Make the US Politics Thread Great Again

1 Like

That’s the guy who stopped the active shooter, not the shooter himself.

1 Like

Finally, after 307 mass shootings so far this year the NRA finds one that can be made to fit it’s narrative.

2 Likes

The NRA have not done that though. I hate them too but this is not correct. They were asked a question and that is the response they gave. It wasn’t done to promote anything or boast anything, it was done to answer a question.

The shooter was finished, and had voluntarily left the church. The second guy had no influence on that (though he probably sped up the shooter’s death/arrest).

2 Likes

Not correct. Eyewitness accounts say he was confronted at the door and shot through an edge in his body armour. It caused him to drop his gun and make a run for it. He then probably shot himself in the car after calling his dad.

1 Like

Yeah.

Fascinating, sad, infuriating read:

Question is whether they love Trump, or just despise the Democratic and Republican elites who’ve ignored them for generations but still expect their vote.

1 Like

Yeah but Trump is has created his own elite enigma.

This made me laugh.

“Everybody I talk to,” he said, “realizes it’s not Trump who’s dragging his feet. Trump’s probably the most diligent, hardest-working president we’ve ever had in our lifetimes. It’s not like he sleeps in till noon and goes golfing every weekend, like the last president did.”

I stopped him, informing him that, yes, Barack Obama liked to golf, but Trump in fact does golf a lot, too—more, in fact.
Del Signore was surprised to hear this.
“Does he?” he said.
“Yes,” I said.

2 Likes

If you watch Fox News 24/7 of course you are going to have a different view on reality. They literally brushed aside the results of the elections yesterday as they were “in states that Trump did not win”.

1 Like

My advice, just don’t watch news

It is not good for anyone’s mental state to the watch news. No longer do they report on facts it’s all one big op-ed

Have not have TV channels for months and it is amazing. A quick twitter check, gives a pulse check of whats going on in the world (just don’t read the comments)

I don’t think staying uninformed is the solution though. You are right that a LOT of so called news is nothing but pandering to a very specific demographic be it right or left. That said, one can easily find reputable, well-researched sources. My go to source in print (I guess I mean online) are The New York Times and The Washington Post. I also regularly read the BBC to get a non-US point of view. On TV Vice News does a good job of getting at the heart of niche issues.

It is easy to just watch Fox or MSNBC (or, to be honest, just follow exactly who you want on Twitter). About 6-months after the election I had to (for my own sanity’s sake) do a Twitter purge of all the wannabe anti-Trump accounts that I had started following. The ones full of breathless innuendo with little substance.

All this takes time and is not as straight forward as what our parents had access too. However, being an informed voter (as rare as that is) is critical.

2 Likes

The problem is, even those news sources you have listed are not always giving you the truth. I read from a very, very wide variety. This enables me to see all the bias and start to filter what sort of truth is actually there. So I will watch a Fox news look at something, then CNN, the NYT, the WP then other areas. Generally the truth is mixed between them all.

1 Like

The market is ripe for a ‘real news’ option

I think the country needs it and will help bring both parties back to the center/at least start discussing and openly debating ideas/policy

I’m not sure a ‘real news’ option survives contact with the real world, htcman. It’s a perfect ideal.

I agree with IT. The response is to read widely and not rely on just one go-to, but for sanity’s sake with a little discretion. As uncomfortable as that is sometimes. For example there is a pronounced difference between the FoxNews news department and their talking heads like Hannity. Or places like Breitbart which don’t exist to inform, but inflame.

Some stuff is just getting ridiculous. If this were in a book, you’d chuck it across the room for being too far-fetched.

Alabama senate candidate Roy Moore, best known for his enthusiasm for putting up huge monuments to the Ten Commandments, has been accused of groping a 14yo girl. When he was District Attorney. In front of the girl’s mother. In front of a courthouse where the mother was attending her CUSTODY HEARING ffs.

And if that wasn’t enough, the Alabama state auditor has come out and defended him by saying ‘hey, Mary was 14 when she got pregnant with Jesus, so it’s not THAT bad really…’

I tried typing about seven different things about that last sentence, but in the end I gave up.

2 Likes

One other comment that caught the eye was by the GOP chairman of Alabama Bibb County was that he’d vote for Roy Moore even if he had commited a sex crime against a child because his opponent is a Democrat. Which shows how far partisanship is going in the States.

The Wapo article says that he met the girl when she was with her mother outside the court. The alleged sexual encounters happened at his home at later dates.