possible for him to be speaker of the house.

3 Likes