Make the US Politics Thread Great Again

Went to a public seminar last night at the ANU about the decline of democracy.

I’ll update later with my notes, but key takeaways from the panel:

• disinformation is used to accentuate and amplify social issues in an attempt to pit groups against each other. The panel provided examples from US presidential election.
  • Trumps tactic prior to the election and post the win is to sow doubt and illegitimacy into the results of elections. Lots of tweets of voter fraud etc to sow distrust in the process and government.
  • Even if he lost he sowed so much distrust in the process that the legitimacy of a Clinto win would stall governance.
  • discussion on the role of social media in disseminating disinformation. Should they self regulate, what role does government play.
6 Likes

Notes or Jokes??

…*Quietly really hopes it’s jokes, …

2 Likes

Just blow all social media into oblivion, & execute everyone that has anything to do with running any of it, … Problem solved.

No Twitter - No Trump… or his ilk

No Facebook, - no disinformation campaigns aimed at vulnerable idiots.

2 Likes

You’ll laugh with what the republican party sent to one of the ANU lecturers who went home to vote.

She received a letter talking about all the terrible Democrat policies then listed her and her neighbors voting history for the last 4 elections to assure her they were looking out for her!

2 Likes

No documenting every second day of your kids lives until they’re 20 for virtual strangers to look at. You ■■■■■■ weirdos.

4 Likes

RIP in peace, Rolo. :sleepy:

3 Likes

He BSD is a classic example of how stupid the left can be too.

So much Rolo h@…

2 Likes

Yes, that was unnecessarily harsh.

1 Like

We also have to remember that the Dem’s didn’t take Trump too seriously until it was too late. We know from the Podesta emails and the “Pied Piper” strategy that the DNC actually wanted Trump as the RNC candidate.

As for the role of social media, IMO they should be treated like public utilities and carefully regulated.

1 Like

Gerrymandering 101: in Ohio, Republicans received around 52% of the statewide vote, winning 12 out of 16 seats.

In the state legislature, they won a supermajority (correct me if I’m wrong, but two-thirds of available seats) despite losing the popular vote.

5 Likes

This is why the incoming Democrat congress needs to focus on electoral reform and voting rights. Not on impeaching Trump.

1 Like

This is a great resource for those wondering about the Blue Wave, if or not Democrats should have done better in the Senate, and other questions:

https://ballotpedia.org/United_States_Congress_elections,_2018

Ah yes, Chuck “For every blue-collar vote we lose, we gain two Republican votes” Schumer.

How’d that one go Chuck? ■■■■■■■ numpty.

Again, the Dems did amazingly well to limit the damage in the Senate. Let’s see how well the Republicans do in 2 years when the shoe is on the other foot and they are the ones defending a large number of seats.

He decided to show up.

Love how Jerry Brown (outgoing California governor, to his left) and Gavin Newsom (incoming California governor, to his right) are looking at him. “Dude, just get your PR photos and get out of our way.”

1 Like

Why do you give a ■■■■ about dinosaurs like Pelosi and Schumer? Not only are they finished, they quite obviously don’t represent the vast majority of Dem voters.

Cos they’re not finished, they are still the Dem leaders in the House and Senate respectively, and that gives them (pelosi mostly, as the majority leader) a lot of power.

2 Likes

I think you are conflating me stating facts as being their acolyte.

Here is a fact: Pelosi (who happens to represent my constituency in Congress) is the reason the Dems stayed disciplined and on message by focusing on healthcare in the recent election. They could end up gaining 36-40 seats which is incredible. Do I agree with everything Pelosi and Schumer have done, hell no. But in times like these, we need to unite, not divide the Dems based on ideology.

1 Like

They’re finished in the sense that they are yesterday’s men/women. Pelosi’s position as Speaker is not certain.

Progressive factions within the Democratic Party are finally gaining traction.