Marriage is totally Gay

They respect that it makes so sense?

You just talked about having a secular union ceremony on a beach in the Whitsundays for yourself

But them their gays can’t do the same.

I’m surprised they are not telling you to ■■■■ off.

1 Like

A no vote is a vote for Islam

That will ■■■■ em

7 Likes

This is unbelievably good. Someone please do this.

Or a no vote is a vote for sharia law.

1 Like

You want to help one community by marginalising another? Please…

2 Likes

Little mini confession here. Up until relatively recently in my life (about 5 years back) I was a homophobic little ■■■■ and for that reason if this vote was happing then I’d for no for no their reason but " hahaha poofs". That all changed when one of my best mates came out to me and told me his horrific story of bullying and abuse he has copped his whole life. Seeing just how my previous behavior affected real people completely changed me and now I’ll be voting yes.

18 Likes

I have never understood that sort of thing (not the change, the first part). Why did you hate gays so much and think that behaviour towards them was acceptable?

That’s a genuine question btw, not a go at you.

Its a tough question to answer but I do think with my generation at least it was still an ingrained culture thing. I don’t think we we’re brought up to hate gays as such more so not realizing just how much your words and actions can hurt. I personally never gay bashed anyone but even the use of the word gay such as “oh that’s gay” in a negative sense is so hurtful. I think the generations coming through now are better now, I’d even say my generation may even be one of the last with homophobia ingrained into it but many generations before me had that same problem. Recently at work we celebrated wear it purple day in support of gay youth were asked what advise we would you give your younger self I straight up said “stop being a ■■■■”

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply.

Thankyou everyone for taking the time to have the conversation. I am grateful.

4 Likes

I’d agree with you, but then we’d both be wrong.

You clearly missed my position on this matter completely.

Best you stick to cartoon TV.

1 Like

He really didn’t.
You can’t accept ‘civil union’ doesn’t mean less than, although you know it does, that’s your whole point.
That’s okay.
Give it a few years, you’ll figure it out.

Both the United Nations Human Rights Committee and the European Court of Human Rights have declined to endorse claims that same-sex marriage is a human right.

Yay for them.

2 Likes

Give it a few years and you’ll work out why

Do they claim that marriage is a human right?

Is it a privilege?

Do I have a privilege that others don’t?

That’ll do for me

1 Like

Snappy!

Doesn’t explain the paradox you can’t possibly get out of.

Marriage equality is not just about the same rights under law, no matter what anyone says.
It’s about the non-ghettoisation (shaddup, I can invent words if I want) of homosexuality.

It’s not gay marriage.
It’s marriage.
It’s two people who love each other and may or may not want to start a family, but certainly want to commit to each other.

And I can understand religious objections. I don’t agree with them. Any of them on anything, but I accept and sometimes respect that they exist, whether they be Christian, Islam, Buddhist, Hindu, Shinto or other.
I don’t, for example, agree with the spearing of someone’s thigh but I accept that there are some people who do. In my opinion we sure as hell shouldn’t be basing law on it, but I understand that others won’t agree.

What I don’t understand is why someone who is married, as I am, as my parents are, as my brother and sister are, as my aunties and uncles are, should be threatened by same sex marriage.
It takes nothing away from you, or me, or them.
It’s merely one step closer to gay Australians being accepted as people.

Civil unions are about law.
Marriage is about, hey…these are real people too.

And saying you want civil unions but not marriage is simply saying you want gay Australians to continue to be less than. I’m sorry you can’t accept that about yourself, but it’s true.

35 Likes

Wimmera that was perfectly written, thanks.

4 Likes

That’s a good post because I’m guessing we are the same generation. I’ve never ever had an issue with anyone who was gay, have a couple of friends who are gay and a cousin, but I did often use the word “■■■” or “oh that’s gay”.

It was funny though when I had coffee with my cousin (he’s from New Jersey) and I asked for a skinny latte and he turns to me and says “dude, that’s gay”

1 Like

Tony Soprano?