Marriage is totally Gay

Nothing to do with politics. How much clearer does this have to be?

Read the statement and tell me what political message Essendon are sending?

“We celebrate diversity and champion change because we truly believe everyone should be treated equally, and everyone matters".

It’s apolitical, decent, respectful and right.

11 Likes

Full club statement, for context:

Last night the Board and Executive of the Essendon Football Club ratified the decision to become an official signatory to Australian Marriage Equality.

The Club joins the AFL and more than 1,900 organisations to publicly support equal rights for all Australians.

CEO, Xavier Campbell, said the decision is aligned with the Club’s vision to be the most inclusive, successful and respected sporting Club in Australia.

“The Essendon family is welcoming of all people, regardless of gender, race, religion or sexuality,” Campbell said.

“We celebrate diversity and champion change because we truly believe everyone should be treated equally, and everyone matters.

“The Club understands and respects the rights of individuals to make their own personal choice on this matter, but as a Club our position on equality is clear and aligns with our values.”

For more information visit australianmarriageequality.org.au

11 Likes

That’s the best media release / statement Essendon has done in years.

20 Likes

Nothing to do with the club, but I’m just fkg sick to death of hearing about it to be honest. Both sides push their agenda to stupid levels. Il be glad when it’s over

4 Likes

#PrayForTripper

If the Libs allowed a conscience vote, you wouldn’t have to put up with any of it.

8 Likes

Fark the Libs, but to be fair, if Rudd or Gillard had the courage to legalise it when they they controlled the parliament we wouldn’t be in this situation either

15 Likes

That was a very brief window,
And it was a long time ago now.
But yes, I agree they should have.

3 Likes

Sure it wasn’t a shirtfront (or just a kiss on the forehead?
You can say NO

1 Like

I think the worst he can get is a two match suspension (down to one with an early plea). Intentional; low impact; high contact. But he may be able to get it dismissed for impact being less than low (no visible damage), or reduced to a fine if he can successfully argue it was just careless. Lack of video evidence should help too.

14 Likes

I’d just run with the “It was Tony fkn Abbott!!” defence…

And if they ran with it as an election promise, Gillard would have won the majority of the house, and Rudd would have won an election.

They were sh*t scared of the conservative portion of the party.

This. Gillard was an SSM supporter from way back if I remember, but pretty sure Joe de Bruyn & the shoppies union had enough clout at the ALP conference to prevent it ever becoming party policy.

2 Likes

I have a number of friends who are members of the Labor Party. They all couldn’t believe that Labor refused to demonstrate strong leadership in representing their supporters with 2 important social policies.

1. Legalise same sex marriage
  2. An Immigration policy that was aligned with the UN’s Human rights charter.

We would never have had an Abbott government if these 2 policies were election promises.

It had all to do with the conservative section of the Labor party

Hang your Knighthoods out for Tony.

3 Likes

That guy only did what Turnbull hasn’t the balls to do.

1 Like

“The barista and bartender says he returned to the pub and had a couple of shots of scotch.”

You were right.

That quote!

“It was nothing really remotely to do with that. It’s just about Tony Abbott — the f***ing worm that he is.

“All it was is I saw Tony Abbott and I’d had half a skinful and I wanted to nut the c***.

19 Likes

Skinful or not, at least he is a good judge of human character.

4 Likes