Marriage is totally Gay

Just me, or does it feel like one of those days when Essendon has trounced a hated rival? :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Found it. 78%. Little on the lower side. Interestingly, casting an eye over the figures there appears to be a bit of a correlation with higher no vote % and lower participation %. Perhaps the no shows who don’t have an opinion are skewing the numbers in many of those electorates.

Not all no voters did so because they hate gay people, The fact that BF can’t grasp that fact shows how ignorant he is choosing to be.

1 Like

That’s been my theory all along & the reason I was keen to vote.

I figured the highly movitated NO voters probably outnumber the highly motivated YES voters, with most of the rest of us being relatively ambivalent YES voters.

1 Like

case in point.

Lol

Conscious hate, maybe not, but sib-conscious no doubt, just “other” reason as an excuse like you do.

And I don’t hate anyone who voted No, they are just detestable ■■■■■■.

It doesn’t matter the reason (excuse). Voting against giving them equal rights is being an a-hole. And even more a-holey if you’re one of them.

I’m having mixed feelings- delighted with the nation’s vote but living in an electorate in the bottom 10 of Yes voters and the electorate next to us is the worst (74% No ffs!) is really troubling. I had a feeling it wouldn’t be great but am genuinely surprised at these figures. I knew there were a lot of ■■■■■ around here, but… wow.

Why would this even have a debate.

2 Likes

I will give you a hypothetical:

You are an immigrant:. Your home country teaches that homosexuality is evil. You come to this country and you do not speak English. Your only real contact is your local religious establishment, your local community and your family. You don’t watch/read the news as you don’t understand it.

All those around you teach you nothing but the no vote is what is required. You don’t know anything else but that no is what you need to vote because you are taught that. You vote no because you are ignorant of what is really going on.

You can still be an a-hole without its cause being your fault. If you were brought up to treat people of a different race as inferior, and never taught any differently, you’d still be an a-hole if you treated anyone of a different race as inferior.

2 Likes

You people are strange.

FAKE NEWS!

not really. being an ■■■ hole sorta implies that you know doing something will bring pain/ detriment to another but you do it anyway.

Australia’s most populated state is also the most divided in the nation when it comes to the same-sex marriage postal survey results, with 42 per cent of respondents in NSW voting No.

Like every other state or territory in Australia, the majority of respondents for the survey in NSW returned a Yes vote.

What has people scratching their heads, at least in the first hours of processing the postal survey results, is why the state recorded a No vote of 42 per cent, the highest in the country.

Perhaps most striking is that of the 17 electorates in Australia to return a majority No vote, 12 are located in western Sydney.

“Gay marriage doesn’t fit into the Australian political structure very well, because it’s not a class-based issue,” he said.
"It cuts across party lines, which is why the parties themselves have struggled to deal with the issue in recent years.

"NSW has, by far, the highest proportion of people born in non-English-speaking countries. In other words, there are other political cultural issues there in the mix in the debate in politics.

“I think that’s what you’re seeing in those western Sydney results. I understand there’s been some quite specific campaigning within the Muslim community, the Chinese community, in parts of western Sydney — and that’s something that goes under the radar.”

1 Like

Disagree.

“Good people with good hearts can have different views on this important issue.”

Blaxland MP Jason Clare
(whose constituents voted overwhelmingly for No, confirmed he still intended to vote in favour of a same-sex marriage bill.)

Translation. “good people with good hearts can still be a-holes”

1 Like

Yes so you keep showing us.

3 Likes