Missing/crashed planes, and other aviation mis/adventures

Horrible to say so, but it's best for Malaysian Air that it was shot down....

Questions should be asked why was it flying over that area anyway? All other flight paths are avoiding Ukraine.

According to an airline expert* there were over 100 planes in that airspace as its a common air route, just unlucky for Malaysian Airlines that their plane was shot down (allegedly) could have been any of them. At 33000 feet the people on the ground would have no idea who the plane belonged to

*Was a guy on radio claiming to be an expert, I have no idea who he was

Saw a pic on twitter that the area was nearly deserted in terms of the air.

Finger pointing has already started over whether the plane should have been there in the first place.  Authorities saying it should not have been, Malaysian airlines saying they were not warned, the board who controls the warnings saying they were outside the warning zone.
It will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Victim blaming.

Questions should be asked why was it flying over that area anyway? All other flight paths are avoiding Ukraine.

According to an airline expert* there were over 100 planes in that airspace as its a common air route, just unlucky for Malaysian Airlines that their plane was shot down (allegedly) could have been any of them. At 33000 feet the people on the ground would have no idea who the plane belonged to

I saw a pic like that too, but I thought it was taken after the incident?

I saw a pic like that too, but I thought it was taken after the incident?

ah, would explain it then.

Nine Queenslanders are believed to be among those Australians killed. Perth man Nick Noriss and his grandchildren are believed to be among seven WA residents on the flight, while Albert and Marie Rizk are among nine deaths from Victoria. One victim is from New South Wales and another the ACT.

28 confirmed Australians now.

All government flags will be at half mast tomorrow.

Incorrect. There were only a small handful of planes that weren't flying over this airspace.

What a farked 48 hours.

The bullshit occurring in Gaza, this flight shot down and a massive Typhoon close to hitting mainland China.

Russian supplied Buk missile system, very capable of hitting an aircraft at high altitude

We heading towards another war?

I think so.
The Americans and Brits just finished telling Russia to sort out the Ukraine ■■■■ along that very border. And then this happens. I think the Russians are going to have to brace themselves for some form of reaction from the rest of the world.
Putin saying that it happened in Ukraine so they are responsible for it. I guess even though Russia handed the 'separatists' the weapon, he bares no responsibility for how it is used...

The BBC said today that the BUK has the capability to hit things at 60K feet. That jet didn't stand a chance.

I think so.
The Americans and Brits just finished telling Russia to sort out the Ukraine **** along that very border. And then this happens. I think the Russians are going to have to brace themselves for some form of reaction from the rest of the world.
Putin saying that it happened in Ukraine so they are responsible for it. I guess even though Russia handed the 'separatists' the weapon, he bares no responsibility for how it is used...

There won't be a war.
Costs everyone to much money.
Ukraine won't do ■■■■ as Russia would annihilate them in two days. Europe likes Gas so they are out and the yanks are stretched and wouldn't anyway.

Just heard from a mate that his daughter was due to fly back on Malaysian this morning, but got stuffed around with bookings and now is flying Air India.

He’s somewhat relieved.

Flying MA in 3hours

Flying MA in 3hours

That's the way the cookie crumbles.

Oh no, this is horrible if true!

A QUEENSLAND family who lost a son and daughter-in-law on flight MH370 are believed to have lost further family members on board MH17 shot down over Ukraine.

Irene and George Burrows, from Biloela in central Queensland, have been mourning the loss of son Rodney and daughter-in-law Mary aboard Malaysia Airlines flight MH370, whose final resting place still remains unclear.

Irene‘s son Greg Burrows said while it was not his role to make a formal statement on behalf of the family, he said the latest loss had shocked the family deeply.

Malaysia Airlines MH17: Queensland family impacted by both MH17 and MH370 disasters
By Megan Hendry and staff

Updated 12 minutes ago

A Queensland family who lost relatives on doomed Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 are in mourning again after losing more family members on MH17 in Ukraine.

Irene and George Burrows from Biloela, south of Rockhampton, are still mourning their son Rodney and his wife Mary who were on flight MH370, which disappeared without trace over the southern Indian Ocean in March.

But tragedy has gripped their family a second time.

It has been revealed Irene and George's daughter Kaylene Mann lost her step-daughter Marie Rizk and her husband Albert in the MH17 disaster.

The jet was shot down by a surface-to-air missile over Ukraine, killing all 298 passengers and crew.

In March, Ms Mann faced the media in Brisbane alongside Jayden Burrows - son of Rodney and Mary - to speak of how the family was trying to come to terms with their loss.

Marie and Albert, a real estate agent from Sunbury near Melbourne, were returning home from a month-long holiday with friends in Europe.

5607968-3x2-340x227.jpg Photo: Albert (L) and Marie Rizk (3rd from L), who were aboard MH17, with their children Vanessa and James. (Supplied: Raine and Horne)

The couple have two children and have been described by friend Ken Grech as "beautiful" people.

He said the Rizks had called their son James the night before the flight to notify them of a change to their travel plans.

"[They tried to] move it forward because the interconnecting flight was a nine-hour stay so they thought if they could change their flight they would do so, but unfortunately that didn't occur," Mr Grech said.

"It hasn't really sunk in yet that their parents aren't going to walk in the front door at home."
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-07-18/mh17-queensland-deaths-family-hit-by-both-malaysian-crashes/5608524

That’s some real ■■■■■ luck.

Malaysia Airlines MH17: Devastation as the list of Australian victims is revealed

Updated 1 hour 42 minutes ago

A Catholic nun, an estate agent, a teacher, a husband-and-wife pair of doctors, a businessman and his three pre-teen grandchildren. Just some of the Australian lives cut short by the attack on Malaysia Airlines flight MH17.

