Match review. Hawks victim 1

To be fair…
They’ve had four farking years of umpiring armchair rides.
They shouldn’t be complaining for four years.

5 Likes

Mitchell and Lewis played alright this weekend didn’t they? Hodge was probably BOG at some bender too.

2 Likes

An observation.

Basil can gagf.

anyone that says fairest and best winner needs to be sterilised.

5 Likes

It’s just Sandgropers trying to be different.

I think richos the only saturday night commentator i can stand.

bas is braindead
ling is braindead
darcy is braindead

and we kicked more goals than behinds.

1 Like

I think it also helped that we made them look more ordinary than usual.

1 Like

Hilarious how Merrett attracted almost zero comments from the professional commentators.

5 Likes

Commentary complaint #3.

basil tries to amp up the situation. instead he deflates it spectacularly.

And… Pretty sure Clarkson referred to him as Jack Merret in the post match presser.

Maybe we can trade Jerret to the Hawks?

13 Likes

Owned us. Seem to remember we took them out just before the sky fell in and they went on to a flag. Duly noted

Great…now Langford is hearing voices.

Those days are gone!!!..I hope.

Nah. Next time we play then we should name Jackson Merrett too. Clarko will then set a tag on the wrong guy.

8 Likes

It has taken until my third watch of the replay to notice that Jack Gunston was playing last night.

5 Likes

Game review: Essendon v Hawks

So let’s all be honest…none of us really knew what the players would produce last night before the game. Was a nervous but excited kind of feeling i sensed in the crowd. The Pre-Season saw patches of really promising form but then also moments where heavy goals were scored against us…so which Essendon was the true representation? Can the players play out a full game?.Can the new forward setup work in the real season? Can the 6 returning players get back to form we know they are capable of? These were the questions we were asking each other as fans. The great news is we got answers to all of them and what wonderful answers they were.
Let’s begin with the returning 6 and first with our new captain Heppell. That for me was the best game Heppell has played for the club…to do this after not playing for the last 18 months makes that quite incredible. If Heppell can be equally as dangerous resting forward then he really elevates his impact to games quite significantly. I loved his last goal to seal the win. Goddard had let him know better options but Hepps just calmly said…i got this mate. Kicked it 50 metres through the middle. That moment said a lot about his leadership capabilities.
Hooker. The coaching staff would of easily taken 3 goals from him with the lack of match practice Cale has had up to this point. He provides the ability to leave Joe Daniher one on one with opponents which then makes Joes very dangerous. Great stuff Hooksy …but we all know he has more room to improve with more game time. Exciting.
Jobe: In the 2nd half when the game got tense started to work himself into the game and we started seeing the Jobe we know. Like Hooksy will only get better but a very solid game. 8 tackles tells you how hard he worked.
Stanton: Disposal spot on. Leadership and calmness when we needed was great. Importantly kicked 2 long goals when team needed them the most. I love Stants and no one works harder in a game to help out his team mates.
Hurley: Hurls out of the six I feel is coming back a bit further behind and still needs a few more games to get back to his old self. He was more than serviceable and played a big part but you could tell his upside is still very big. That game will be so important for him. Said in the change rooms to a guy near me with a smile…“mate I am so stuffed” :slight_smile:
Colyer: Trav was really impressive. So much needed pace but what I am noticing is his kicking is much more reliable. I love that he takes the game on.
Players of note that were really big:
McGrath: Yes McGrath. Forget the 22 possessions and 5 tackles(which is impressive) McGrath for most of the night was on Bruest who is one of the premiere mid size forwards in the comp. On the odd occasions he switched to Rioli with Bageluy. In total Bruest and Rioli combined had 24 touches and 2 goals. The kid is 18 and was game 1.
Goddard: Maybe Goddard’s best game for a few years. His kicking was elite and creative. He had 29 touches & 5 tackles so worked his butt off. If he can have this kind of form then it really does make the side functioning really well due to his versatility.
Parish: Only knows one way…100 miles an hour to contests. What a great pick up he has been. Sense he will go to the next level as well.
Ambrose: Completely shut down again his opponents. He does it consistenelty now…one of his best games however last night was really impressive as he got the ball more himself
Zerrett: In short: serious gun!!!. Brownlow sneak.
Other mentions were McKernan , Walla and seriously Fantasia is close to being an elite small forward in the AFL…if not there already.
The game plan was a huge improvement. Faster ball movement is what is helping us score more easily. We are more direct and play more on instinct. Walla and Green moving up the ground at times too help get some run through the middle at times.
The day started around 4pm and at the end I ended up luckily enough in the change rooms till about 11pm. The whole time in this saga I have had a real love and desire for the players and making them know they are supported. To have a March of around 10,000 and then 78,000 mostly essendon fans just screaming support was I believe a magical moment for both them and us. We would of done it no matter the scoreboard. To win the game however and celebrate with their families and friends afterwards was so nice to see and it’s a moment I won’t forget.
I was thinking today of Rick Edwards great"We Are Essendon" book. There are so many people either in the club or externally that have suffered in various ways due to this 4 year injustice. Last night I hope for all of those who suffered it gave some much needed healing. It’s the beginning of a new journey…not all pain will be healed but to see the smiles on Jobe and returning players is a HUGE step in the right direction for a proud 140 year old club. On to Brisbane we go…and with the lions having a big win this weekend you have to take the next team just as serious. If we come with the same intent I think we can get over the line.
Thanks fans for supporting the day and Essendon as a tight knit family has been really the significant positive to come out of this mess. it’s now ours and players time to enjoy. Go Bombers

