Missing/crashed planes, and other aviation mis/adventures

Quoted Post

A reply to: @bonzo regarding QuoteLink
Interesting to see another air asia plane ran off the runway at Kalibo this morning. I know that airport, as well as a lot of others in that central visaya's area. They are all really short.

Reports are saying that an earlier Cebu Pacific flight turned around and went back to Manila due to weather conditions, but the air asia crew gave it a shot anyway.

Ive never flown air asia, or zest air, but I do use cebu pacific and PAL often over there. The last one was a few weeks ago during Typhoon Ruby, I caught the last flight out of Manila down to Tagbilaran just as the typhoon was coming in. The pilot flew wide out to the china sea, went into a holding patern for a little while and picked his moment to land. Was actually one of the smoothest flights I’ve had there.

Something must of changed, ive flown with Air Asia close to a hundred times probably and have found them to be exceptional, have had a couple of flights delayed due to bad weather etc but thats it. I must admit the Indonesian Air Asia flights were not as comfy and seemed to be older planes but that may have just been the few ive been on. The Indonesian Air Asia part branch of the company is 50% owned by Air Asia and 50% by the Indonesion govt, who knows if this affects the safety standards and quality control. For memory Garuda has one of the worst safety records in world aviation, any co-incidence?

Actually Garuda has a good safety record, though the crash a few years ago in Semerang shattered the confidence of Indonesians. Garuda was banned from flying in europe for a few years because of lax mechanical standards, though that ban has been removed.

My wife won’t fly on any Indonesian airlines - She doubts the talent of Indonesian pilots…

A reply to: @Aceman regarding QuoteLink

A reply to: @bonzo regarding QuoteLink< Something must of changed, ive flown with Air Asia close to a hundred times probably and have found them to be exceptional, have had a couple of flights delayed due to bad weather etc but thats it. I must admit the Indonesian Air Asia flights were not as comfy and seemed to be older planes but that may have just been the few ive been on. The Indonesian Air Asia part branch of the company is 50% owned by Air Asia and 50% by the Indonesion govt, who knows if this affects the safety standards and quality control. For memory Garuda has one of the worst safety records in world aviation, any co-incidence?

This is the greatest concern from aviation experts across the globe..caeoaa.com/air-asia/#.VKawJXt3nfY

CAE partners with AirAsia, the leading and largest low-cost carrier in Asia, for the delivery of a competency-based Multi-crew Pilot License (MPL) program at various training locations in Malaysia.

AirAsia’s growth plans require a steady supply of highly qualified and well-trained pilots so in early 2012 CAE agreed a five-year contract with AirAsia through which CAE will train more than 200 new A320 First Officers for the carrier. This contract was agreed following the success of the first two MPL courses launched in 2010 & 2011 respectively. The cadets from both of these courses are now successfully flying the line for the airline as A320 First Officers.

Commenting on the MPL Program, AirAsia’s Group Chief Executive Officer, Tony Fernandes said “The CAE program is the world’s premier MPL training curriculum, and we have seen first-hand in our flight operations that it is producing the next generation of pilots who will fly safely and efficiently.”

All four phases of the MPL training are conducted in Malaysia, including at the Asian Aviation Centre of Excellence (AACE), a CAE-AirAsia joint venture training facility located in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

The MPL program objective is to deliver a best-in-class competency-based training program that provides airlines with pilots who are validated to safely and efficiently operate a modern multi-crew, multi-engine, turbine powered commercial transport aircraft in all expected operational environments. CAE MPL programs feature a blended training methodology, a rigorous cadet selection process, an emphasis on crew resource management and threat/error management, and airline operating procedures throughout.

Malaysia-based candidates who are interested in this program should apply to AirAsia directly. Please visit the AirAsia website for the latest updates on the application process.

I’d be a bit worried if CAE still stands for Council for Adult Education.

thats ■■■■■■■ awful.

Jeez, another one. A320 crashed in the French Alps.

8 minute descent with no radio transmissions or distress call? Bizarre.

Quoted Post

8 minute descent with no radio transmissions or distress call? Bizarre.
Helios 522 all over again? Plane reaches cruise at FL38 and just 3 minutes later initiates a controlled decent to FL06; possibly a depressurization, crew have enough time to initiate a decent, but perhaps have an issue with the oxygen system and they pass out ...

So one of the pilots steps out of the cockpit, but is unable regain access.
Other pilot calmly descends and flies the plane into the alps. Good grief.

A senior military official involved in the investigation described "very smooth, very cool" conversation between the pilots during the early part of the flight from Barcelona to Dusseldorf. Then the audio indicated that one of the pilots left the cockpit and could not re-enter. French investigators sift through wreckage at the crash site.

“The guy outside is knocking lightly on the door and there is no answer,” the investigator said. “And then he hits the door stronger and no answer. There is never an answer.”

He said: “You can hear he is trying to smash the door down.”

Allegedly.

Quoted Post

So one of the pilots steps out of the cockpit, but is unable regain access. Other pilot calmly descends and flies the plane into the alps. Good grief.
A senior military official involved in the investigation described "very smooth, very cool" conversation between the pilots during the early part of the flight from Barcelona to Dusseldorf. Then the audio indicated that one of the pilots left the cockpit and could not re-enter. French investigators sift through wreckage at the crash site.

“The guy outside is knocking lightly on the door and there is no answer,” the investigator said. “And then he hits the door stronger and no answer. There is never an answer.”

He said: “You can hear he is trying to smash the door down.”

If true, this makes the eternal evoking of MH370 in the title perhaps more apt…

My neighbour is one of those gun toting ‘sky marshals’ I’ll be keen to see what his take in this is, and if he knows how to get in the cabin once it’s locked.

Quoted Post

My neighbour is one of those gun toting 'sky marshals' I'll be keen to see what his take in this is, and if he knows how to get in the cabin once it's locked.

The cabin door is meant to withstand small arms fire or even a grenade attack.

Surely if one of the pilots’ can’t access a locked cabin door, that is an an unforgiveable error by airlines - I understand you want the cockpit to be secure from unwarranted visitors but at the same time if a pilot suffers a heart attack or similar ?

Quoted Post

Surely if one of the pilots' can't access a locked cabin door, that is an an unforgiveable error by airlines - I understand you want the cockpit to be secure from unwarranted visitors but at the same time if a pilot suffers a heart attack or similar ?

The system allows access if the pilot is incapacitated. However is access was overridden deliberately.

The French authorities have confirmed the story, that the pilot locked the door, then set the autopilot to fly at the minimum height, which was well below the safe flyable altitude.
Looking like a clear murder-suicide.

Apparently the German pilot now has the most confirmed kills since the Red Baron.

Do not read if you think anything is “too soon”. I got caught out by that when I made a flippant remark about the Munich air disaster in 1957. I’m now hesitant to post anything more recent than the Hindenburg disaster.

Hindenburg only seems recent to you, Noonan.

do gooders would’ve said ‘you can’t stop a guy from working just because they’re dealing with depression’

“The co-pilot who deliberately crashed Germanwings Flight 4U9525 into the French Alps, killing all 150 people on board, was rocked by a deep personal crisis following relationship problems with his girlfriend, according to a German media report.”