Make the US Politics Thread Great Again

You do understand a plea deal usually involves the lesser charges still sticking, in exchange for turning witness? And she is pleading guilty of being a spy (or operator), just at the low end of things.

Um, you know that the Mueller investigation, Rosenstein, Comey, and in general the intelligence community are republicans … right? You know, all those parties who believe that Russia interfered with the election, and the ones running the investigation into it.

Is all the evidence that Russia has been meddling in elections throughout the west also a conspiracy? Or maybe … a Democrat party conspiracy?

4 Likes

Sorry, but I think a lot of this is just plain wrong.

a) The Dems won’t impeach Trump unless there is a HUGE smoking gun on something really really bad. Why would they? It would just get the right base angry, go nowhere as the Senate would block it, and rile up the right’s base for 2020. Instead, they’ll just use the evidence to hammer Trump in the election.
b) If he did do something so bad and obvious that everyone got on board with impeachment, there is no way he would be pardoned.
c) After the election, if a Dem wins then that president will decide whether to allow the FBI to pursue Trump. They may not. But if they do, they then won’t turn around and pardon him.
d) Everyone knew that Trump was a cheating ■■■■■■■. They’d heard the Access Hollywood tapes, and he has innumerable settlements and allegations against him. The idea that the knowledge of his campaign violations will lose him support appears pretty silly. Hell, some fundamentalist Christians believe he is evil, but will bring about the end of days.
e) Politicians and “right celebrities” are very seldom penalised for breaking faith. After all, they’re always penitent. They get punished when they start losing, or for not being conservative ‘enough’.

1 Like

Trump isn’t a Christian

1 Like

I take it you are fond of conspiracy theories.

1 Like

Didnt he swear on the bible during his inauguration? He mightn’t be what some may call a decent christian, but he is one.

you don’t get to be President unless you at least pretend to be a christian. Pretending is one of Trump’s stronger skills.

he’s no more a christian that richard dawkins is. He just pretended in order to become president

2 Likes

Has he stated he isn’t one?

And just to ask probably an unrelated question, why do the xtain evangelists love him so much? It’s bizarre!

Mate, that’s incredibly naive.
I’ve sworn on the bible a few times and I’m certainly no Christian.
Sometimes it’s just what you have to do.

1 Like

He didn’t have to swear on the bible. He could have used the constitution or similar. Or just take an affirmation.

His support base is Republican Christians. Traditionally the Pres swears on a Bible.

Trump would never have not done that.

But he chose the Bible to keep the evangelicals on side.
Pretty basic stuff.

2 Likes

I read on Twitter that Obama swore on a secret Koran hidden inside a Bible.

8 Likes

The answer to your second question is sadly simple. It is only White Evangelicals who support trump @ 81%.
Black evangelicals have 7% support, Latino 31% and Asian American 37%.

I have many times over the years questioned my dislike for evangelicals (maybe they are right and a lack of religious morality is leading to a decline in society) but every time I return to my dislike, distrust of them. This recent 2 years have shown why. They are the most hypocritical segment of US society.

White evangelicals support trump because of his racist policies.

Most US people claim to be Christian, it is simply their heritage and for Trump, his supporter case is conservative Christian. The last thing he is going to do is say he isn’t one.

Most people are not Christian, despite the so called numbers from polls and census runs. Heck I would even suggest that half the people in a given church aren’t Christian, they just think they because they go to church on Sundays.

According to wiki, for what that is worth:

Trump is a Presbyterian.[57][58][59] His ancestors were Lutheran on his paternal grandfather’s side in Germany[60] and Presbyterian on his mother’s side in Scotland.[61] His parents married in a Manhattan Presbyterian church in 1936.[62] As a child, he attended the First Presbyterian Church in Jamaica, Queens, where he had his confirmation.[42] In the 1970s, his parents joined the Marble Collegiate Church in Manhattan,[63] part of the Reformed Church.[64] The pastor at Marble, Norman Vincent Peale, ministered to Trump’s family and mentored him until Peale’s death in 1993.[65][63] Trump has cited Peale and his works during interviews when asked about the role of religion in his personal life.[63] In August 2015 Trump told reporters, “I am Presbyterian Protestant. I go to Marble Collegiate Church,” adding that he attends many different churches because he travels a lot.[66] The Marble Collegiate Church then issued a statement noting that Trump and his family have a “longstanding history” with the church, but that he “is not an active member”.[64]

Trump said he was “not sure” whether he ever asked God for forgiveness, stating “If I do something wrong, I just try and make it right. I don’t bring God into that picture.” He said he tries to take Holy Communion as often as possible because it makes him “feel cleansed”.[57] While campaigning, Trump referred to The Art of the Deal as his second favorite book after the Bible, saying, “Nothing beats the Bible.”[67] The New York Times reported that evangelical Christians nationwide thought “that his heart was in the right place, that his intentions for the country were pure.”[68]

Trump has associations with a number of Christian spiritual leaders, including Florida pastor Paula White, who has been called his “closest spiritual confidant.”[69] In 2015, he released a list of religious advisers, including James Dobson, Jerry Falwell Jr., Ralph Reed, Michele Bachmann, Robert Jeffress, and others.[70][71]

1 Like

It was the Satanic Bible inside The God Delusion inside the Koran inside the Bible and it was all setup by the Deep State (PS Obama is really a Robot Kenyan…)

2 Likes

So probably not your version of a christian, maybe less devout or whatever. This is a lot like the “not a true Scotsman” fallacy.

1 Like

Paula White! lol that is the funniest thing ever, Scomo would love her and her prosperity teaching she throws out. Massive heretic in the conservative world.

No not really. Devoutness has nothing to do with it.