55 Likes

4: Luke Darcy

1 Like

Havent read all the replies. Heaps of content since the win.

For me best things were:
1 Being there live, crowd was electric, my row q11row r was basically all essendon supporters. Louder roars than anzac day imo.
2 walk to the g, i dont think i saw many hawks supporters just a wave of black and red, and we left a little later around 6:30 from riverland bar.
3 Tippa watching live, first game i have seen him as didnt get over last year. Crowd love him. There was a little 7 year old ess fan and he just wanted us to get the ball into his hands as h then things would happen. As a forward he us like Rioli only needs 14 touches for a great game. Tippa got 17 disposals, 17 pressure acts and 10 score involvements inc 3 goal assists.

4 Heppell 34 disposals 20 pressure acts, 11 score involvements and 3 captains goals. I had confidence with him going back and slotting the goal was good. If we dominate as a team he is a chance for the brownlow - blonde hair and dreads, he is easily noticeable, zerrett should go bald like judd or put some peroxide in his hair like aker if he wants a chance at the brownlow.

5 Zerrett, quality 10 score involvements, 16 pressure acts, our best in (748)metres gain stat, when he has it i think we arent gonna go backwards or sideways only forwards to a good option. Class.

6 McGrath i wasnt expecting much after jlt and low possession counts,but he is all class like zerrett. He is a real competitor and that leap is very handy in getting the spoil, a very good debut game, in the running for rising star this week. A lock in the 22. I was more comfortable with him on rioli than Baguley! He can get better too. I didnt think we saw that much run from defence and he did a couple of times get loose but wasnt used.

7 Hooker and daniher partnership worked well. They both xreated a contest and brought the ball down if couldnt mark it both performed well imo

8 mosquito fleet- green, Fanta, Tippa
All were good . I thought greens defensive work was very good. He must be very fit, compared to last Year.

9 look at the top mids in fantasy points.
1 Hepell
2 Z Merrett
3 T Mitchell
4 B Goddard
5 J Watson
6 D Parish
7 B Stanton
8 Langford
I know its on fantasy points but we were dominating.

10 hawks fans leaving early, great to see.

4 Likes

Ok by popular request…

34 Likes

J Daniher looks to have put on some size over the off season.

2 Likes