Make the US Politics Thread Great Again

I agree their days of being a super power and an attitude of my way or the high way is done. Trump is showing that.

But a genuine coalition of equals starting with US, Canada, Europe, Japan, Australia and Singapore is extremely powerful. But it needs to be open and done for the right teasons(I.e not make America great). There is still problems to be solved and countries need to be given a positive choice to align to the west rather than China or Russia,

I’ve been listening to a podcast series called Revolutions (by the guy who did history of Rome). What strikes me is most revolutions occur when there is severe wealth disparity followed by a push factor such as a failed harvest. America has a huge wealth disparity, which is only going to be made worse by the tax cuts shifting the burden to the lower and middle classes. Trump was elected largely due to the frustrations of these exact people. The protests during the GFC were largely ignored, but showed intense anger from the poorer classes.

I’m not saying the place will collapse imminently, but the groundwork is being laid for some major domestic chaos in the next 10-20 years.

3 Likes

Sounds a lot like Chris Hedges - you read or listened to his material before?

No, although I’ll look him up. The Revolutions podcast I refer to is deliberately a-political, telling the story without making inferences to current events. He highlights themes consistent across all revolutions and my inference is that the same groundwork is being laid in modern America.

I’m most wary of minority rule where the majority become disenfranchised. If the majority have no legal recourse to change their situation, at some point they take extra-legal avenues. The push for them to take that leap may take decades, but once it starts these things are damned hard to stop.

The GOP moves to gerrymander election and cripple governorships strike me as serious long term risks.

This appears the best candidate they have.

carbon%20rod

5 Likes

1 Like

I’m not attached to Bernie. But he’s the only mainstream candidate in recent times who actually pushed for a national health system and got people on board with it. And that’s the one thing the US needs more than anything else, IMO.

Obviously I’ll support other candidates who get behind it.

2 Likes

‘Series of Tubez’.

3 Likes

Good effort from the blokes in the back to keep a straight face.

1 Like

“You don’t get to come to the briefing room and not answer any questions!”
Well, this one does.
Kudos for his first appearance in two years, though.

Is there anything that Trump is not an expert in?

No. Nothing.

What else would you expect from a VERY stable Genius though??

4 Likes

What’s with the weird multicoloured head?

1 Like

I’ve been wondering with the shutdown, does he still get to pay himself for his golf trips?

Is there such a thing as an obstructionist government?

Hell yes. USA USA USA

Hillary IS a war monger. Her ■■■■■■ hands are all over the Middle East. She paved the way for the bombing, destruction and partition of Libya, where slave-selling terrorists have been brought to power. “We came, we saw, he DIED” she actually gloated about the death of another human being, I know Gaddaffi was a ■■■■ of a man but what human gloats over death?

She was willing to push the U.S into direct confrontation with a huge nuclear power with a proposed no-fly zone installed in Syria ffs - she’s a madwoman, can you imagine the U.S shooting down a Russian jet? Trump ran way to the left of her on foreign policy.

I think you’re making a pretty big assumption there. Obviously Trump and the Repubs. have their “base” (Evangelicals and the traditional red states) however there were plenty of moderates who swung to Trump especially in Michigan, Wisconsin and PA that IMO would have voted for Bernie. On top of this, people who DON’T vote are the biggest voting bloc in the U.S, especially amongst millennials who Bernie has a huge following.

I agree though that it would be extremely difficult given how the system is set up to support the two party duopoly.

As for your comment on Russia - pffft they were effectively a non entity despite what establishment media tells you.

1 Like

Trump on trump

Campaign finance: “I think nobody knows more about campaign finance than I do, because I’m the biggest contributor.” (1999.)

TV ratings: “I know more about people who get ratings than anyone.” (October 2012.)

ISIS: “I know more about ISIS than the generals do.” (November 2015.)

Social media: “I understand social media. I understand the power of Twitter. I understand the power of Facebook maybe better than almost anybody, based on my results, right?” (November 2015.)

Courts: “I know more about courts than any human being on Earth.” (November 2015.)

Lawsuits: “[W]ho knows more about lawsuits than I do? I’m the king.” (January 2016.)

Politicians: “I understand politicians better than anybody.”

The visa system: “[N]obody knows the system better than me. I know the H1B. I know the H2B. … Nobody else on this dais knows how to change it like I do, believe me.” (March 2016.)

Trade: “Nobody knows more about trade than me.” (March 2016.)

The U.S. government system: “[N]obody knows the system better than I do.” (April 2016.)

Renewable energy: “I know more about renewables than any human being on Earth.” (April 2016.)

Taxes: “I think nobody knows more about taxes than I do, maybe in the history of the world.” (May 2016.)

Debt: “I’m the king of debt. I’m great with debt. Nobody knows debt better than me.” (June 2016.)

Money: “I understand money better than anybody.” (June 2016.)

Infrastructure: “[L]ook, as a builder, nobody in the history of this country has ever known so much about infrastructure as Donald Trump.” (July 2016.)

Sen. Cory Booker: “I know more about Cory than he knows about himself.” (July 2016.)

Borders: Trump said in 2016 that Sheriff Joe Arpaio said he was endorsing him for president because “you know more about this stuff than anybody.”

Democrats: “I think I know more about the other side than almost anybody.” (November 2016.)

Construction: “[N]obody knows more about construction than I do.” (May 2018.)

The economy: “I think I know about it better than [the Federal Reserve].” (October 2018.)

Technology: “Technology — nobody knows more about technology than me.” (December 2018.)

Drones: “I know more about drones than anybody. I know about every form of safety that you can have.” (January 2019.)

Drone technology: “Having a drone fly overhead — and I think nobody knows much more about technology, this type of technology certainly, than I do.” (January 2019.)

15 Likes

Think I have been Trumped !

I am due to fly too San Francisco in two weeks and I checked me ESTA visa waiver status and it told me there was no record, so I applied for a new one, paid $95 and got an email back saying payment was OK and application was proceeding.

That was ver a week ago and no confirmation.

Tried to contact ESTA to find they are part of Trumps lockout and until the funds are released, no-one is working, so no visa waiver !

Yet another victim of the Tangerine Turd.

1 Like