March for round 1?

Los Etihado?

A loss at Etihado? That goes without saying doesn’t it?

1 Like

Weird stat - we have never lost a Round 1 match at Etihad

6 Likes

Get us on for the flag!

2 Likes

Some of my favourites include the first ever match where Longy kicked the first ever goal there. And also when Lloydy kicked 6 in the first quarter against Sydney in 06. Of course it happened on April fools day as we won 2 more for the year.

2 Likes

I hate those sorts of stats. They never last… so a loss is inevitable.

It’s because we never play in Melbourne, let alone Etihad, for Round 1.

That said, what are crowd expectations like for this game? I have friends coming over from Adelaide and have said I’d prepare the tickets.

You’ll get more Adelaide fans than North.
I’d book.

3 Likes

I reckon 50 odd round 1

Hasn’t been a 50k Etihad crowd with a non-Vic side since 2004.

Mid 40s more likely

Fair stat. That’s surprising. What does Etihad hold, high 50s?

Around 50, IIRC.

Given the proximity to the Federal Court, that might not be a bad starting point.

March of kings. Southern Cross to etihad.

1 Like

I went on Ticketek to try to reserve some seats a la ANZAC Day, but I suspect you are expected to trust your luck (or at least get there early) if you have a general admission membership, otherwise it is something like $40 a pop to upgrade your general admission to a reserved seat.

If we get 70K members and play okay in the next BLT, I dare say we are a good chance to fill Etihad.

It’s interesting, Adelaide with 11K less members than us last year still managed almost 47K per game at the Adelaide oval. The Adelaide oval and Etihad have an almost identical seating capacity (53,500 vs 53,359) yet we averaged about 41.5K at Etihad last year, with only 38.5K against Adelaide there last year and 42.5K against Freo. Yet Adelaide drew 47.5K against us in Adelaide last year.

You would think with and average H & A game attendance of 46,353 in 2017 (2nd in the league, 227 short of Richmond), we can fill Etihad for round 1.

It would be good if we could realise Sheedy’s dream of a red and black fortress at Etihad with 50K plus crowds every game there. By Adelaide standards, that should be possible.

Just remember if you are GA, you will have to get there early or fork out $.

As far as a March goes, why don’t we make a time to gather in Fed Square (say 6pm - match starts at 7.50pm), at 6.15pm start marching up Swanston Walk and Bourke Street Mall (trying not to get run over by trams) and thin out along the footpath on both sides of Bourke Street and walk straight up to Etihad?

The more disorganised and straggly the better in terms of people getting there a bit late and joining the end of the line as it gets moving.

Any chance we could chant in marching time “We are Ess-En-Don” on and off along the journey? Well not exactly marching time, but more like " X X xx X" where X is one beat and x is a half beat which adds up to a nice even 4 beats to a bar to walk to.

I get very frustrated with the cheer squad going crazy fast and completely mashing up the rhythm of We are Essendon and somehow making Essendon into 2 syllables.