Matthew Lloyd - Conflicted?

Over the past couple of weeks I’ve become increasingly concerned with Lloyd’s public comments re our forward set up and efficiency. I believe that its a difficult issue for him to reconcile - how does he make public comment about the performance of those who is is actually engaged in coaching? In the past few weeks he has made a range of comments (mainly on radio) about Daniher and Carlisle’s efficiency.

Then today, there’s this article, which states that Lloyd is of the view that we should shift Carlisle to defence and Hooker forward.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/matthew-lloyd-urges-essendon-to-swap-cale-hooker-and-jake-carlisle-20150616-ghovfh

Regardless of what you think of this proposal, I think its incredibly inappropriate for him to be making this suggestion publicly. He is employed by the Club to coach Carlisle to become a more efficient forward - that’s the task he’s been given by the coaching staff at the club.

How would it make Carlisle feel to know that the very person who is trying to make him a better goalkicker wants him moved to the backline and replaced with another player who has never played forward his entire career?

I hope Lloyd can stay at the Club in this role because I think he makes a valuable contribution, but I think he should refrain from making public comments about the two players under his tutelage. At the very least, he shouldn’t be making public comments that undermine those players and shouldn’t be contradicting the public message being sent by the Club itself - which is that Carlisle loves playing forward (as stated by Hird last week).

Pull your head in Lloydy.

Ha ha. Misuse of “his” and “bias” are two of my pet hates on the interwebs.

This is almost as amusing as when people had a ■■■■■ fit over Mark Thompson saying he'd be supporting the cats. Yet didn't bat an eyelid when Kevin Sheedy (a paid EFC staff member) said in an interview he'd support GWS in an Essendon vs GWS Grand Final.

Have a sook you wankers.

:fist:

you’ve got a thread dedicated to you sooking.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be at the club (although there are obviously question marks about his coaching ability as Wim has pointed out). Hird obviously wants him at the club (or at least he did at the start of the year), so I'm prepared to support that too.

I’m not saying that he can’t have a role at the club and also be a media commentator.

I’m not saying that he can’t continue to seek headlines in his public comments about Essendon and yes, even our forward line. He doesn’t need to be an Essendon man in the media anymore, and I understand that completely.

What I am saying that there’s a line that he shouldn’t cross in those public comments, and he absolutely crossed it when he stated that one of the forwards under his tutelage should be moved to the backline, clearly contradicting everything else that’s been said by the club about this matter.

I would be very very surprised if the club isn’t furious with him ATM.

pfft. I donno if you are one who calls for it, but i know i am, about people simply being honest in what they say and do.

I’m pretty sure more than half the supporters going around what carlisle tried down back again, cos it’s not working for him as a forward.
if you’re all time leading goalkicker who’s now a part time teacher of guys how to kick for goal says it, maybe instead of telling him to “tow the club line” you know maybe listen to his output ?

maybe he’s seen more motivation to improve from daniher than carlisle and has surmised in his head it’s cos he doesn’t actually want to be a forward, that’s just one example of many possible reasons why he said it.

but hey what would Lloyd know about goalkicking or becoming a great forward right ?

maybe if there weren’t as many “yes men” as there seem to be at the club, maybe more ideas would be thrown around about how to fix our current situation, rather than stubbonly holding onto a belief that’s falling apart bit by bit the longer and harder you grasp at it.

Lloyds comments being conflicted in some way is the last of our worries.

Our mission is to get every player in form, and all players playing as a team again. Everything else is noise.

Lloyd's primary role in life is as a media commentator. His capacity at the club is goal kicking coach. He is just doing his job.

My issue though, and I do have an issue with it, is that in this case he only seems to be doing one of them.
And that, in this case, pretty shitly.

Although not as shitly as the job he’s being paid by Essendon to do.

I disagree, I think there has been improvement in Joes kicking, certainly his technique is better than it was last year, Jakes issue is more complicated, the rest of the list are converting at a higher rate from set shots this year than last. Changing someone’s mechanics takes time.

I actually would like to see him more involved with structure. Bass is a good coachm but he is not a forward coach.

I guess I’m in the minority though.

Agreed.

Re Bass: He is a very very very good defensive coach, not sure why he is our forward coach

He coaches goal kicking at the club not forward craft…Essendon has a forward coach…

Really ? Who might that be ?

Didn’t say he was doing a good job but it is much more likely the game style and our midfield that cause our forwards problems…Daniher and Carlisle didn’t kick straight a few weeks ago but when we moved it quickly to them they both looked dangerous

He coaches goal kicking at the club not forward craft…Essendon has a forward coach…

Really ? Who might that be ?

This is almost as amusing as when people had a ■■■■■ fit over Mark Thompson saying he’d be supporting the cats. Yet didn’t bat an eyelid when Kevin Sheedy (a paid EFC staff member) said in an interview he’d support GWS in an Essendon vs GWS Grand Final.

