Match Review - FARK Carlton

Who’s to say there wasn’t? Heppell certainly didn’t say there wasn’t. He said they failed to think their way through it. Maybe they just didn’t man up when they should have because they somehow thought they could continue to play dry weather football; i.e. didn’t think their way through it. Who knows.

Yes, and if you do make the call to let them run with the spare in defence. Then don’t go with “we had opportunities to just scramble the ball forward and we’d try to find a perfect little handball and cough it up”.

Dinky handpasses weren’t working. Neither was scrambling the ball forward while they had a spare in defence.

The spare had to be manned up first, then compliance on the scrambled kicks out of packs may have increased.

At the very least it wouldn’t have hurt to have tried to man the bloke up for 10 minutes or so and just see what happened.

1 Like

You’re right I don’t know. Regardless I still think the coaches key the players down here, it should have been a pretty simply thing to address from the coaches box. But I’ve obviously never coached at that sort of level so what do I know

There are a lot of people who didn’t perform on the day. On the ground and off the ground.

2 Likes

When we lose to Fark Carlton, I get too grumpy to even be allowed to try to perform.

3 Likes

We kicked three goals after quarter time :frowning:

They kicked six but it should have been ten.

We were just so bad.

We had the older men out there, we should have bashed them in the middle and worn them down but instead we allowed them to play far more uncontested than they allowed us.

Coaches had a role in it but there was also no leadership on the field- good sides have players who will identify and fix problems on field as they are happening. We had none of that.

Might be a good wake up call from a list management perspective.

3 Likes

I’ve never tried to perform, on ground, with 50,000 watching. People telling you to harden up would just make it worse too.

3 Likes

That’s why I don’t understand how people are so obsessed with filming themselves.

Our poisoning around the contest all day was below par. They had a mid behind their ruck in the centre and won so many clearances from it. Then have players 20 metres behind the contest for the quick kick out, then four players setting up behind our forwards.

There really shouldn’t be a whole lot of thinking. Find the player, stay with him.

Yep, we needed stronger poison.

8 Likes

Yes.
It is completely unknowable.
We must entertain the idea that Worsfold specifically matched up Docherty, possibly with different players, and each time that player defiantly refused to follow instructions.

It could have happened.
There’s just no way of knowing.

7 Likes

One thing the conditions highlighted, is just how slow Heppell is. The conditions made it hard to change direction, which meant a lot of straight line running, taking away his lateral movement which usually gets him out of trouble.

At one stage, he had to give away a professional free kick because Simon White was about to burn him off.

Simon friggin White.

7 Likes

You reckon the last 5 years have been planned?
Have you been under a rock for all that time? What an absolutely idiotic statement.

1 Like

Oh, and I still think we have a good enough list to lose an elimination final.

6 Likes

We put Tippa loose back early in the second half after he started forward. Hard to believe the coaches couldn’t work out that that gave them more frees back, not fewer.

I’m pretty sure we ran basically our normal setup. Carlton set up really simply, 3-4 defensive side and run through and hack it forward any way how. Certainly wasn’t working for us!

He did look slow but I don’t agree that it is what Heppell will be in these conditional(if that is what was allured) . Heppel’s game showed what a year out of footy can do.

What let him down was his quick decision making, where he tried to get into the right position to kick, handball and mark instead of just trying to get it away as soon as possible. That holding the ball against him was a great indicator where he got the ball, tried to steady himself and get the kick off when he should have just gone ball in hand and roost.

Agree on the lateral movement but the next wet game he will just(should) focus on quick disposal instead of trying to be over effective.

He wasn’t the only one though.

Maybe take a breath, have another think about it then realise how silly your response was. The “5 year plan” statement was of course a reference to Wallace & Richmond’s famous 5 year plan that ended up with them as shyte as ever. We have been rebuilding for more than a decade already & we still haven’t won a final let alone threatened to go deep into September. The idea that its just all going to magically be better in 3 more years is fanciful & its that type of 5 year plan thinking that has been the mission statement here for a long time. Our list right now is the best its been for a decade imho & I believe if we can’t challenge for finals this year then a real wholesale rebuild is needed.

3 Likes

That holding the ball came about because he couldn’t move laterally.

On a dry day, he takes one big stride sideways, finds space and hits a team mate on the chest.

His fumbles were a separate issue.

Mate, that list of players you have mentioned, more than half are coming back from a year of suspension, a couple have played their first game on the weekend and the rest have been performing well…you can’t expect them to be in ‘brownlow’ medal form this early.