Match Review - FARK Carlton

meh.

Waited for Blitz to get over the worst of it’s meltdown and hyperbole. Once they’ve finished sacking the coach and two thirds of the team we can maybe assess this game reasonably.
Shitful to lose to the scum but face it, they didn’t have to change their game plan for the conditions - that’s how they’ve played under Bolton every game.
We did and weren’t able to. That’s a key learning thing for this team hence Whoosha’s comments about chemistry and spreading from the contest.
Can’t expect this team to be masters at this immediately and so long as the players learn from this it is “the loss we had to have”
Equally laying the blame at one,two or three players misses the point of modern footy where a constant changing of roles and direct opponents is the norm. Saying so and so played on so and so went out last century.
Our actual back 7 or 8 were quite solid. Clearing the ball / transition from the back of the centre square is still an issue - other than Joe or a resting heppD or Parish we struggle to find options in the clear or leading creatively (ie not down the line) as the defenders look up.
Walla was good. Zach’s kicking still a delight. Thank you for the hit Mr Ambrose.
Onwards to next week, bring in Francis.

6 Likes

I agree…we did not adapt at all. Even during the warm up The carlscum players were rolling the ball on the ground to get used to the wet ball. We came out and kept the ball dry. How many marks did we drop? I hope Worsfold leans from this that when its wet and slippery(unlike WA) the ball is hard to handle.

That farking deliberate out of bounds has to go…nobody understands whats going on because of the inconsistansy …just ■■■■ it off or get the farking umpires all on the same page

1 Like

Chill out, Peos. You’re being over the top.

1 Like

Fark Carlton.

With a pineapple.

1 Like
1 Like

Bottom line, in any condition on talent alone we would beat that side 99 times out of 100.

Yesterday was the 1.

1 Like

Thanks Wallsy

3 Likes

Outplayed, outcoached, ridiculous umpiring. The first two lost us the game though. When you’re second to the ball all day, you’ll finish second on the scoreboard.

7 Likes

While I agree, some hard truths need to be mentioned.
That a team containing Hocking, Goddard, Jobe, Baguley, Kelly, Hooker, Looney and Stanton (all old enough and have played enough games) would still need to learn how to play wet weather footy is concerning. I could easily have added more players to that list.

We had more games experience, more mature players and more talented players, yet they got ‘out learned’ by a team that’s expected to finish bottom two.

I’m not saying we have to drop out older players and rebuild, but those older players need to learn a lot quicker otherwise the opportunity in front of them that has been given to them will be gone very quickly.

5 Likes

Fark me. We have played 3 games, we have won 2 of them and lost 1 in atrocious conditions by 15 points. We are 7th on the ladder. The sky is not falling.

23 Likes

Agree with all of this

Outcoached, outworked and outplayed.
Almost think it’s unfair to single out players, a good third of the side were absolutely invisible, including every single one of the forwards.

Bit of a reality check for those who were on us for the flag after first two weeks. Reality is we’ve got a quarter of a side of kids, a quarter of a side of guys coming back from a year’s layoff, and the remainder are basically journeymen and honest toilers. Inconsistency is going to happen.

1 Like

If almost forgotten how good it felt to reemed by a spare man in defence. Not that it was a shock mind you, they’ve played like that in the first two games

2 Likes

You can’t win them all.

No, but you can ■■■■ and moan about dumb coaching

1 Like

We’re an average team in the wet. We always seem to lose those games, especially against ■■■■ clubs. Ie. Melbourne.

Players need to adjust their mindset in the wet, and we don’t.

If your team mate has the ball, and your next to him. Lay a shepherd, instead of being a hand ball option! Shepherding is probably the most important one percent’er in the wet. We never do it. It gives your team mate an extra 1-2 seconds to collect the football (aka bar of soap) off the ground and then spot a target.

5 Likes

We played alright in the wet when Zaharakis kicked that goal on Anzac Day…

Agree we had a poor day at the office both in the coach’s box and on the ground i.e.coaches and players had poor days.

It happens; especially when you are playing on the wettest day for football I’ve been to since Anzac Day in the early 2000’s when Mark McGough won the medal.

We are neither a Top 4 team nor a Bottom 4 team; just one of a clutch of teams fighting for a spot in the lower reaches of the Top 8. All such teams have a bad flaw (which is why they are not Top 4 material) and ours is very poor clearance and contested ball winning ability to the point where haven’t won those stats once this year and thus haven’t won I50 once this year - and we’ve played three Bottom 6 sides (potentially Bottom 4 sides).

We will go nowhere up the ladder until we fix this…we cannot keep winning games by winning the ball defensively and transitioning superbly out of defence as we did in the first 2 rounds.

3 Likes

This was Woosha’s first Wet game with this side ever right? He hasn’t really seen how the players play in these conditions.

We won’t be the same next time.

2 Likes

Carlton being better than us at sht-tier footy should be no surprise.

2 Likes