Missing/crashed planes, and other aviation mis/adventures

^ Poor aviation expert…

The world seems to be losing more planes than it finds.

Looks like they found it. Bodies and debris.

A lot of assumptions in this thread. There will be many months of investigation before a proper report of the incident is given. I don’t see why we need to guess so much as to what happened.

Just hope by some miracle they find a survivor or two.

All the more crazy that they haven’t found any wreckage from the other one that disappered.

A reply to: @tinhillterror regarding QuoteLink

All the more crazy that they haven't found any wreckage from the other one that disappered.

not really, the indian ocean is huge, it’d be like finding a needle in a haystack where theres multiple multiple haystacks. and they didn’t even know which haystack.

Quoted Post

A reply to: @tinhillterror regarding QuoteLink
All the more crazy that they haven't found any wreckage from the other one that disappered.

not really, the indian ocean is huge, it’d be like finding a needle in a haystack where theres multiple multiple haystacks. and they didn’t even know which haystack.

But there’s been no sightings via satellite, nothing from sea or air, nothing wash up in WA. Nothing.

There were some ‘witness’ accounts of a plane on fire in the area, but this hasn’t lead to anything being found.

A reply to: @barry_day regarding QuoteLink

Kathleen Bangs?

This was a straightforward case - Debris found after two days - Probably be around 12 months before investigators can give a likely scenario.

MH370 - Indian Ocean - Doubtful !

Indonesian TV broadcasting images of a floating body to distraught relatives waiting for news of their loved ones was seriously insensitive and quite callous.

A reply to: @Bombamick regarding QuoteLink

Indonesian TV broadcasting images of a floating body to distraught relatives waiting for news of their loved ones was seriously insensitive and quite callous.

Hopefully the Indo government hands out some prison time to the prick that cleared that footage.

Interesting to see another air asia plane ran off the runway at Kalibo this morning. I know that airport, as well as a lot of others in that central visaya’s area. They are all really short.

Reports are saying that an earlier Cebu Pacific flight turned around and went back to Manila due to weather conditions, but the air asia crew gave it a shot anyway.

Ive never flown air asia, or zest air, but I do use cebu pacific and PAL often over there. The last one was a few weeks ago during Typhoon Ruby, I caught the last flight out of Manila down to Tagbilaran just as the typhoon was coming in. The pilot flew wide out to the china sea, went into a holding patern for a little while and picked his moment to land. Was actually one of the smoothest flights I’ve had there.

I know this is an over simplistic question, but if conditions are that bad, could not just turn the plane around? If I was a passenger I would accept that as a reason

Thats exactly what should happen. Or divert to another airport,. I’ve had that happen a few times, much better.

Quoted Post

Don’t stress - This is common practice and acceptable in Indonesia.

A reply to: @yaco55 regarding QuoteLink

Quoted Post

Well it was clearly distressful for the relatives and so obviously unacceptable. Indonesia media need to lift their game.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post

Well it was clearly distressful for the relatives and so obviously unacceptable. Indonesia media need to lift their game.

It happens in a number of countries in S/E Asia - Because one or two relatives were distressed doesn’t mean its unacceptable in those societies.

A reply to: @Bombamick regarding QuoteLink

A reply to: @Jezz regarding QuoteLink
What about the one that crashed at an air show in 1988?

Thanks for bringing that up. On this occasion it was concluded that the crew had failed to take proper account of the visual and aural info available to them regarding elevation. Pilot error. Thankfully only 3 souls were lost that day from 136 people on board.

That sounds about right. Might’ve been the pilot’s unfamiliarity with fly-by-wire as well iirc. It’s hard to remember every episode of Air Crash Investigations exactly!

Quoted Post
Quoted Post

It happens in a number of countries in S/E Asia - Because one or two relatives were distressed doesn’t mean its unacceptable in those societies.

yeah… righto

A reply to: @alex.f.94 regarding QuoteLink

Quoted Post
Quoted Post

yeah… righto

He’s right. Things that we would find gruesome, horrible and a shocking affront to our sensibilities, they don’t care a fig for. They would rather endure all that, for the slightest chance that their loved one somehow survived against all the odds and expectations. Put it down to hope.

A reply to: @bonzo regarding QuoteLink

Interesting to see another air asia plane ran off the runway at Kalibo this morning. I know that airport, as well as a lot of others in that central visaya's area. They are all really short.

Reports are saying that an earlier Cebu Pacific flight turned around and went back to Manila due to weather conditions, but the air asia crew gave it a shot anyway.

Ive never flown air asia, or zest air, but I do use cebu pacific and PAL often over there. The last one was a few weeks ago during Typhoon Ruby, I caught the last flight out of Manila down to Tagbilaran just as the typhoon was coming in. The pilot flew wide out to the china sea, went into a holding patern for a little while and picked his moment to land. Was actually one of the smoothest flights I’ve had there.

Something must of changed, ive flown with Air Asia close to a hundred times probably and have found them to be exceptional, have had a couple of flights delayed due to bad weather etc but thats it. I must admit the Indonesian Air Asia flights were not as comfy and seemed to be older planes but that may have just been the few ive been on. The Indonesian Air Asia part branch of the company is 50% owned by Air Asia and 50% by the Indonesion govt, who knows if this affects the safety standards and quality control. For memory Garuda has one of the worst safety records in world aviation, any co-incidence?