Make the US Politics Thread Great Again

Gotta pay for all those new cables somehow.

Nathan White, Access Now <[email protected]>
    Today at 6:14

Dear ***,

We fought hard. In just the past few weeks, over a million of you turned up for Net Neutrality by calling the U.S. Congress, taking over your websites, and spreading the word on social media. Voices from around the world have spoken that the free and open internet is here to stay.

Despite all of this, U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Chairman Ajit Pai has played his hand. In a move to support big cable companies — including his former employer, Verizon — he just pushed through a vote to repeal Net Neutrality protections, giving corporations free rein to monetize and control what we see and do online. We won’t sugar coat it — this is bad news. But it’s not the end of the road.

Activists and lawyers are already putting together a strong case to challenge the FCC’s move in court, and we’re going to keep the pressure on Congress to do the right thing and defend the free and open internet we all rely on. More than 80 percent of Americans — Democrats and Republicans, urban and rural communities, students and retirees, and everyone in between — approve of Net Neutrality. With key seats in the House and the Senate coming up for election in 2018 — including Republican party leadership — no one can afford to ignore the undeniable call to keep the internet open for all.

This is a narrow-minded step backwards by the Trump administration’s FCC, and it’s out of step with trends in the international community. From Europe to India, some of the world’s largest democracies are implementing strong, people-centered Net Neutrality protections, and it won’t take long for U.S. policymakers to feel the effects of that dissonance.

We’re sad today, but not as much as you might think. We’ve personally been working to support Net Neutrality since 2012. And others have been working a lot longer than that. This community had to fight a long and hard battle to win Net Neutrality protections in 2015, and we will keep fighting until we win them again — no matter how long it takes. It has taken generations to win the most important battles over free speech and civil rights. All advancement has come from people who refused to back down, and our fight for a free and open internet is no different.

We will be in touch as the landscape becomes more clear with next steps and more opportunities to take action. But for now, don’t lose heart. Keep engaging with your community about Net Neutrality and other issues that impact our human rights in digital spaces. Be vigilant in fighting false narratives about why we don’t need the open internet. And consider making a donation to organizations who are fighting to defend digital rights, both in the U.S. and around the world. Together, we can build a world in which all voices are honored, freedom of expression is respected, and spaces to create and innovate are preserved. In this moment of setback, let us commit together to press on regardless.

In solidarity,

Nathan and Carolyn

Spread the word! Forward this action alert to a friend.

75% of Americans were against Drumpfs Tax Plan, and 80% disapprove of this, … but still Donny Numnuts and his band of greedys push ahead & do it anyway.

This, at least, is a long long way from done, and will likely be stopped in the courts through constitutional rights etc, but, … if so many are against so much of what these prick’s are pulling lately, … the mid terms may well be a complete wipe out for the GOP next year.

One can only hope.

What a shocking thing to pass. Big business always gets it’s way when the GOP or Libs are in power.

1 Like

I can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic or serious in your post?

If that’s in reference to me, I am serious. Not sure why you thought it was sarcasm?

2 Likes

Yes it was.
Well I’ve thought there’s been a sarcastic tone to your posts recently especially where people criticise trump/gop and you go on to defend him/them. Thought you might be mocking people as you believe they are getting worked up about nothing - glad it’s not the case.

I tend to defend whoever when I think what is being discussed is wrong, Trump and GOP get a whole lot of stuff wrong but not everything is their fault. When it is right though I support the poster.

2 Likes

On destabilisation of Mueller investigation, the following blog of 14 December is worth a read
lawfareblog.com

It doesn’t matter what percentage of folks are against tax plans or net neutrality or whatever if they don’t actually bother to vote.

And a ‘democratic’ government (of any party type) that implement policy that actively discourages or hinders people from voting is scandalous.

Oh, I am looking forward to this.

Former Apprentice star Omarosa Manigault Newman has warned the White House she has “quite a story to tell” about her time in President Donald Trump’s administration.

Appearing on Good Morning America, Ms Manigault Newman pushed back against reports that she was fired from her job as the director of communications at the Office of Public Liaison.

“As the only African-American woman in this White House, as a senior staff and assistant to the President, I have seen things that have made me uncomfortable, that have upset me, that have affected me deeply and emotionally, that has affected my community and my people,” she said.

“And when I can tell my story, it is a profound story that I know the world will want to hear.”

Thanks geezers.

Right after we don’t have public healthcare but are up to our eyes in guns.

America isn’t like any other country in the world.

1 Like

Lol. Didn’t she spend most of her time in there planning her wedding?

2 Likes

Farenholdt, Texas Republican not to seek re-election after complaints of harassment. GOP lessons from Moore.?

Obviously, Trump not a cycling fan. The Giro organisers are in a lather with his decision on Jerusalem, it is consulting with the Italian Foreign Ministry on the decision to start the 2018 race in Jerusalem, for which the Giro is is being handsomely paid by Israel. Under pressure, the Giro took down references to West Jerusalem.
The Froome revelations have not helped - no advance notice to the Giro.
Who says politics has no place in sport?

Did post about 2 weeks ago that you never use the term West Jerusalem or East Jurusalem - Though Giro organisers tried to get out of it by stating the starting place for the stage was west of Jerusalem - Anyway it was originally proposed the 2018 Giro start in Japan - I was ready to go.

Too lazy to research: is that a typical relative turnout rate, and illustrative of vote stripping laws (due to convictions)?

Seems the DOJ has conceded that the release to the media of the private emails of the two reassigned FBI agents was “unauthorised”. They have First Amendment rights of free speech, but as to their rights to privacy?

1 Like

Mueller has all of the Trump transition team’s government emails. Got them straight from the General Services Administration, which suggests the Special Counsel doesn’t trust Trump’s legal team to release everything.

FoxNews going into Super-Mueller-Clinton overdrive. They’d be so much happier if she’d won, instead of conspiring with the FBI to lose as a way to bring down the Trump presidency, which I think is the knot they’ve tied themselves into. Let’s not forget that upon firing Comey one of Trump’s first efforts at justification cited Comey and the FBI’s harsh treatment of Clinton.

A banner of “A coup in America?” under KellyAnne Conway. They have the Presidency, both the Senate and the House, and I think a majority in the Supreme Court yet somehow the all powerful liberals and Democrats are masterminding everything? Talk about irrational fear.

2 Likes