Make the US Politics Thread Great Again

Yuuuuueeeeep. Funny as eh?

1 Like

At least Barr has a long track record of professional and personal integrity and non-partisanship

1 Like

:smile_cat:

Best summary I’ve seen so far:

2 Likes

Lol you guys are hilarious. First it was Barr misrepresenting Mueller, “RELEASE THE REPORT”, report is released and nekminnit “something something, redactions, grumble grumble”

Take the L and move on. This has been a colossal waste of time and has given Trump a free kick for 2020.

The guy is incompetent trash… there’s a mountain of evidence in support of that… report not required.

There were legitimate questions that needed to be answered. Questions at the heart of the legitimacy of the election. Investigations of this nature are never a waste.

1 Like

Pretty much. Attack the guy on his awful policies, not some crack pot conspiracy theory.

Here’s the thing, I don’t think it’s crack pot. The guy had a billion dollar project in Russia. He has historical links to some very dodgy characters in Russia. He stood on a ■■■■■■■■■ stage and asked Russia to hack the Democrats so he’d get an electoral advantage. He actively undermined the position of the current US President by promising to eliminate sanctions at the same time that Obama was trying to ratchet them up. There’s a very good chance that prosecutable offences exist that were hidden by lies or refusal to testify of key people involved.

If you don’t hold impeachment as the benchmark of success or failure, this report is actually an insightful document. There’s some dodgy behavior in that report. I hope that people notice the muck rather than ignoring it completely because it didn’t reach the excessively difficult bar of Presidential impeachment.

3 Likes

Not really sure what you see talking about. The report essentially says…’we can’t pursue indictments as DOJ has ruled we can’t indict a sitting president. Corrupt actions by Trump should be pursued by congress who can ensure nobody is above the law’

There are more than half a dozen investigations on going.

Trump has done a great job talking ‘no collusion… Mulller witch-hunt…’ blah blah that we are in the middle of the most corrupt presidency on record and he still has 40% approval.

There is no free kick for 2020. It appears the Dem leaders feel that it will be an endless procession of negative news from ongoing investigations that it will role into 2020 and they will role Trump at the polls rather than impeach and then see McConnell and co just toss it out in the senate.

The billion dollar project that never got off the ground. It has no relevance.

He said this? Lol the guy is a troll and will say anything. His actions are what’s important.

Trump has been significantly more hawkish to Russia than Obama ever was. If you have followed what the U.S has been doing RE: Russia since Trump won office, it’s clear as day. Some examples are sending armaments to Ukraine, something Obama would never do, killing the INF treaty, bombing a client state of Russia (Syria) and basically orchestrating a soft coup in Venezuela (another ally of Russia)

Where have I said impeachment is the benchmark of success or failure? My stance has always been there has been no evidence of collusion which has been the central prong of the investigation and Mueller’s report confirms it.

1. Did Trump and his campaign conspire or coordinate with Russia to interfere in the 2016 election; and
  2. Is Trump beholden to Putin?

The allegations of both (1) and (2) were smashed by Mueller’s report.

This is absolutely a free kick to Trump. He’s been vindicated and will be screaming “NO COLLUSION” all the way until 2020.

Dems need to pivot the ■■■■ away from this and start challenging his awful policies.

They need to focus on policy, I agree with you there. However what has been released in absolutely damning. His spin has worked well thus far but the report essentially says ‘we have a criminal president. The reason he is not being charged is because we can’t charge a sitting president.’ His 40% (and it appears you as well) won’t acknowledge the state of play. This report is scathing.

A couple of points while I pause a movie.

The Russians actually went and hacked the thing he asked for on stage straight away. He stood in front of the world, asked Russia to do something and they did it. Now I don’t think he’s dumb enough to do that while actually conspiring, but when the President did that while getting elected and the election was known to have been attacked, you need to check it either way. If they hadn’t investigated, it would have been worse. Clearing Trump is actually the best outcome.

The second point I want to make is I don’t think Mueller cleated Trump of being compromised by Putin. There’s a stench over Trump’s business history in Russia. Mueller didn’t touch that. There’s a perfectly reasonable scenario where Trump did something corrupt in his business dealings and Putin knows about it. In fact I think this is more likely than a conspiracy to rig an election.

I think the Democrats are right in not pushing for impeachment. I think the report should be analysed in detail, the redactions contested, then the focus should move on. There’s an election for the Dems to win and attacking Trump will just motivate GOP voters to turn out.

1 Like

Where is the evidence that the Russians ‘hacked’ the DNC? Mueller doesn’t provide any in his report. He defers to the January 2017 joint assessment by the intelligence agencies. If the public can’t see the evidence, then as far as the public is concerned there is no evidence. Invisible evidence is not evidence, no matter how many government officials tell us it is.

This is what I could find. There’s clearly more here, the guy did a 15 hour session analysing the report page by page. Nuts. So the points are rapid fire and lack the depth you’d get from a crafted piece of journalism. Has published a books on this subject, so he’s knowledgeable. Can’t give you the full answer you are after, but I think there’s something here.

Mitt Romney grew a spine. I am sure it is very temporary. Nothing to worry about.

4 Likes

Really good read:

This

The Republicans are totally spineless. They put out a nice little statement like this but do nothing.

If he was truly willing to put party above country he would courage impeachment proceedings. It is the only avenue to hold a president accountable.

But he won’t. Because like his fellow republicans he is a spineless ■■■■. They are all talk on patriotism, morality and rule of law.

The Dems are on their own here. It’s a tough decision. Pursue impeachment proceedings doomed to fail due to the Republican senate or to go to the 2020 election and let Trump go free? (There could be post administration charges but it’s unlikely they would pursue them)

1 Like