Make the US Politics Thread Great Again

Lol

1 Like

Historians will look back on this period and point to it as the moment the USA formally started to devolve.

1 Like

I reckon they’ll go a little further back. Probably post WWII.

This is the tipping point though, from which the effects can’t be reversed.

In the 60’s there was the space race.

50 Years later technology has brought us even further.

1 Like

Goodnight, blitz.
I’ll leave you with this thought.
The word ‘buffoon’ had escaped my vocabulary, I thought forever.
Well, I didn’t really think about it much. If I did, it was…‘huh, that’s a word tat as no context anymore.’
And this man became President, and started tweeting.

1 Like

This is… this… well it’s…

Poll: Nearly 40 percent of Alabama evangelicals say they’re more likely to vote for Moore after allegations hill.cm/yr9IbxQ

1 Like

I would be very careful with a poll like that. They only questioned 575 people and probably went to one area. It is also important to show that the majority of people questioned were female and the vast majority were over 55 (mostly 65 or older).

It is not a fair and reasonable poll.

1 Like

I hope this poll is erroneous. Guess we will see what happens next month.

I don’t read that as validation of Moors actions. Rather it’s a continuation of the up yours sentiment in America at the moment. Ask poeple if the media has changed their mind and they will double down and say they are even more sure of their vote, don’t come down here and tell me how to vote you elitists.

Regardless of what happens next month, that is a ridiculous poll and it shouldn’t have been undertaken or published. 575 people and mostly over 55 who are all Republican long time voters. What other response did they expect?

Sometimes a poll is just done for PR purposes, not to learn stuff.

It worked for DM

That’s not quite correct. Although I agree the poll is a small sample size, it says what the polling methodology was (a landline sample of likely households (based on recent general election participation) for an
automated poll was chosen from the population registered to vote in the state of Alabama, and there were 575
completed responses to 11 poll questions). The poll didn’t particularly skew woman or old (woman were only 56% of respondents) in a general sense.

It did ask who considered themselves evangelical (58% said yes) and those were the respondents being talked about in the article.

This is an incorrect characterisation of it. How many people do you think are in most polls?

And therein lies the reason I despise polling in general. They talk to very few people and then extrapolate according to the results for a few million (or more) people. Hardly fair and balanced polling and very few of it is worth the paper it is printed on.

They also generally go looking for the respondents who they know will answer a certain way. When they want it inconclusive or close they will vary it to the areas they know will respond the way they want. Also sometimes the questions are leading and encourage a person to answer a certain way.

The questions were laid out in the link in the article provided. I think you need to learn a lot more about polling and statistics, and the costs. There is some partisan polling, so you do need to know your pollsters, but writing off all polling seems pretty ignorant.

1 Like

Nothing wrong with (proper) polling, which this may or may not be.

The article almost answers the obvious next question: what do the non-evangelicals think? (~21% hardening of support, compared to 37% for the evangelicals; based on my assumption that they got 49% evangelicals as per that state’s average)

Trust you to focus on the one thing that had nothing to do with the poll and that I threw in as part of my comment about polling in general. It is why I said “sometimes”.

Maybe you should read and understand what is being said before going all “yaco” on me.

This poll though was a sham. And i do understand polling and costs, and all the other crap you can come up with to justify them. They have generally always been a sham and will continue to always be a sham.

There are some polls that are genuine but they are generally not for public consumption and certainly rarely published in newspapers to generate headlines and cater to a narrative like this sham was.

Stop blaming me for your failings. Debate the pister.

it was tongue in cheek, settle petal. Also he may well be a pister but I think it is unfair to say so in a such a public forum.

Just to be clear, there were no failings on my part, just the pisters part.

Quite a slip between the “o” and the “i”

1 Like