MATCH REPORT - Intra 21/01 - WE WON

Who were the one or two of the first year players or from outside the best 25/28 to really stake their claims?

How was Begley/Mutch?

Thanks to all

No training or training reports today? Then what am I supposed to read?
Come back tomorrow lunchtime... it'll all be worth it.

Paul Cousins is doing an intraclub match report.

cough

Everyone was awesome, I’m as giddy as a schoolboy. Watching the returning guys run around made my year, seriously. No hot chips. The Langford. That is all.

Interesting to see David Evans back at the club.

Apparently his passion for football is returning.

For real?

We obviously assume things and in actual fact know nothing.

Really. How about asking Hird to lie to ASADA about a certain phone call between Evans And Demetriou?

Can we NOT do this in this thread please. Thankyou.

No training or training reports today? Then what am I supposed to read?
Come back tomorrow lunchtime... it'll all be worth it.

Paul Cousins is doing an intraclub match report.

cough

Everyone was awesome, I’m as giddy as a schoolboy. Watching the returning guys run around made my year, seriously. No hot chips. The Langford. That is all.

Knew you wouldn’t let us down. Thanks for the report Paul.

Can anyone confirm for me that Gleeson was switched from Red to Black to cover for Hartley when he got taken off. Or did Stants actually start on the HBF for Red?

Stants started in Red.

Update on Hartley?
Reason for Hooker not playing?

Very interesting to see Diesel watching on. It will be very interesting to see if we can up our handball skills and decision making this year.

The VFL level top ups were quite good. They were not easybeats that made our players look good.

I will concentrate on the marginals that played in the match sim, because we all know who are the core players, but I will say that Fanta and Walla are stars, Green is excellent back up, if not a pine warmer in the best 22.

Baggers. finding it tough against the likes of Tippa, and Fanta. is that because he is cooked, or just than Fanta and Tippa are stars? We may need to see him against genuine opposition during the season to find out.

Jerret. Playing off half back took his chances with several daring run and carry efforts up the guts. Not bad, in fact probably better than Stants who looked all at sea as a defender. My opinion, Jerret is more likely to make it as a HBF player than Stants.

Ambo. Played blanket defence , as we know he can, little sign of any offensive daring , but did run and maybe bounce once.

Brown. Played as a forward. Jury still out . Brown , forward or back? AFL or VFL ? probably on the edge of AFL level on our list

Ooh Ahh McGrath. Not quite ready for AFL at this point, but very close. Probably halved his contests as a back pocket.
Surprise prediction: by the beginning of the season might beat Baggers for lock down defender spot in the best 22.

Marty Gleeson. Marty had a party against a second string red forward line, was cool, read the play, intercepted , with excellent disposal. No whip marks on his back today.
Pencil him into the best 22. Nah use a biro.

Irish. Outstanding attacking attitude and disposal, excellent run and carry, defensive ability man on man needs work. Its pretty clearly the area that will keep him out of the best 22 at the moment, but is on the cusp.

Redman. Was quite impressive. Maybe wont get a lot of AFL game time this year with such good small -medium forwards ahead of him.

Langford. Best 22. Really showing some poise as a midfielder these days.
Laverde: Did not feature much today.

Myers, Hocking , Bird. They are marginal.

They took a step up today in physicality and as the physical intensity increases, the injury toll will rise. Looks like Harts did his hammy, and if its a 6 week injury , will be ready for round 1 but maybe not for the pre-season . Each day they ramp up the intensity we run the risk of injuring players and out depth will be tested.

Jerrett continues his Jetta trajectory by playing half back in preseason. Up next; 6 games at half forward before delisting.

:confused:

Id expect Fanta/Tippa/Green to destroy a lot of defenders this year having said that was Bags beaten a lot 1 on 1 or most of the chances just opportunistic play by the forwards.

I reckon people underestimate the role Gleeson will play for us this season. He was involved in almost every transition out of defence with either a handpass to a running player or a kick, not only that but was more than happy to play above his stature and provide a chop out as a 3rd tall type defender.

100% lock for round 1. Preposterous to suggest otherwise IMO.

We’re going to have a situation of a resting Jobe

with JoeDan, Hooker, Tippa, Fanta and Green with him.

You have all the marking, crumming, handballing, running, kicking, spoiling, ground level magic you need there to kick a ■■■■ load of goals.

You put the ball at the top of the goal square, I doubt it’s coming out.

Of the fringe players Long and McKenna looked promising.

Long baulks and is able to find space and change the direction of play.

McKenna’s disposal was outstanding including a long slanted pass into the forward line.

Bird played a solid game.

McGrath made a solid contribution although was challenged in the air.

Begley looks promising but is still adjusting to the pace of the game.

Fantasia, Walla and Green were all dangerous on the forward line but there were few talls for them to feed off.

Goddard and Heppell played well and saw plenty of the ball.

Gleeson will be unlucky if he doesn’t make the side for the first game - he was very good today.

Hocking finished with a goal and was a real presence in the packs.

The main problems are the absence of key forwards without Daniher and Hooker and ruck support for Leuenberger (who is in great form) unless McKernan can be promoted from the rookie list.

Interesting comment on McGrath JM. Being challenged in the air was a concern some had pre draft.

He is such an exciting prospect but will be interesting to observe how serious this limitation in the air is.

He’s just short.

Way shorter than I expected.

He's just short.

Way shorter than I expected.

He’s no TIPPA.

(will leave that statement for others to interpret)

We need to cut Ooh Ahh a bit of slack. Today he played back pocket. It was about his first outing in a match sim, in his first preseason. He has about 8 weeks of this to go before round 1. He is on a steep learning curve. He could still make it to best 22 round 1without being gifted a game.

I agree RE Jerret. I thought he looked really lively off half back especially early on. Got involved a fair bit.

We need to cut Ooh Ahh a bit of slack. Today he played back pocket. It was about his first outing in a match sim, in his first preseason. He has about 8 weeks of this to go before round 1. He is on a steep learning curve. He could still make it to best 22 round 1without being gifted a game.

Would you pick him ahead of bags, Gleeson, Conor or Kelly on today’s form

Interesting to see David Evans back at the club.

Apparently his passion for football is returning.

He can GTFO.

Would you pick him ahead of bags, Gleeson, Conor or Kelly on today’s form

Nope.