Match Review vs GWS

Wasted lots of chances in the first half and then fell apart in the second.
A familiar story.

Bring on on some top draft picks and a big list cull.

Hird looked beaten in the coaches box.

Dempsey’s last game of football. Might be a few others in that basket as well.

Giles showed up the selectors. Should have been played much earlier in the year.

Pretty much what I expected going in to the game, but that doesn’t make it any more fun to watch. I just hope the club don’t talk themselves into glass half full list management again.

I got nothing.

Giles was really good.

Dempsey and stein shouldn’t catch the plane home

ok 1st half.

Stopped running.

If this continues, Hird should waive the final year of his contract and fall on his sword. I have never seen an Essendon side so insipid. This list is better than this.

It’s painful but we’re starting to see what the list has to offer. You need to have this or you will just have kids that never get a chance.

From this game and the past few, just based on individual performance you can say that Laverde, Langford, Merrett x 2 and Edwards have something to offer.

On the other hand O’Brein and Steinberg are not good enough.

And the jury is out on Gleeson and Browne.

You can’t delist them all however.

Side note: Good game by Giles, definitely not fit enough but is a ruck in the David Hille mould. Will be good for depth and nothing else.

Go easy on Browne. Hasn’t played much senior footy. But clearly we’re in for a big farewell party at the end of the year.

Giles showed why he needed to be picked far far far far earlier than he was. Seems blitzers do know more than the coach.
Edwards showed why he needs to be played every week, will give you a 2 goal burst at some point, now averaging 1.2 goals a game… the 2nd best forward on our list behind Daniher.

Stein tries, that is a plus but ffs too many errors. Delist and retain for VFL only.
Gleeson has gone backwards and I’m not sure whether it is 2nd year blues… would hope for an improvement next year.
Cooney… I don’t even know how to rate that… 7 clangers… including 3 oob ‘shots’ that were worse than auskick

Carlisle just losing trade value by the week as he ping pongs between defence and forward. Was ok down back in patches but couldn’t match Cameron… did nothing up forward.

Hooker is class. Pure class. If only we could duplicate him and Hurley.

Biggest positive was Green machine in the middle. First time he played long stints on the ball and I thought he looked really good. Will be a jet.

In the first half, Hooker & Edwards looked very dangerous in the forward line and Laverde played the Ambrose role better than Ambrose. Gilles was great, better than TBell.

We’re looking at about 5-8 list changes end of the year including about 3 retirements.

This season was either going to work out or we were going to see where things were at.

If this continues, Hird should waive the final year of his contract and fall on his sword. I have never seen an Essendon side so insipid. This list is better than this.

this is what the AFL want - Hird sacked and them (maybe having a say in the new coach)
we as supporters must resist this and show our support for Hirdy
Stay strong

Wasted lots of chances in the first half and then fell apart in the second. A familiar story.

They turned up knowing their only chance was to clog it up and stop their run. They could only manage to play this high tenacity game for a half.

They dropped off after half time and their run and carry smashed us.

Today our weaknesses in our list were exposed for all to see. No leg speed, run and spread. Zero. Our list is so deficient in so many areas it’s not funny.

Btw, how can we continue to cut Zacha so much slack? His efforts are substandard.

The highlight: Cooney to be suspended and can’t play (thank god).

Secondary highlight: Daniher will be great. Giles first half great.

Confirmation: Howlett, Hocking (yes he tries) try hard but not good enough. Steinberg not good enough.

Disappointing: Gleeson, Zacha, Carslile, Brown… List goes on.

The year can’t end fast enough. This list is actually pretty deplorable in so many critical areas.

DT - one of Essendpn’s major failings is not delisting players until they’ve clogged the list for about 7 years. The Club is far too generous. Time to become a ruthless professionally managed club that will not tolerate mediocrity as the accepted standard.

Anyway loved the efforts today of Baguley, Hooker, Gwilt (mostly), Stanton, Giles, and nice to see Hocking back for a run.

Wasted lots of chances in the first half and then fell apart in the second. A familiar story.

Disappointing: Gleeson, Zacha, Carslile, Brown… List goes on.

The year can’t end fast enough. This list is actually pretty deplorable in so many critical areas.

You what?

Good tank to sub out our most in form defender on the day as soon as they sub on another key forward.

This is stupid and from the small sample size it provides I can only assume the poster is as well.

Due to the myriad of injuries we have Gleeson was manned up on Cam McCarthy. Gleeson. All 190cms and 76 Kgs of him. On 192 cm 89kgs of McCarthy. Do you know why? Because we have nothing left. We are so bereft of anything resembling a key position player that that is the outcome.

At least with hocking back we had one of our ball winning insides back. But majorly lacking there as well.

While I’m not thrilled with how the team is playing we need to face facts. The season is over. I don’t think we are as bad as we are playing but we will have a big clean out because there are a few who aren’t up to it. We matched it till 3 quarter time when Gwilt was injured and it left us with even less than nothing. Hopefully we can get a few more back next week.