Match Review - FARK Carlton

Carlton are actually quite a fit team. They constantly spread and gave multiple options to the players with the football. We did not go with those players or anticipate this constant movement. Our forwards sat back and we allowed them to play 7 in defence when we should have just played 7 up forward but played in front not sat back waiting for pack marks.

If every other club doesn’t watch this game and replicate what the Blues did I would be very surprised.

Learn from on it and get ready for the next game.

3 Likes

It makes no sense to me that the player should be penalised for not keeping it in. But I think for sure in that situation it should be a throw in, it looks ridiculous having a player jog after a gettable ball with his arms in the air asking for deliberate before it’s even close to going out yet.

2 Likes

To be honest, I wasn’t so fussed about our players endeavour or skills. I thought we were better. My issue was entirely positioning, hand balling, manning up and generally playing dry weather footy. Which I assume was the game plan, so I lay this at Worsfold’s feet.

Started watching replay on fox and they’ve already paid Carlton 2 free kicks for holding the ball.

Just infuriated me even more. Silvagni now just got caught holding the fkn ball and the umpires calls play on!

Umpiring was fkn atrocious.

12 Likes

It’s just another unintended consequence of a stupid unnecessary rule change. There was a perfectly good rule.
Out of bounds - throw in,
out of bounds on the full - free kick.
Then they had to bring in intent.
If they want to get the interpretation of intent correct, then they should have a ten minute break and hear arguments for and against.

10 Likes

How good was Marchbank by the way. Or was it the other GWS import? Whoever it was was close to BOG

Watched that Out On the Full by James Kelly in the 3rd Quarter where the ball went 50m from one side of the field to the other was ridiculous. Not did it only travel 50m+, it travelled significantly forward.

The Carlscum muppet didn’t even attempt to get the ball and let it go over made it an even worse call.

Calls like that ruin the game.

6 Likes

If they made deliberate only to paid if it’s less than 15 metres it might work better. I think the bomb long deliberate should be allowed, it’s a fair play

1 Like

Agreed. He wasn’t played on the ball at all today.

He scored one sixth of our goals.

I’ve always thought the best players are the ones who don’t fumble in the wet.

Watson, Zerrett, Parish, Gleeson, Hurley, Ambrose (unexpected), Daniher, Tippa, Goddard… All were clean

Heppell, usually is in the wet, had a bad day… he will come out firing next week.

Langford is a worry with his hands, fumbles an aweful lot today. But some of the others were aweful. Stanton and Zaka were the two who I thought fumbled way to much today.

Wet games can go either way, I’m not panic stations, it’s a kick up the ■■■■ we need though. And even with us playing awefully, it being wet. A bit of composure in the early stages of the last and we could have stolen it.

Tough game next week against the crows.

2 Likes

In every way, this game played out exactly as expected.

Couple of decent wins against ■■■■-truck teams. Check

Milestone game. Check.

Shithouse weather. Check.

FarkCarlton coming in as underdogs. Check.

Questionable work at the selection table. Check.

Poor decisions in the box and on the field over the 4 quarters. Check and check.

If anyone was actually surprised by this than you are either new to this whole ‘supporting Essendon’ thing or you’ve been tuned out for the last 15 years.

6 Likes

Is Green back next week?

The problem is, what’s deliberate? I don’t think intent should be a determinative factor in so many rules. It may need to be there for some, but to deliberately go out and change rules to bring in intent is lunacy.
It just makes it harder to umpire fairly. And it is why so many people are complaining about the umpiring already, and we are only in round three.
It’s not going to get better.

1 Like

this

I must have been watching a different game. I thought most of those players fumbled today.

1 Like

No info other than club information along the way but yes the official line was that yes it was a 2 week-er. Has that changed? I don’t know.

Can we talk about Mitch Brown? I thought he was really good today albeit despite struggling a bit in the last qtr and a bit when it started really ■■■■■■■ down and the whole team was poor

1 Like

I agree it’s a bad rule, but when has the AFL ever changed their mind and gone back again? They just keep bringing in new tweaks

2 Likes

It is one week and no doubt when the season is coming to a close, this week will probably come back up in discussions.

Wasted opportunity. I could write an essay in frustration but quite simply I get so freakin annoyed that we get undone by the same crap.

The biggest gripe is the inability to deal with the spare man in defence. I mean it really has become laughable how easy it is to completely shut down our attack. Put a man behind the ball and we will continually kick it to him… over and over and over again.

Even with the game on the line, five minutes to play… Goddard breaks free from the congestion after a boundary throw in on the wing… streams though the centre square and promptly kicks it straight over the leading forward into the spare farking man in defence… ffs!! Although it seems unfair to single out BJ… they all did it.

Oh and how hard is it to give the instruction “play in front”… you would have thought we were allergic to it… Ambrose was about the only one that even attempted to get in front at the contest. So so so so so disappointing.

I won’t call today pathetic because I think they were all giving their best… but boy I found it infuriating to watch. At no point did I feel like we accepted the wet conditions were a factor and played accordingly. I pray that we have nothing but blue skies for the rest of the season.

3 Likes

Same old Essington.

3 Likes

Watson couldn’t collect or dispose of the thing. He is a great player but today was much like hepps.

1 Like