Make the US Politics Thread Great Again

It’s raining, must be Russia’s fault.

1 Like

Lol - the biggest perpetrators of conspiracies are our ■■■■■■■ Governments and their intelligence agencies.

Vietnam;
Babies taken out of incubators (Bush Snr);
Saddam WMDs (Bush Jnr);
Snowden revelations

And you have the temerity to call me a conspiracy theorist - all I want is the ■■■■■■■ truth, and when I get press releases from Government, I want to be able to corroborate that with actual farking evidence.

IS that too much to ask?

2 Likes

There’s zero evidence that WikiLeaks worked with Russia, ever. Now that’s a conspiracy theory.

1 Like

Seeing as we’re the only ones on the same page in this thread, do you watch Jimmy Dore’s channel by any chance?

Yes, it is too much to ask. What divine right do you have to the truth? Why should anyone disclose anything to you? Because you voted for them, or didn’t, whichever the case may be. Governments are elected to do a job and they don’t answer to you anywhere but at the polls. Of course governments conspire to do things. not everything they do for the good of their citizens is necessarily good for those of another country. Stop living in your little fairy land where everybody owes you an explanation. You don’t want THE truth, you want your version of it, just like Trump and all the other whining SJW and extreme right idiots. Anything that doesn’t match your world view is fake news, to be ignored. Just because you can search the internet for information doesn’t mean that information is any more correct than what a government press release is. Just remember, there are always three side to the story, yours, theirs and the truth.

2 Likes

Sigh

I just want the unfiltered truth my friend. I’ll make my own opinion on it based on my belief system and experiences.

The right comes from being a citizen of Australia. The Government works for us. We elect them to make decisions on our behalf, and when they make those decisions, like going to war, or signing the TPP, the public need to be acutely aware of the pertinent facts to understand why our elected officials are making those decisions.

So when I learn that our men and women were sent to Iraq/Afghan to die on lies and fabrications - that enrages me and I want justice i.e. voting the bastards out, and criminal proceedings (what should have happened)

When I learn that the TPP is legislation that further entrenches corporations which can actually sue sovereign governments for non-compliance and does not give a voice to workers, unions or climate activists - I am outraged and want that fixed.

It’s not that difficult a concept to comprehend.

5 Likes

While I understand your point of view @Lifetime_ban, I have to admit I lean more towards the other side of this topic. I personally don’t think governments go after whistleblowers mercilessly for the possible risk to lives that release of info may cause. Rather they get upset that they know they’ve been doing the wrong thing and it’s embarrassing for them that it’s been reported. No doubt it’s a delicate balance but governments are far too willing to hide behind “risk to national security” nowadays rather than reveal what they are doing.

3 Likes

@FromOutside50

You can certainly have your opinion on Assange and I would not care at all about him, but the fact is his actions have put lives at risk. I don’t know if any were lost but they were in jeopardy.

Government is actually there to govern for the majority. While Good Government treasures the rights of the individual, the decision has to favour the general good.

I have fought for civil rights most of my life and understand your views, but don’t have them in isolation, consider the impacts of Wikileaks etc, against the consequences. If the death of ADF personnel in Afghanistan and Iraq are not as important as your need to the “truth”, then I hope truth never gets anyone you care for killed.

You make an interesting proposition regarding something you don’t seem to believe killed anyone.
I’m not sure it’s entirely balanced.

1 Like

There’s no doubt that Australia’s involvement in The ME has increased the risk to all Australians, within our own country. So, it’s a bit rich for anyone to claim we shouldn’t be allowed to know the truth, based on a perceived increased risk to a handful of people who are over there.

3 Likes

How can governments be held accountable at the polls, or anywhere else, if voters are denied relevant information?

5 Likes

Of course it is not balanced Wim. It was my Son put in further risk by “truth” released to those who wished to do him harm. I have my own views on Australia’s involvement in these conflicts and they probably agree with yours, but this is about “secrets” being given to those who want to kill someone close to me.

2 Likes

Do you seriously believe that all our Government secrets should be published.

Most MPs do not have clearance to many things for security reasons.

3 Likes

Yeeeees, but you want someone who ‘potentially put your son in further risk’ to rot in jail, while someone who definitely put your son at further risk gets a free pass.
And this is without weighing up the…motives of the people who made those decisions.

4 Likes

No, I don’t.
I do think justice should be done and seen to be done, though.
I understand your opinion on some of these things, but not all.
Not all of them should have been secrets.
At all, in any way.

1 Like

It is facile to suggest it was Howard who took us into Afghanistan. It was a Government decision, backed by the Opposition and the ADF and DOD , so let’s jail them all.

I’m not suggesting jailing anyone.
I believe that was you.

Well anyway Wim, I will be going to live in USA for at least three months from the end of January, so all their problems will be over.

grin
I look forward to hearing about how you sorted them all out.
They certainly need it.

Well, at least I know you either converse in bad faith or worse so don’t have to bother with you.