Marriage is totally Gay

I think you missed the point. Shahid didn’t say the sky-writing was hateful, merely that that message is often enough associated with hate.

Two more months of open season to go…

1 Like

Can i just say here in the kindest way, its going to be hard to listen and see all this campaigning for another 8 weeks. its all starting to add up and it hurts. if you all can just vote yes, you will make a lot of people happy and it won’t hurt you at all. the issue will then go away once the law is changed.

11 Likes

The yes vote is getting close to hate speech though isn’t it? Look at the attacks on Woolworths because their ex-ceo from 10 years ago was on Q&A. How the hell do you blame woolies for that? Then you have the imbecile who sacked their worker for being a no voter. How’s that reasonable behaviour?

Both sides are getting stupid and it needs to stop, I agree with Bomberjase, it only hurts people.

1 Like

There might be a bit more to the so-called sacked worker going beyond what she posted on her Facebook ( which she also used to promote her engagement as an entertainer with the company concerned). She was not an employee, but an entertainer engaged for childrens parties and reportedly there had been discussions with her on her views on homosexuality.

She is allowed to have views that differ to her employer though. The women is boasting she sacked someone for being a no person. Based on her post that is unfair dismissal in the making.

2 Likes

I don’t think we have anywhere near enough information to make a call on that.
Could very well be two jerks.
How an employee behaves on social media is a very contentious area, in my opinion. And not just mine, but a lot of companies, too.
The triumphalism is sickening, though.

Well we have all the owners posts online though, she doesn’t seem to hold back much. Based on that alone she could be in trouble. If there was more to it, then it seems strange to only post that bit, unless of course she is grand-standing, then that is appalling behaviour and does not help the yes cause. Which is my point.

1 Like

No doubt some yes voters are behaving badly, as I expressed earlier in this thread. Doesn’t diminish the validity of their argument, or the virtuosity of the cause, but it’s still dumb, and its hurting the cause.

You might think no voters are homophobic imbeciles, and you’d be right about that in respect of a great number of people, but no favours are being done to the cause by saying it out loud.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry you have to go through all this my friend. I hope that you take some comfort from the fact that an awful lot of your fellow citizens are not only completely on your side, but also abhor the government for putting you through this.

1 Like

http://www.australianmarriageequality.org/sport-support/

Any idea where we are on this? I’ve seen that the AFL, Collingwood, Geelong, North, St Kilda and Sydney have signed. Would be good if Essendon could get involved. Lots of room for sporting codes, clubs and players to show leadership on this.

2 Likes

AFLPA supports and Heppell is featured on the promo on the AFLPA site.
Gil has said AFL would also support, but I understand that, as it has not made an official announcement

Honestly, I love people claiming they were going to vote yes but the attitude of other yes voters has them so upset they are voting no instead. What a pile of hogwash.

Was going to vote no until I realised the no voters were all secretly (and not so secretly) homophobes and bigots.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’ve heard a bit of talkback radio going down this path. Seriously, everyone sounds like it’s staged 'I’ve got mates/family/kids that are gay, and I’m going to bit ‘yes’ but the ‘yes’ campaign has been attacking people and now I’m voting ‘no’.

Then they go on a bit of a rant about ‘free speach’ and ‘why can’t they just have civil union’ it just sounds too damn convenient that they all have the same angle.

Seriously, the only ‘campaign’ I’ve seen is rainbows and yes signs and the like, though Northcote is definitely a ‘yes’ leaning suburb.

I have no issue with individuals proclaiming support (or not) but not sure about the AFL as an organisation offering support as such because it implies everyone associated with the AFL agrees with it. A bit like the ARU finding itself in a conflicted position with I Folau coming out (sorry) with an opposing view to the ARU. He vocalised his position because they clearly didn’t ask him first. And on Folau, his opinion is based on a deeply held religious belief and he shouldn’t be attacked for it.

1 Like

Well Diggers, one could argue that organisations like the AFL need to have a stance on social and civil rights issues. They have been vocal of family violence, homophobia, racism and support many other actions.

If the AFL Board make the decision to vote YES, then it is their right to be vocal on Gay Marriage.

But there will undoubtedly be people associated with the AFL who are opposed to changing the law on same sex marriage. And that’s a legitimate position. Supporting punching out women or homosexuals and abusing darkies or musos isn’t. There is a big difference here.

Not sure there is a big difference to be honest.

1 Like

Maybe Diggs, but the AFL is a corporation like QANTAS, Apple, Google etc, and the Board decides policy.

Maybe they can do a survey of its Members !

Maybe but they can be embarrassed, ARU style if they choose to speak on behalf of everyone without really knowing how everyone feels about it.

Feel the same way. Wish we could fast forward two months and I can finally marry my partner of 7 years.

9 Likes