Marlion Pickett

So you and others are stating that the Board makes decisions on selection of individual recruits ?

I could cope with, but not like, the Board setting policy on players in terms of background and character, but over-ruling the Footy Department just seems OTT. If true is it a reaction to the Saga and does it mean that the Coach cannot do anything much without a nod from the Board.

Seems bizarre to me.

My mail is that Board were informed that we might go after “Pickett at the draft, or the ex-Port Adelaide guy,” and they said “We don’t know about a pick at the draft, but Adrian knows his power.” And so the recruiting department took it as a directive.

Nope, I can say categorically Adrian was blocked.

1 Like

It’s unfair because almost all boards (apart from those subject to FOI) would have a confidentiality policy. This is to ensure that matters before the board are debated robustly without fear of those discussions going public.

So basically you’re asking her to answer a question that she’s almost certainly not allowed to answer in the affirmative.

Personally I’d be absolutely furious if a member of our board was revealing board discussions to anybody, let alone on an internet message board.

12 Likes

Not to mention you’d have to crap on Pickett to justify why not.

Let the guy have his fairytale drafting to grand final heroics story.

Appalling if true .

An exquisite and creative ball user mid/forward is one of our missing elements . Marlion would have been so perfect for our team .

1 Like

I wouldn’t be shocked in the slightest if this was true.

This is a footy club haunted by past mistakes. excessive red tape is easily believable. Esp. given what we know of Craig and Neeld’s roles in recent years.

2 Likes

Was there for the taking in the mid season draft but in typical dodo fashion passes

Have you read any of the above ?

2 Likes

I can’t be bothered but feel free to tell me

Read the first few . Dodoro wanted to pick him and was over ruled by the Board .

Really I wonder why

If we selected Marlion Pickett and Richmond grabbed Snelling, we’d still be questioning the choice.

Regardless, I’d think the board would be across the type of player selected as it may require additional resources to assist with the guy. And I’m not sure if Marlion has any personal issues, but if he did and we didn’t have the staff to deal with him, then it would be rather silly to just pick him, slot him in and hope he fits in.

I’m not all for the board overruling, but I imagine that the pros v cons weren’t as well presented by the recruiting team and the board gave their decision. If the board narrowly overruled it and Dodoro and the team were so intent on Marlion, then their argument put forward mustn’t have been too convincing.

2 Likes

Go back and read the original post. Questions need to be asked and answered. lf true then the board have over stepped their mark, and should hang their heads. A disgraceful decision. Personally, l would have taken the punt on Pickett, but believe the finger injury might have counted against him.

3 Likes

I’d be very surprised if the board overruled it based on his injury background.
If they did, then shame on all of them. That’s a recruitment decision.

It had to have something to do with Marlion Pickett’s background if anything.

Agree that this is the most likely reason, but still consider it insufficient reason for their interference… if true.

1 Like

I’m still working out who to sack for the expensive Shiel trade.

I used to blame Dodoro…but these repeated rumours of outside interference have forced me to hold back a bit with my criticism of the Dodoro…and I’m having to turn my gaze more and more towards X and the board.

Whoever is responsible for dud list decisions needs to be booted out of the club.

Did we sign Shiel on a 1-year contract?

Do you feel like a ■■■■ now? You should

1 Like