Matthew Lloyd - Conflicted?

Is there anyone left that we like?

Next media person that says something good about us.

Until they say something bad about us.

But what if they then say something good about us?

Its hardly a secret that most football commentators don't believe Carlisle is a forward. Lloyd is a 'straight shooter' in every sense of the word. I highly doubt that he would say anything in the media that he hasn't told directly to the individuals themselves. Yes he probably should learn to say nothing, but I don't think it is that controversial.

If anything it probably suggests that Carlisle playing forward is causing a few more headaches in club land than last weeks puff pieces would suggest.

Yeah like he’s going to up to Carlisle and say, hey mate you’re only ever going to be an average forward.

Then it’s an AFL conspiracy.

Then it’s an AFL conspiracy.

It won’t be long till “Bomberblitz insiders suggest” or “Bomberblitz media experts believe” is used.

Its hardly a secret that most football commentators don't believe Carlisle is a forward. Lloyd is a 'straight shooter' in every sense of the word. I highly doubt that he would say anything in the media that he hasn't told directly to the individuals themselves. Yes he probably should learn to say nothing, but I don't think it is that controversial.

If anything it probably suggests that Carlisle playing forward is causing a few more headaches in club land than last weeks puff pieces would suggest.

Yeah like he’s going to up to Carlisle and say, hey mate you’re only ever going to be an average forward.

No, I didn't mean he would say that to Carlisle but I wouldn't be surprised if he has talked to Hirdy about the Hooker/Carlisle swap or the Carlisle/Hurley swap.

Lloyd was known to ruffle feathers as a captain for his directness so I also wouldn’t be surprised if he has spoken to Jake about a possible move to the backline…

No, I didn't mean he would say that to Carlisle but I wouldn't be surprised if he has talked to Hirdy about the Hooker/Carlisle swap or the Carlisle/Hurley swap.

Lloyd was known to ruffle feathers as a captain for his directness so I also wouldn’t be surprised if he has spoken to Jake about a possible move to the backline…

Only problem for your theory is Lloyd believes Jake will make a very good forward. And has not been shy about his opinion within the club.

This is probably not the thread for it but oh well.

Quite a lot of players come into the AFL system and need their kicking action or technique fixed. How come nobody has taught them how to kick properly when they are developing from a young age or why hasn’t anybody spotted deficiencies earlier. Is the standard of coaching bad in the junior levels?

For instance with Joe, everyone knew for ages he was going to be a forward so why weren’t his coaches or his club working on his technique years ago?

Set shot goalkicking is 98% mental and 2% technique. There’s no “correct” technique to shooting for goal versus kicking to someone - if it goes straight, what’s to fix?

My kicking style very closely mimics that of a soccer goalkeeper or Gaelic player, or as my coach delicately puts it, like, “like a ■■■■■■■ f**king retard”, but it goes straight.

He's a footy guy. How many footy guys can put eloquent opinions forward in a media setting? Just cos these guys understood their own game on the field makes them no sure authority on analysis and with the chops to get those points across in a panel show or live on game day (hell, even in print).
The football media has way too many former players who spout spastic opinions in a very inarticulate manner, but they are somehow given credence because they were All-Australian once (and remember that Andrew Mackie holds that distinction as well).

The trouble is that the actual trained journos/analysts are absolute flogs, so there’s even less credibility for the views of non-players.

Lloyd's primary role in life is as a media commentator. His capacity at the club is goal kicking coach. He is just doing his job.

My issue though, and I do have an issue with it, is that in this case he only seems to be doing one of them.
And that, in this case, pretty shitly.

Although not as shitly as the job he’s being paid by Essendon to do.

I disagree, I think there has been improvement in Joes kicking, certainly his technique is better than it was last year, Jakes issue is more complicated, the rest of the list are converting at a higher rate from set shots this year than last. Changing someone’s mechanics takes time.

I actually would like to see him more involved with structure. Bass is a good coachm but he is not a forward coach.

I guess I’m in the minority though.

I am not sure about all models but generally there is a big red button on the corner that can change this…

Who. cares.

This is probably not the thread for it but oh well.

Quite a lot of players come into the AFL system and need their kicking action or technique fixed. How come nobody has taught them how to kick properly when they are developing from a young age or why hasn’t anybody spotted deficiencies earlier. Is the standard of coaching bad in the junior levels?

For instance with Joe, everyone knew for ages he was going to be a forward so why weren’t his coaches or his club working on his technique years ago?

Probably cause when you’re a teenager you’ve got other things on your mind.

In the main it’s because it doesn’t come unstuck until the pressure of AFL is applied.

I can’t say with certainty, but his action was probably fine until then. It’s often the case that the problem is mental, & they go astray from the relaxed & natural.

All Llod would be doing, is training them how to get routine & calm, so it returns, & in the main, stays constant.

I think lloyd makes a valuable contribution and loved him as a player but I think he is struggling with the conflict a little.

Every time I watch those lloyd clips on the essendon website he often refers to us as they or essendon as opposed to we. If he has a role at the club regardless of how minor surely it is we?

He’s not we… full time role sure. But he’s open for employment anywhere. If collingwood weren’t sooks he’d be there part time too. That’s how i see it.

Would we tell timmy to stfu re saying saints are ahead our our premiership window? Or if he unleashes anything else upon us?

I like lloyd speaking his mind. . His clearly not bias and tells it as it is. Straight shooter right there.

Fixed

You actually made it worse

It’s “He’s” and “biased”

Whoosh?

I think so :frowning:

But i was right on biased… right?? :slight_smile:

Something told me before I commented on it that it was an inside joke that was over my head… yet I still fell for it

I think lloyd makes a valuable contribution and loved him as a player but I think he is struggling with the conflict a little.

Every time I watch those lloyd clips on the essendon website he often refers to us as they or essendon as opposed to we. If he has a role at the club regardless of how minor surely it is we?

He’s not we… full time role sure. But he’s open for employment anywhere. If collingwood weren’t sooks he’d be there part time too. That’s how i see it.

Would we tell timmy to stfu re saying saints are ahead our our premiership window? Or if he unleashes anything else upon us?

I like lloyd speaking his mind. . His clearly not bias and tells it as it is. Straight shooter right there.

Fixed

It’s “He’s” and “biased”

Whoosh?

I think so :frowning:

But i was right on biased… right?? :slight_smile:

Fixed

It’s “He’s” and “biased”

Whoosh?

Fixed

It’s “He’s” and “biased”

Fixed

Old people being old.

May as well have another go round of “that guy who used to sell peanuts” as that is always* very interesting.

*never. Please stop.

I’m very confused as to what has happened in this thread.