Mason and Max - gridiron men

Essendon certain to select Dustin Fletcher’s son Mason in 2018 national draft

ESSENDON has unearthed a Dustin Fletcher double certain to be taken in next year’s draft — Fletcher’s 197cm son.

Calder Cannons talent manager Ian Keyte said full-back Mason Fletcher was already in the frame for the 2018 national draft.

The skinny redhead, who turns 17 on Saturday, has been added to the Vic Metro squad after two impressive games for the Cannons this year.

Dustin Fletcher was prevented from coaching his son in the rooms last year because of his ASADA ban.

Mason Fletcher, son of Essendon great Dustin Fletcher.
But Dustin (400 games) and Mason’s grandfather Ken Fletcher (264) have watched the teen who will become a third generation Bomber.

“He is an absolute clone of Dustin, with his footy smarts and everything he does,’’ Keyte said.

“His rounded back and shoulders, his late entry to get a hand in from nowhere, his closing speed over the last five metres when caught out of position … all those things are Dustin over and again.

“He is looking more and more (like an AFL player) every time he goes onto the ground.

“He has those qualities his father had and I was fortunate to be around the TAC Cup when Dustin played and he plays the same as Dustin did as a 17-year-old.”

Essendon would have to bid for Mason under the AFL draft rules, just as it had to hand over pick 10 for father-son selection Joe Daniher.

Where he eventually fits into the order will depend on his TAC Cup form in the next 18 months, but already he is raising eyebrows.

Younger brother Max Fletcher, playing under-16 football at Calder, is yet to have a growth spurt but at 178cm also has talent.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/essendon/essendon-certain-to-select-dustin-fletchers-son-mason-in-2018-national-draft/news-story/6fe34ccab6ddfd4d984993f44bef6c36

22 Likes

BRING HIM IN!

“Certain”?

LOL

4 Likes

Now that’s kinda unfair. My growth spurt was the only thing that got me to 178cm at all!

37 Likes

I seriously just can’t wait. Everything crossed for the lad

1 Like

2018 draft, … soooo pick 18 then.

Good deal.

Actually, he’s 17 now, …, … does 2018 draft mean this November?? or next?

When is he 18?

If he’s 18 in 2018, and we get him for pick 18, … he’ll be 18.

6 Likes

Amaze.

Here’s hoping Hirdys boys make a return to footy as well.

1 Like

What is a junior Inspector Gadget called? Gadge? Gidge? Fridge magnet? Good move Bombers. Draft him early before his price is inflated.

How many trips Mason get suspended?

11 Likes

Fletch.

6 Likes

I’m so just going to call him dusty, fark it

3 Likes

■■■ Yes!

Penny… or Brain

4 Likes

A Dustin clone? Holly Molly.

1 Like

The footage of him was scary. You’d swear it was dusty. If he’s good enough take him. Simple

Looks skinny, won’t last.

12 Likes

Will take too many years of development.

Rookie list prospect only

Slide Mason Slide

3 Likes

If not Fletch, … it would have to be “Chip” … right?

“added to the Vic Metro squad after two impressive games for the Cannons this year”

2 possessions last game according to Father son thread… Typo in F&S thread??

11 Likes