Marriage is totally Gay

There’s a point amongst all this which people aren’t quite articulating.

There is a view that there is no effect on those who vote no. There is a communal effect however.

There will be people who view same sex relationships as an alternate lifestyle.

So in their view, the state normalising the relationship encourages it as a choice more so than if it was not normalised.

So what is the effect if it is normalised?

1. It should help the community to feel more together. Hetro and Gay relationships are more closely aligned. A good thing.

2. It may lead to an increase in the levels of non hetro relationships. For some this is no issue. For some this is not preferable as many mothers or fathers wants to be a grandparent and see their family carried on. Gay couples cannot both give birth to children of their own DNA. So one partner in the couple misses out.

To me the good of the first outweighs the other.

But for some, the second outweighs the first.

Point 2 is more of a communal effect. But many in the Yes vote will scorn point 2 as being non existent and irrelevant.

After much reflection. The above is how my mind summed up the whole issue.

I voted yes.

They recommend all returns be posted by october 27. Any forms received after Nov 7 wont be counted.

Imagine if the No crowd were as concerned over the gay bashings as they are over Tony getting headbutted.

11 Likes

Didn’t Tones say there hasn’t been discrimination against gays in a long time?

That’s all part and parcel of a normal society, the order on how things should be.

/sarcasm

1 Like

Yes, “thank god”…

2 Likes

Except you know, right now.

1 Like

Pretty sure that was Signor Matthew Canavan.

See para 3.

1 Like

Who thinks that Essendon should come out and make a statement on the issue?

I’m of the opinion that they shouldn’t. There’s no need. Does anyone think that if Essendon release a statement supporting SSM that it will change someone’s opinion? It seems both sides are set in their ways. I haven’t heard or seen anything on anyone changing their vote.

1 Like

It doesnt have to change opinion.

A statement can help gay and lesbian Essendon supporters feel included, valued and supported. Which is a good thing in my opinion.

7 Likes

I don’t really have a problem with whether they do or they don’t.
If they did, I’d hope they’d discuss it with the entire team list first and make their decision from there.
Kind of difficult at this time of year, I’d imagine.

Actually, . every player that wanted to, could make a joint statement,… even an internet ad saying they support YES.

Would be much more effective & meaningful, and takes the onus off the club to do, or not to do.

1 Like

True.
The eighteen captains making that statement would have been more effective than YES, too.
Assuming they all felt that way, of course.

Won’t happen at this late stage, I would have thought though, even if they wanted to.

2 Likes

Was great to see Dys and his hair out there in support.

I think the club should have released a statement supporting marriage equality particularly considering our stated aim to lead the comp in inclusivity. We’ve done well on that score with purple bombers, training top, and Hepp and Goddard seem very on board. Ah well.

3 Likes

Good stuff Bombers!

13 Likes

That is great.

Succinct, respectful.

3 Likes

Please god. No.

We’re a football club, not a political plaything.

1 Like

Again, nobody wants this.
It’s what you asked for.
Demanded, even.

3 Likes

Back in May, representatives of every AFL and AFLW team signed a petition in support of marriage equality . It is on the AFLPA site.

2 Likes