Mathew Lloyd assistant forward line coach

To my mind our biggest problem is a forward line that kicks too few goals - correct me if I’m wrong.

Our forward line coaches have been defenders - Mathew Egan and Nathan Bassett.

I don’t decry their efforts and their experience as defenders can bring an interesting perspective to forward line play.

Why not compliment this by adding a forward line coach who has been a successful forward to work with Bassett?

Mathew Lloyd has the respect of the players and has improved the goal kicking of our forwards - especially Joe.

Wouldn’t he have something useful to add in the area of ball movement, running patterns etc. if he wasn’t restricted to simply goal kicking advice?

What do you think?

BRING HIM IN.

Could the reason be because of his media commitments, maybe it’s not possible…

Look they’ve probably quizzed Lloydy for ideas at least.

hopefully next season.

Maybe, though the game has changed a bit since he he was a good forward, and so have forwards.

I imagine he’d be pretty expensive, even as an assistant.

And don’t forget there is now an admin cap.

Not sure I agree.

Biggest problem is our desire to forever possess the ball before entering F50 meaning either:

1. By the time the ball gets I50 the opposition has flooded back making ti difficult for the forwards to find space; or
  2. We pass the ball so much a turnover occurs and the opposition goes forward and scores…as the Pies did on Saturday.

The only think Lloyd can help with - which he is doing - is with goal kicking technique. Carlisle needs double-lessons this week.

Our problems are gameplan (ball movement style) and a ruck/midfield that does not win enough contested ball/clearances.

Our forward line will score well once we fix those things.

Lol. Lloyd doesn’t want a full time gig. He has other things he wants to do as well as help Essendon. He is simply not interested.

The forward line is not the problem, it’s the midfield

Lol. Lloyd doesn't want a full time gig. He has other things he wants to do as well as help Essendon. He is simply not interested.

Not suggesting full time - part time would be fine on the days he turns up for kicking practice.

Lol. Lloyd doesn't want a full time gig. He has other things he wants to do as well as help Essendon. He is simply not interested.

Not suggesting full time - part time would be fine on the days he turns up for kicking practice.

Well if that’s what you want … part time input … you’ve already got it. He does more than just goal kicking now. Not a lot, but he does it.

I am sure that Lloyd offers plenty of Auxiliary advice.
It’s not as black and white as goalkicking coach.
Often takes a player aside and has a word about positioning between drills at TVSC.
Also, seems to have a match day presence in the rooms etc.

To my mind our biggest problem is a forward line that kicks too few goals - correct me if I'm wrong.

I don’t decry their efforts and their experience as defenders can bring an interesting perspective to forward line play.

Why not compliment this by adding a forward line coach who has been a successful forward to work with Bassett?

Mathew Lloyd has the respect of the players and has improved the goal kicking of our forwards - especially Joe.

Wouldn’t he have something useful to add in the area of ball movement, running patterns etc. if he wasn’t restricted to simply goal kicking advice?

What do you think?

I think its a good idea if Lloyd has the time to spare. He has already made a difference with Jo’s routine land Jo has markedly improved his kicking for goal. Come on Lloydy we need you.
To my mind our biggest problem is a forward line that kicks too few goals - correct me if I'm wrong.

What do you think?

Absolutely, and could not think of a better forward line coach than Lloydy. You can see his quality input through his media comments and obviously from his playing days. An untapped resource… tap into it Bombers!!!

If he doesn’t have the time, well Essendon, make him see that he can find the time, do whatever it takes to get him as we desperately need it.

However, we also desperately need a couple of adequate crumbing forwards, goalkicking & defensive forwards, not just those able to apply defensive pressure but those that can & will do both consistently, a la a Puopolo

The forward line is not the problem, it's the midfield

70-30 midfield is still the biggest issue. Midfield is and always has been the biggest issue that neglects fixing.

Daniher at this stage of his career his to reliant on using his aerobic assets to beat his opponent. This year his goal kicking was worked on, next season it has to be body work and how to outmuscle opponents.

Carlisle is , well who the ■■■■ knows what he is.
Ambrose’s role seems to be the battering ram.
Merrett is still learning.
Chappy and cooney were recruited for a reason, cos they have forwardline smarts.

The rest however aren’t forwards, including zaka, they are midfielders who get put down there cos they want them to be played, but don’t want to replace the current midfield they back in.

I agree the midfield is still the biggest issue, but the forwardline is still under construction and has work needed to be done on it too.

That being said the message isn’t getting through to players, as our plan seems to be push most of the smaller guys up the ground to help around the contest. Yet doing that their first play most of the time is simply getting the ball and kicking it forward blindly. If you have numbers around the contest you should be using them to run the ball away from the contest, that’s why the extra numbers are there.

It’s both.

It’s both.

It’s pretty hard for our forward line to get consistency and coherency if the delivery is poor

It’s both.

It’s pretty hard for our forward line to get consistency and coherency if the delivery is poor

It’s pretty hard for our midfield to deliver consistently if the forward-line aren’t doing their job.
It’s both.
And they worked on it today. I think most people would have been pleased if they saw it.

I was impressed with the game against Hawthorn when the midfield would plant and wait for an option to open up in the forward line. If it didn’t open, they’d kick it around the arc until I happened. I expect this to be our ideal attacking setup in the dry.

Its hard for our forward line to kick goals when they are playing across the half back line.

How many times do we win a contest inside the oppositions 50, fire off a couple of quick handballs, get into some space look up and theres no one to kick to, frustrates the hell out of me.

Yeah I know structures, balance blah blah, just leave Joe or Jake on the fwd 50 meter arc and as soon as we win the ball in the back line lead up to them so we have an outlet and dont keep hand balling in circles while the forward line all runs back to position.

OldManYellsAtCloud.gif

lol zakas best year was when he played off the HF line.