Match Review vs Fremantle - Lucky we have saints next

No excuse, but it was honestly really ******* hot.

The players were dripping with sweat before the first bounce.

I had already sunk 7 beers pre-bounce. Dehydrated. Probably didnt give enough in the stands.

Please don’t use the stat count of a half back in a losing side to say half forwards should have done better.

Compare them to windows, melks and hardy, but not defenders. I’m not even sure how many inside 50s we had but we struggled to get it down there often.

-No Rucks

- No marking forwards able to bring the ball to ground ( Goddard would have been handy)

_ Fremantle's pressure exposed our kicking skills

- Stinking hot day

- Key players out

I want to see us against them next time with both teams at full strength.

Bring on the Saints.

Ryder, Bellchambers, Ambrose, Myers, Chapman, Goddard & Fletcher + A few unsighted individuals and others playing out of position vs. Fyfe, Barlow, Walters, Mayne +53 points. Not such a bad effort!

Round 4, 1999.

Not worried. We were last-minute-injury and structurally crippled.

Goddard was meant to be our first/second key forward today, which should explain where we were at.

Sack Thompson

We played ok until a serious lapse in the third. I am not as overly worried as I thought I might have been considering the margin. As someone alluded to before, even if a team is off by 5% it can enable a huge momentum shift and Freo just got rolling. Fremantle are a good side, and I think they have a better overall squad of players (depth wise) at this point in time. But I would not be surprised if we go past them in the next 18 months. I see some outstanding signs from some of our youth which I must admit is exceeding my expectation of that new wave of draftees- particularly Merrett X2, Gleeson and I like Ashby too despite him looking a little overwhelmed at times today.

I mentioned the Eagles game in 99 in the match thread. We only kicked 3 or 4 goals for the match that day at Subiaco, got flogged and looked out on our feet. But the side built well from there, so the wheel turns quickly. Also, I think good teams can just have **** days. Hell, even Hawthorn got tuned up by 10 goals against Richmond in the not too distant past.

All in all - let's hope there are no significant injuries, we welcome back a good deal of experience and class into the team for next week and use these losses to good football teams as a driver towards building what is an exciting Essendon team that is going to bring a lot of joy to us over the next couple of years.

Go Bombers.

Fark up with the injury excuses. Freo had just as many out and they were seriously good players, the fact is freo’s depth is better. We were just plain ■■■■■

I thought ashby was good.

Really annoyed at how we managed Goddard, it was plain as day he shouldn't have gone on the second time never mind the third.

If he misses ANZAC day because we mismanaged his obvious injury ill be ■■■■■■.

Gleeson played very well

Pig, Bags, hurls, hooksy played good games under the circumstances

Watto way out of it (crowley)

Jetta showed signs ( i know always shows a bit rarely delivers)

DVU looks a mile off (hard game to judge)

Ashby couple of good touches

Merrett maybe needs a week in vfl looked tired from outset

Heppel very good one way, useless the other

Zaka hopeless both ways today

Hocko patchy but down on usual

BJ going down hurt us

Trav may well be done

JOE some great marks and good effort level

Jake C looked spent early in the second quarter

Melks pretty average still working back into it

Stants ran and ran and ran some more

Licha patchy at best

Howlett works harder than nearly anyone

I doubt we will see that again anytime soon, at least i hope we dont

Went away from our structures hopefully due to having several senior guys out not purely due to freo pressure

Clearly needed some more big targets,

Shake it off n flog aints next round

Fark up with the injury excuses. Freo had just as many out and they were seriously good players, the fact is freo's depth is better. We were just plain ■■■■■

The injury excuse actually does matter here because it wasn't about players out but the type out.

Remember that final against Adelaide where we played Hooker in the ruck? We needed a ruckman. That mattered.

Especially with Sandy sugar platting his passes to his on ballers.

Fark up with the injury excuses. Freo had just as many out and they were seriously good players, the fact is freo's depth is better. We were just plain ■■■■■

Its not just a matter of players quality, its also where they play on the ground and what they mean to our structure
Add even just ryder and myers and it changes the complexion

Can anyone seriously tell me how that was a freak kick against Heppell for a trip when he has the ball plus Suban was already on the ground????

The injury excuse actually does matter here because it wasn't about players out but the type out.
Remember that final against Adelaide where we played Hooker in the ruck? We needed a ruckman. That mattered.
Especially with Sandy sugar platting his passes to his on ballers.

what was the clearance count? When I looked late it wasn't hugely one sided. We just had a ■■■■ day. Zaka, hocking, licha, jobe and im sure many more, just had ordinary days

Can't help but think we got far too cute trying to bluff all week that Chapman and Fletcher were going to play.  It meant we really only ahd one emergency.  Then Myers gets sick and Goddard gets injured in the warm up and all of a sudden we are have effectively already used our sub.  Bad bad start on such a hot day.

Last week after we pumped the scum everyone was happy and I thought I detected some sense, now we lose by 50pts against last years GFs at the toughest ground in the comp to play at as an away side, not to mention being a man down from the get go, and every ones ■■■■■ and should be delisted etc. Of course we have our flaws just like every other team but when we saw this draw at the start of the year I'd take a stab and say most of you thought we'd be 1-4 let alone 2-2 with the two very winnable games to come

Really annoyed at how we managed Goddard, it was plain as day he shouldn't have gone on the second time never mind the third.

I think with a player like Goddard he will push and push and say he is fine just to get back out there and contribute.
I would say after being here for a bit over a year he would bleed for any of those guys out there with him.
Give him next week off and hope he comes up for ANZAC Day.

It will teach us for playing funny buggers at selection and picking two guys who we were not sure would get up and only traveling with one emergency