Match Review: Adelaide v EFC Witches Hats

Can't really argue with the result.

IMO it’s got to be about quite a bit more than just Hird staying or going.

And rightly or wrongly, Hirdy may not be solely judged on his coaching right now but that is exactly the same as the players not being solely judged on their talent.

Thats just the reality of where we are at.

The only decision I am really invested in right now is whether we try to compete next year or commit to a comprehensive list regeneration process and do it properly (which will take a couple of years).

Everything else seems pretty irrelevant right now.

Wada needs to be dealt with of course, but I think even if we get a good result there, some players are probably just never going to come back from all this which is the sad reality, but reality nonetheless.

At our best (which admittedly we haven’t seen for a while) we are a good team - but as always the worry is that our full list will make us competitive and will continue to see us mid-table for years to come.

Club has a couple of big decisions to make, and not just about the coach.

I agree totally, my question is: How many would be suffering from any sort depression? No matter how severe, it has to be having a massive effect on the entire playing list.
The pressure on these young men is unbelievable and the only people that seem to give a ■■■■ are their families, supporters(well most) and the most of the club.
Everyone else has mercilessly bagged and abused the crap out of them. We are cooked. Done and dusted. i don’t know what the answer is, but it ain’t any of the bullshit I read on here. [WOB I have finished my bottle of vodka ;)]

It is now official, we are in the 70's again, the worst years of my life as an Essendon supporter and they have returned.

This is much much worse than the seventies. I don’t remember 100+ losses week after week, and we did make the finals some years even if we were always tossed out in the first round. We are experiencing our darkest period, no doubt.

Jay Clark saying Heppell close to tears in the rooms.

Will be interesting to see if there is any truth to that… Heppell loves this club and I just hope its not going to be blown up into some “Will he leave?” BS that the media love to spray about us

I’m just as frustrated as the next person watching some of our efforts and you can point the finger at him or him but its clear as day that we have so much more to overcome than that. This club is on its knees at the moment and it’s really hard to watch the boys struggle along like this. Like BJ said these players are “people” and the duress they’ve been under has finally taken its toll.
Its a sad and testing time in history. Sacking Hird is not going to change that right now. The season end can’t come quick enough.

We aren’t great but we aren’t anywhere near as bad as this. Support the team and never forget what this group has had to go through.

Lol stein Worst game ever...like ever
If Steinberg didn't play we would have won!
  • Marty Funkhauser

"Steinberg has been directly responsible for every goal the opposition has kicked on us since 1997’

I KNOW RIGHT!!!

Remember the '99 prelim when all Steinberg had to do was kick it into the forward 50 but Fraser Brown tackled him??

AND WE LOST BY ONE POINT!!! Frigging Steinberg!!!

The only thing worse than our performance was hearing the snide remarks of the ■■■■■ in the commentary box.

Coudln’t give a rats what they say, after I heard one of them say Carlisle was having an excellent game, put it on mute. Obviously the person who made the idiotic statement was not watching the same game is me.

Stants our best Hird will get a severe blowtorch this week . .Will he survive? Not sure how we turn this around Campo > hird as coach who would have thought?

Stanton had no real influence on the game when 24 of his 30 touches were uncontested in a loss over 100 points.

Spot on!!!

We’re undermanned and struggling everywhere, but the real problem is the ease at which the ball comes in and out our forward line. Ranked 18th by a bit for scoring % and I’d guess 18th for score returns on forward 50 entries.
If the ball hits the deck its out with interest.
Teams always have an extra down back and we seem to have even numbers in their forward line. Where’s the extra number? At the contest? Because we’re not winning there either.

Being a player right now is like getting a pet cat, only for the cat to be run over by you in your car, found innocent by the court, only for your neighbours to continually call you a cat killer, then to be told then if you don’t cheer up they’ll shoot your dead cat…

To me that’s what it must feel like to be playing for Essendon right now. News just can’t get worse. You’d be numb to it all.

3/4 time 58 point down, a chance to show some committment and work.

Come full time and they have almost doubled the lead they had at 3/4, they kicked a lead of 54 points in one 1/4 and end the game with a 112 point win.

That is the most difficult thing to see happen. Rolling over and giving up is gut-wrenching to watch.

Will be interesting to see if there is any truth to that… Heppell loves this club and I just hope its not going to be blown up into some “Will he leave?” BS that the media love to spray about us

Jay is in the rooms so he does have a good view of it. Don't think it would be blown up this week of all weeks.
Same disposals, more clearances, more tackles, 14 more handball receives, same free kicks....lose by 112. Utterly incomprehensible.

that is crazy but true

Lol stein Worst game ever...like ever
If Steinberg didn't play we would have won!
  • Marty Funkhauser

"Steinberg has been directly responsible for every goal the opposition has kicked on us since 1997’

I KNOW RIGHT!!!

Remember the '99 prelim when all Steinberg had to do was kick it into the forward 50 but Fraser Brown tackled him??

AND WE LOST BY ONE POINT!!! Frigging Steinberg!!!

Or the 1948 grand final where he kicked 32 of our 27 behinds and we drew!

AND WE LOST THE REPLAY!!! Frigging Steinberg!!!

Closer than I thought we'd get

That’s the spirit

Jay is in the rooms so he does have a good view of it. Don't think it would be blown up this week of all weeks.

It should be. It will show that there are real people behind the headlines.

Would it be more honourable to forfeit

Why do people keep bagging Steinberg? Hes played ■■■■ all games and keep getting the oppositions tallest forward or resting ruckmen in a team thats getting thrashed! Holding Jenkins to 3 goals was a top effort considering!

He simply is not AFL standard, if we accept players like him as best 22 then we will continue to be an irrelevant side in this competition. He tries hard, works hard but just doesn’t have the skills for this level. It is not about who he plays on and what he is copping by playing on them, it is simply about whether he is good enough and he isn’t.

Well why bag him? Who else should we get to play? He might not be good enough now, but hes putting in a lot better effort than the plodders up the ground and in the middle and playing a ■■■■■■ hard role.
We at least want the players to have a decent crack and Hirdy would be picking him because he at least has a ■■■■■■■ crack. If he got to play on blokes with similar body size hed be doing a lot better but ■■■■■■ hard under the circumstances.
Many potted Hooker and he came good.
Give the guy a chance!

Hey guys…fark Carlton.

Stants our best Hird will get a severe blowtorch this week . .Will he survive? Not sure how we turn this around Campo > hird as coach who would have thought?

Stanton had no real influence on the game when 24 of his 30 touches were uncontested in a loss over 100 points.

Spot on!!!

Wow, imagine an outside midfield player who runs all over the ground getting uncontested ball! Shocking thing to happen in a game of footy. Heaven forbid that an inside midfielder might win it for him and feed it out to the outside midfielder.

I say we look at Stanton and blame him for the loss. Spot on indeed!

JET FUEL CAN’T MELT STEAL BEAMS.