Match review. Hawks victim 1

Watched replay 4th time

We could have been 32 - 1

10 mins in

Danniher shanks a few, BJ misses one he’ll make from now on.

We’ll obliterate brissie.

1 Like

If I was clarkson I would go. while the win/loss % is still good and Hawks on slide with not much in draft picks / talent coming through.

My Hawks mate thinks Clarkson wants to rebuild the side.

He’s done it once why wouldn’t he try again as long as he had the support of the board. This time round I don’t see any candy as attractive as Thompson, croad, Rawlings and hay to pump their draft position up though. I think it will be a harder slower rebuild this time.

When he did it the first time he took a list which was in a prelim but deemed not good enough to advance so he shrewdly sold of the overvalued kps on the list, not one of those trades bit him. He also had the advantage of first round priority selections which don’t exist anymore.

His first objective will be to find some a grade bookends. It wouldn’t surprise at all to see them tank spectacularly in the next couple of years and trade some of their mid range talent with value - e.g breust. I expect they’ll also be trying to trade for and attract more young talent of the kp variety. They’ll over someone like Francis a wildly inflated contract just to prize him loose.

2 Likes

When do Hawthorn next get a first-round pick? 2024 or 2025?

6 Likes

If he wants to rebuild, he made the wrong decisions last year.

Maybe not.

What the ■■■■ do I know.

Or care.

6 Likes

The commentators did not give up hope of a Hawthorn win until they had to kick 6 goals in 3 minutes,
Such is the aura of expectation around a side that is clearly diminished.

TBH, Burgoyne and especially Gibson look to be cooked. Frawley is an average player. The Hawthorn defence looks susceptible. Of the 10 Hawthorn players rated elite or above average, the performances of Rioli, Burgoyne, Breust, Gibson and Gunston were below average.

2 Likes

They all had ‘corkies’ though, didn’t they?

4 Likes

The moment Clarko realised they were farked. Just after this he reached for the kleenex,

1 Like

I preferred the look on his face at the start of the last when he realized we’d already goaled

7 Likes

All nipped by corgi’s you say?
Hmmmm

Actually I dont recall one shot of the Essendon coaches box, but about 6 of the Hawthorn box in various states of disarray.

3 Likes

Woosh isn’t particularly demonstrative

3 Likes

Omera & Mitchel isn’t a bad place to start but they have very much sacrificed last & this years draft to do it. I think they must have more targets set up & plans to get them cheaply (free agents like Fyfe maybe). They have very little trade value on their list with only Sicily & maybe O’Brien as younger talls of any value & their mid aged midfielders are not much chop either. Guys like Hartung, Duryea & Whitecross are not going to get them back into the 1st round I wouldn’t have thought (are North still that dumb?). Shiel would get them some value as would guys like Breust & Gunston but would they trade these guys & would they realistically improve their list by trading them? Maybe by the end of the year some of their lesser known guys will get their chances & reveal more depth than it appears but I certainly hope they fall into an abyss & drop out of contention for a long time.

4 Likes

I think the angriest look on his face was when he realized that they had traded for Tyrone Vickery.

Cos there is NO WAY he would have agreed to that had they asked him about it.

4 Likes

My voice is still farked.

Luckily I have this week off (boomerang championship in SA).

3 Likes

Both lots of good points. Honestly, I don’t understand the Hawks approach. T Mitchell was a no brainier at the price Sydney asked and given his age. He cost a single relevant pick, odds were long to get someone better.

But O’meara cost them heaps of picks. Both 2016 and 2017. Now, even if they fall down the ladder this year they get no benefit. So why not keep Lewis and Mitchell and go one more time? Clarkson has said salary cap wasn’t the issue.

Their major problem is they need to replace a half dozen guns over the next 3-4 years. Taking 4-5 picks with long odds and replacing them with O’meara may be sensible from a “probability of turning picks into a gun” perspective, but leaves no currency to fill the other 3-4 gaps they have from ageing players.

1 Like

you know what they recommend for a sore throat and voice… something HOT.

3 Likes

firstly can someone tell me how to quote a post rather than just reply?

Overall they basically traded their 1st & second round picks for 2 years to get 2 top talent players (1 with some injury ???). Drafting 1 guy of that talent level per year would be a pass mark for any club particularly 1 that finishes top 8 . Like you say though the sting is really the loss of later picks that at least gives some chance of filling the other list spots with some talent. I don’t buy Lewis & S Mitchel not being cap related. Of course the club are never going to say we had to sacrifice these 2 club champs to get these 2 younger guys we hope may be as good some day. If it wasn’t cap related then having at least 1 crack with those veterans as well as Gibson & Hodge who may be in their last year is a no brainer for club & players.
I think Hawthorn were very much hoping to pull a swifty with Jaeger. They were probably expecting GC to accept a lesser offer just like they have negotiated for other players. When the price went up (I’d like to think we helped here) Hawthorn seemed to be in a little bit of a panic. We may have also helped his salary demand increase as well which would go some way to explaining the fire sale .

2 Likes

Select txt then select ‘quote’
Or, hit reply, then the little quote icon top left.