Have a sook you wankers.

:fist:

I'm not saying he shouldn't be at the club (although there are obviously question marks about his coaching ability as Wim has pointed out). Hird obviously wants him at the club (or at least he did at the start of the year), so I'm prepared to support that too.

I’m not saying that he can’t have a role at the club and also be a media commentator.

I’m not saying that he can’t continue to seek headlines in his public comments about Essendon and yes, even our forward line. He doesn’t need to be an Essendon man in the media anymore, and I understand that completely.

What I am saying that there’s a line that he shouldn’t cross in those public comments, and he absolutely crossed it when he stated that one of the forwards under his tutelage should be moved to the backline, clearly contradicting everything else that’s been said by the club about this matter.

I would be very very surprised if the club isn’t furious with him ATM.

pfft. I donno if you are one who calls for it, but i know i am, about people simply being honest in what they say and do.

I’m pretty sure more than half the supporters going around what carlisle tried down back again, cos it’s not working for him as a forward.
if you’re all time leading goalkicker who’s now a part time teacher of guys how to kick for goal says it, maybe instead of telling him to “tow the club line” you know maybe listen to his output ?

maybe he’s seen more motivation to improve from daniher than carlisle and has surmised in his head it’s cos he doesn’t actually want to be a forward, that’s just one example of many possible reasons why he said it.

but hey what would Lloyd know about goalkicking or becoming a great forward right ?

maybe if there weren’t as many “yes men” as there seem to be at the club, maybe more ideas would be thrown around about how to fix our current situation, rather than stubbonly holding onto a belief that’s falling apart bit by bit the longer and harder you grasp at it.

Why make the comments publicly?

Its not the dissenting view I object to, its the airing of dirty laundry in public. I really thought my posts might have made that clear if you bother to have a read.

how many media employees have exhaustive media requirements, AND have close a close coaching role with individual players like lloyd does?

Lloyd, 270 games 926 goals, should DEFINITELY consult with the experts on Bomberblitz before making a comment about the football club he spent 15 years playing at, yet he upset the fragile opinions of people with blinkers so strong they can barely see 1 foot in front of their face

God forbid he might have a ■■■■■■■ idea that could win us a few games, because god knows the people in charge dont seem to have any

He was a very, very good player.

Does that mean he should just shut up and watch his old club degrade the way they are?

No it shouldnt

We (Essendon) have always been too scared to be innovative - but we are at a point where we need to be

Since you are explicitly asking, I will explicitly answer.
This one time and one time only, because i don’t like to bag Essendon people.

Matthew Lloyd was a very, very good player.
He was a ■■■■ captain.
He is a ■■■■ media commentator.
I am not now, nor have ever been in favour of him having a role at the club.
Hey, guess what, turns out he is a ■■■■ goal-kicking coach.

I have met the man and would not trust him to sit down the right way on a toilet without a copy of Sitting On Toilets For Dummies and a toilet coach.

For him to bag the very players he’s supposed to be coaching after the utter, abject failing of his coaching (and by extension the greater coaching staff) is beyond belief…if you have never met him.

Daniher’s kicking for goal is worse since Lloyd started.
Carlisle is a worse forward since Lloyd started.
F.A.C.T.

But he was a very, very good player.

This!

My respect for him died after his foray into the media world. Instead of being a man of conviction and honesty, he played the role of sycophant as new kid on the block alongside the seasoned propagandist rats on FC.

Had his chance to do the right thing and defend Hird and our club but chose the safety of career above morality. Would love to know what Jim thinks of him… Great footy player but that’s where it ends for me.

He's a footy guy. How many footy guys can put eloquent opinions forward in a media setting? Just cos these guys understood their own game on the field makes them no sure authority on analysis and with the chops to get those points across in a panel show or live on game day (hell, even in print).

He doesn’t cut it that well and there’s no rule or large pool of evidence that says he should be able to.

(I’m agreeing, btw)

I don’t believe there’s been enough to discredit his ability as a goal kicking coach though. Joe looked sharp those first few weeks, looks frazzled now. Who knows.

When was the last time a current staff member/coach bagged out his own club PUBLICLY?

If he has a problem, surely he’d consult with current coaches and players instead of spreading our ‘problems’ all over the media. I mean, it’s not like we need more negative media crap directed at our club!!

Malthouse, and we all know how that one ended

Lloyd is not Essendon. He is media.

Deal with is.

He is both…employed by both

Lloyd is not Essendon. He is media.

Deal with is.

When was the last time a current staff member/coach bagged out his own club PUBLICLY?

If he has a problem, surely he’d consult with current coaches and players instead of spreading our ‘problems’ all over the media. I mean, it’s not like we need more negative media crap directed at our club!!

Is there anyone left that we like?

Is there anyone left that we like?

Next media person that says something good about us.

Until they say something bad about us.

I like Lloydy. I think he’s good.