Matthew Lloyd - Open Mike

I couldn’t find an existing thread on this so maybe nobody else enjoyed it but I thought it was great to hear Lloydy’s take on various bits and pieces.

In particular his recollections on how he had to toughen up, what it took to fix his own goal kicking, and a few nuggets about how Sheedy and Co helped turn him into the player he was were awesome to hear.

A lot of his stories gave great insight into what made him tick on the field and how and why he became such a champion player.

After watching that, I reckon Zach Merret might have a bit of what Lloyd had in him.

Edit: Part 1 & 2 now up on the club website for anyone who missed it.

Lloydo

I hate mike Sheehan

I found it fascinating how he recalled various incidents throughout his career. Well worth watching and it only went for a half hour, not the usual hour.

Good to hear tommy bell had his back if a fight broke out with hodgey. Hodge sounds like a good bloke off field.

Good to hear tommy bell had his back if a fight broke out with hodgey. Hodge sounds like a good bloke off field.

Haven’t seen the clips but iirc the Hawks turned up to the same pub as the Bombers post-2009 Sewell incident and first thing Hodge did was walk straight up to Lloyd, shake his hand and congratulate him on his career

And then produced a pencil and asked if he’d like to see it disappear

Haven’t seen the clips but iirc the Hawks turned up to the same pub as the Bombers post-2009 Sewell incident and first thing Hodge did was walk straight up to Lloyd, shake his hand and congratulate him on his career

thats what lloydo was talking about.

Terrific interview. Lloyd is always so candid and honest - he’s an open book. Must admit I was surprised to hear of Hodge and Clarkson’s approaches to Lloyd after the Sewell incident - respect to them both for that.

I did feel uneasy, however, about his torn loyalties re. “that” footy show vs James Hird.

You’d be hard pressed to find a more honest man in this game.

Good interview. I thought he came across as very naive, not in a bad way. Always prepared to see the best in people, I can’t imagine he would think anyone would ever be manipulative.
Was fascinating.

I hate mike Sheehan

Should we start calling you Jacko?

Terrific interview. Lloyd is always so candid and honest - he's an open book. Must admit I was surprised to hear of Hodge and Clarkson's approaches to Lloyd after the Sewell incident - respect to them both for that.

I did feel uneasy, however, about his torn loyalties re. “that” footy show vs James Hird.

I found that really interesting, he is the straightest of shooters Lloydy, he summed that up really well I thought.

Their wasnt much good to say about knights was their. You could tell he was holding that in.

I hate mike Sheehan

notice how he always needs to mention that at some point he has wrote one of his filth articles about the people he is interviewing. Self centred 4 eyed ■■■■, his a waste of space.

I hate mike Sheehan

Should we start calling you Jacko?

Have to say I quite enjoyed Jacko’s Open Mike.

Their wasnt much good to say about knights was their. You could tell he was holding that in.

Agree with Lloyd.

Didn’t like how Knights handled champions like JJ,Mark Johnson etc and telling that they will be playing in the VFL all year when he was appointed.

Unlucky for Lloydy that Hodge didn’t offer to drive him home.

Agree with Lloyd.

Didn’t like how Knights handled champions like JJ,Mark Johnson etc and telling that they will be playing in the VFL all year when he was appointed.

Haven’t watched the show, but it was surely based on other goings on at the club.
JJ and MJ got to a point where they didn’t suit the way the game style across the league was being played at the time.

Did Lloyd mention how he couldn’t handle playing as far up the ground the way the game was being played? He and Fev were the last of the ‘stay at home full forwards’ who had built their body in such a way that they didn’t have the capacity to chase their opponent outside their own forward 50.

One thing about the Knights reign…
He had some pretty handy assistants at the time. Richardson in particular has done amazingly well at the Saints and Camporeale did very well at the Crows last year given what they were going through.

Agree with Lloyd.

Haven’t watched the show, but it was surely based on other goings on at the club.
JJ and MJ got to a point where they didn’t suit the way the game style across the league was being played at the time.

Did Lloyd mention how he couldn’t handle playing as far up the ground the way the game was being played? He and Fev were the last of the ‘stay at home full forwards’ who had built their body in such a way that they didn’t have the capacity to chase their opponent outside their own forward 50.

One thing about the Knights reign…
He had some pretty handy assistants at the time. Richardson in particular has done amazingly well at the Saints and Camporeale did very well at the Crows last year given what they were going through.

Although I think Knights was fair spudly, I did agree with him on the whole “Lloyd can’t just play out of the goal square” thing