MATCH REPORT - Intra 21/01 - WE WON

Always wanted to try one of these. For play by play commentary please see and thank DJR/nick_93/alex.f.94 in the other thread

*accuracy not guaranteed

Rough Lineups
Black going to the Rockwall end --------- Red going to the Carpark end
McG Riddler McN --------- Redman VFL6 VFL35
McK Gleeson Jerret --------- Begley ? Clarke
Zaka Jobe Goddard --------- Long Myers Mutch
Raz Brown Lav --------- Kelly Ambrose Stanton
Green Stew Walla --------- Dea Hurls Bags
R - Luey, Lang, Dys --------- R - Smack, Hocking, Bird
INT Parish, Zerret --------- INT ?
lots of rotations and some team changes once they started, including Hartley off early

Rehab group - Morgan, Daniher, Smack (after Q1), Howlett, Francis, Long after Q2
No Hooker and anyone else not listed (or I’ve missed)

Black team was setup with a well balanced forwardline and Red team with balanced back line to counter.
Mids were I thought evenly matched.
The first half was normal match play. After half time, coaches would call for setups in different positions, boundary throw ins, ball ups on the wing, etc. This lasted for another qtr before they broke up into normal training for the last 20mins.
Lacking key talls (Joe, Hooker, Hartley after Q1, Bellc) meant long, high kicking was out. Saw a lot more run from HB and through the middle.

First half scores:
Black - Heppell 2, Fantasia 2.2, Walla 2, Luey 2, Brown, Parish, Jobe, Green 1.1
Red - Myers, Bird, VFL 1, VFL 35

Things I noticed:

• Jerret looked decent off half back, was in positions to receive and run, skills were good
  • Hurley dominated Stewart although some delivery to Stewart was average (kicks over his head)
  • Fantasia was running Bags around quite a bit, could’ve easily kicked 4 or 5
  • Mutch got involved well from a wing but turned over 2 or 3 in a row
  • Myers/Hocking/Bird very good for Reds from stoppages
  • Dys/Zerret usual class, finding targets inside 50
  • Langford looking beastly but a few skill errors, missed handballs
  • Luey went forward and kicked 2 in 2 minutes, Hurley not impressed
  • Walla ok, kicked a ripper from a pocket after getting around 2 others
  • Parish/Clarke/Begley definitely won a few hardballs against more seasoned players
  • Green missed a set shot
  • Fantasia was giving it to Baguley at one point, bit of feeling around!
No training or training reports today? Then what am I supposed to read?
Come back tomorrow lunchtime... it'll all be worth it.

Paul Cousins is doing an intraclub match report.

cough

Cafe was shut.

Jobe looks in ripping shape. Was very vocal and his stoppage work was exceptional. His handballs out to space are amazing.
Parish has put on some serious muscle. His back is huge.
Gleeson was a stand out ay HBF.

When you look in the middle and Jobe, Hep and Myers we look big. These boys will give Parish and Zerrett a chop out all year.

Looks like Walla forward. His double shimmy snap goal was elite. He ended up doing forward stoppage work at the end of training.

I thought Dylan Clarke was good around the ball and has good size.
Begley doesn’t look fat. Just a ball of muscle.
Hurley has dropped considerable muscle I reckon but still attacks with the same venom.

Good to see the boys run around. Lots of competition for different spots.

Stants is, unsurprisingly, not a lockdown defender kind of guy.

Gleeson probably topped the marks tally.

I barely noticed Jerrett.

Heppell got lots.

Redman was busy given he had little support from the rest of his red forward line.

Ambrose (red) largely cancelled Brown (black), apart from the goal in the first minute. If we’re minus Hartley and Hooker and Joe and Bellchambers he’s an obvious in.

Langford almost entirely a starting centre square mid. If we’re low on talls it will be interesting to see how they use him. Maybe he and Jobe alternate “resting” forward.

@wimmera1

You look at the depth on the HBF. None as exciting as Tippa though.

But you see what he can do up forward. Every time the ball goes near him something happens.
With Raz on the wing and Green the only other small forward Tippa is an exciting option.

I though McGrath was ok without being outstanding. Didn’t seem to have that frantic competitive nature we have seen before. He will get there. Disposal was good at times but one turn over costs a goal. He will be great when he has confidence to demand the footy on the overlap.

Score was approx Blacks 12.6.78 Reds 6.4.40

Always good the start the season with a win.

@wimmera1

But you see what he can do up forward. Every time the ball goes near him something happens.
With Raz on the wing and Green the only other small forward Tippa is an exciting option.

I though McGrath was ok without being outstanding. Didn’t seem to have that frantic competitive nature we have seen before. He will get there. Disposal was good at times but one turn over costs a goal. He will be great when he has confidence to demand the footy on the overlap.

He doesn’t have to stay at HBF (although, again, I think he should when match-ups permit).
I just think Tippa to Raz makes a Lot more sense than Raz to Tippa.
There was a poster here (and a greyhound if I’m not mistaken) named RioliLloydGoal.
Mad if we don’t.
Especially with Raz and Green.

But that’s just me.

Hot Chip report?

Of the fringe players Long and McKenna looked promising.

Long baulks and is able to find space and change the direction of play.

McKenna’s disposal was outstanding including a long slanted pass into the forward line.

Bird played a solid game.

McGrath made a solid contribution although was challenged in the air.

Begley looks promising but is still adjusting to the pace of the game.

Fantasia, Walla and Green were all dangerous on the forward line but there were few talls for them to feed off.

Goddard and Heppell played well and saw plenty of the ball.

Gleeson will be unlucky if he doesn’t make the side for the first game - he was very good today.

Hocking finished with a goal and was a real presence in the packs.

The main problems are the absence of key forwards without Daniher and Hooker and ruck support for Leuenberger (who is in great form) unless McKernan can be promoted from the rookie list.

Interesting to see David Evans back at the club.

Apparently his passion for football is returning.

@wimmera1

He doesn’t have to stay at HBF (although, again, I think he should when match-ups permit).
There was a poster here (and a greyhound if I’m not mistaken) named RioliLloydGoal.
Mad if we don’t.

But that’s just me.

Yep I’m with you.

Except I’d have Orazio wing (or at least HFF). And I like Green enough to give him a chance.

Should of been forcefully evicted from the premises

For real?

We obviously assume things and in actual fact know nothing.

For real?

We obviously assume things and in actual fact know nothing.

Really. How about asking Hird to lie to ASADA about a certain phone call between Evans And Demetriou?
@wimmera1

Mad if we don’t.

But that’s just me.

I loved what tippa provided of half back last year but he was always vulnerable in the air. I think we can get the value from his strengths without exposing his weakness by pushing him forward. No that doesn’t mean he should be left to rot in a forward pocket. I expect him, fanta, colyer and maybe green too, to rotate pretty heavily through fwd pocket, high forward, and wing. We’ll see plenty of all of them running from behind the ball and through the middle as well as feeding off crumbs deep forward and getting behind defences as the furthest man forward.

How did Joe go in that q1?

Thread implosion in 3,2,1

SAGA THREAD
SAGA THREAD
SAGA THREAD

How did Joe go in that q1?
He went to Purgatory before the game itself started.