At least 28 ordinary Australians were returning home with Malaysia Airlines, but never made it. For their families and friends, life will never be the same.

Prime Minister Tony Abbott spoke for many when he said the tragedy was "a grim day for our country and a grim day for the world." He said: "We bleed for them, we grieve for them and we will do everything we can."

Here are the Australians so far feared to have lost their lives.

Sister Philomene Tiernan, New South Wales
5608376-3x2-700x467.jpg Photo: Sister Philomene Tiernan, who was killed in the MH17 plane crash on July 18, 2014 (Supplied: Kincoppal-Rose Bay School)

A Catholic nun from Sydney, Sister Philomene worked at a private Catholic school in Sydney's eastern suburbs.

Video: Sister Philomene Tiernan during her time at Kincoppal-Rose Bay School (ABC News)

In a letter to students, principal Hilary Johnston-Croke said the school was devastated by the loss of Sister Philomene who had been attending a retreat in Joigny in France.

"Phil was a very much-loved staff member and friend," she said.

"We are devastated by the loss of such a wonderfully kind, wise and compassionate woman who was greatly loved by us all."

Albert Rizk & Marie Rizk, Victoria
5607968-3x2-700x467.jpg Photo: Albert (L) and Marie Rizk (3rd from L), who were aboard MH17, with their children Vanessa and James. (Supplied: Raine and Horne)

Albert, a real estate agent, and his wife Marie, were on the final stretch of a European holiday.

The Sunbury pair, and parents of two, have been described by friend Ken Grech as "beautiful" people.

He said the Rizks had called their son James the night before the flight to notify them of a change to their travel plans.

"[They tried to] move it forward because the interconnecting flight was a nine-hour stay so they thought if they could change their flight they would do so, but unfortunately that didn't occur," Mr Grech said.

"It hasn't really sunk it yet that their parents aren't going to walk in the front door at home," he said.

Nick Norris, Mo Maslin, Evie Maslin and Otis Maslin, WA
5608462-3x2-340x227.jpg Photo: Perth businessman Nick Norris and three of his grandchildren died in the MH17 crash. (ABC: Supplied)

The 68-year-old Perth native and three of his grandchildren were on the flight's manifest and were understood to be travelling to Western Australia from Amsterdam.

Mr Norris's 24-year-old son Brack said his father had been accompanying the children: Mo (12) , Evie (10) and Otis (8) Maslin home to Australia.

Their parents had remained in Amsterdam for a few more days but Mr Norris, a father of four, was bringing them home to return to school.

Son Brack described the situation as "surreal" and thought it was "ridiculous" when a sister called from Sydney to tell him about the crashed plane.

"I couldn't believe it ... I love my dad extraordinarily and they were amazing kids," he said.

Roger and Jill Guard, Queensland
5608442-3x2-340x227.gif Photo: Dr Roger Guard and his wife Dr Jill Guard were among those killed on MH17. (Kevin Farmer / APN)

Pathologist Roger Guard and his wife, GP Dr Jill Guard, were returning from a holiday and medical conference.

Toowoomba Hospital Foundation chief executive Peter Rookas said the pair were well respected in the community.

"Roger and Jill went off on a holiday and then attended a medical conference and were actually returning with doctors from that conference on MH17, so we have lost some absolutely brilliant people," he said.

Liliane Derden, ACT

A mother of two daughters, Ms Derden from Hall in Canberra's north, has been identified as being on board flight MH17.

Ms Derden was a public servant who worked with the National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) in Canberra.

The NHMRC issued a statement honouring their "valued colleague and friend".

Helena Sidelik, Queensland

Ms Sidelik was returning home to the Gold Coast after holidaying in Europe before she died in what colleagues have described as an "incomprehensible plane disaster".

"We will truly miss your smiling and infectious personality that we have all become super fond of," a statement from colleagues at Vision Personal Training said.

"May your spirit and soul live on within every one of us that you touched, may you be blessed to soar high above the clouds and smile down on us with double scotch and water and may you rest in peace for eternity."

Frankie Davison and Liam Davison, Victoria

Toorak College, at Mount Eliza, has confirmed that teacher Frankie Davison and her husband Liam were travelling on the flight.

"Our heartfelt sympathy goes out to their children Milly and Sam and family. We are devastated by the news of this tragedy," Toorak College principal Helen Carmody said in an email to students and alumni.

"Frankie will be remembered as a much loved teacher, Year 8 coordinator, colleague and friend."

Elaine Teoh and Emiel Mahler, Victoria
5608432-3x4-340x453.jpg Photo: Elaine Teoh and Emiel Mahler in happier times. (ABC: Supplied)

Victorian-based finance workers Elaine Teoh and Emiel Mahler have been remembered as "beloved" staff at IG Australia.

As foreign nationals, Ms Teoh - who was Malaysian - and Mr Mahler - who was Dutch, have not been counted on the official toll of Australians killed in the disaster.

In a statement, IG Australia sent its condolences to the families of the pair.

"IG Australia wishes to send its deepest sympathies ... to the families of our colleague and former colleague Elaine Teoh and Emiel Mahler," it said.

Ms Teoh graduated from the University of Melbourne with a Bachelor of Commerce in 2008.

On social media, David Teoh Qi-en said he had confirmation from Malaysia Airlines that his sister was on board the flight.

"While I understand public opinions and comments on MH17, I urge my friends to remain wise and calm when talking about it and also [to] keep my family and I in prayer as we are going through these tough times," he wrote on Facebook.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-07-18/mh17-australian-victims/5607188