Marriage is totally Gay

It is. And its fine to point out the illogical claptrap when uttered.

2 Likes

Letā€™s see if I understand:

There are laws and there are policies at all places I have been employed outlying Iā€™m not allowed to discriminate based on age, gender, religion or sexual orientation.

So as things currently stand, at the very least not allowing SSM is a form of discrimination, which is illegal.

1 Like

You were asked to provide examples. Not thoughts and feelings.

No, Iā€™m not saying you arenā€™t allowed to have thoughts and feelings. You use broad brush strokes as support to an argument and when you were asked to pin point specific examples, which you didnā€™t.

Incorrect.
As things currently stand SSM is illegal.

There are no specific examples as the law has not passed yet. How can I provide specific examples for something that hasnā€™t happened yet?

Broad brush strokes is all we have to go on at the moment.

Iā€™m more worried about the bullies who are telling couples who love each other that they are not worthy of marriage. I donā€™t want to see adults who love each other being forced to fly overseas to do something that is a right to the majority of the population. However much certain people on the yes side get on your nerves, itā€™ll all be over after the vote if itā€™s yes. But loving couples will continue to get bullied and pushed around by the government for who knows how long if itā€™s a no.

4 Likes

I genuinely donā€™t understand the argument althat the changing of the marriage law may lead to other changes.

2 Likes

Mate, are you trying to be obtuse, or do you genuinely struggle with comprehension? He didnā€™t say that SSM is legal.

He pointed out that:

• Allowing hetrosexual couples to get married, but denying that right to same sex couples is a form of discrimination based on peopleā€™s sexual preference.
  • There are already all sorts of laws denying people, companies, and the government, from discriminating against people based on their sexual preferences.
  • So at the very least itā€™s disingenuous to claim that changing the marriage laws will lead to other changes. And at worst it should already be illegal to ban it.

Whatā€™s incorrect?
I agree, SSM is currently not legal, which in and of itself is discrimination based on anti-discrimination laws.

Five and half years ago, the company that I was working for relocated our office to NY. So everyone had the choice of either finding another job in Australia, or coming over to live and work in the US for a few years. It was really a pretty sweet deal.
About half the office took the deal, and moved to NY. Which meant that a whole bunch of people got married to their long-term boyfriends or girlfriends, so that they could move to the US too.
Except the one gay guy, of course. He was the only person who had to choose between taking the job in NY, and breaking up with his boyfriend of many years. Because the governments didnā€™t recognise same marriage.
It was a pretty ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  situation for him.

5 Likes

^^So as things currently stand, at the very least not allowing SSM is a form of discrimination, which is illegal.**

Errr, if he says that not allowing SSM is illegal then obviously he is inferring that it must be legal.

Or is it legally, illegal?
Or illegally legal?

I know you live in a binary world, but it is possible for co-existing legislation to conflict, i.e. something can be interpreted as legal under one set of legislation & illegal under another. Not that hard to understand.

Yet amazingly the example proffered has never been tested in court. I wonder why?

Because the federal government has the constitutional power to define and legislate on marriage. What would you test in court, itā€™s pretty clear cut that the government has this power.

1 Like

This is simply not true and ā€œspinā€. No one who votes no is suffering at all. Not now, not in the future. Being bullied is not having someone disagree with you because they are suffering discrimination. In fact once this passes they will never have to think about it again unless their child or family member comes out.
Its not about ā€œvictoryā€ or conquest, its about being able to just be alive and safe and equal. As you experience every day of your life.
Itā€™s not an issue with some giant lobby fighting to change society. Its a bunch or real human beings who are volunteers and want to just exist equally. I can introduce you to any of them if you are interested.

There is no need to be concerned. All you need to do is care.

12 Likes

The courts determined that the federal parliament only has the right to legislate or change marriage as it has done in the past.

1 Like

Also, in addition to the discrimination permitted to religious bodies under the Marriage Act, Sections 37 and 38 of the Sexual Discrimination Act provide for extensive exemptions from discrimination by religious bodies.

I have no idea about the specifics of the legislation and what might or might not be contestible. Iā€™m trying to help you follow the argument.

Iā€™m sure that girl who was sacked for saying she was going to vote No might disagree. As would those people who tried to set up a stall at Sydney Uni.

The bullying and hate is all coming from one direction.

Itā€™s only a subset of Yes voters but the sheer hatred they have is concerning for everyone.

Iā€™m quite capable of following any argument that makes sense.
That particular one is obviously ridiculous given nobody has even bothered to test it out.