Matthew Lloyd - Open Mike

GIVE HIM THE BALL
AND HE WILL SCORE

Knights was in an impossible situation.

He didn’t approach it well though.

Their wasnt much good to say about knights was their. You could tell he was holding that in.

Agree with Lloyd.

Didn’t like how Knights handled champions like JJ,Mark Johnson etc and telling that they will be playing in the VFL all year when he was appointed.

Haven’t watched the show, but it was surely based on other goings on at the club.
JJ and MJ got to a point where they didn’t suit the way the game style across the league was being played at the time.

Did Lloyd mention how he couldn’t handle playing as far up the ground the way the game was being played? He and Fev were the last of the ‘stay at home full forwards’ who had built their body in such a way that they didn’t have the capacity to chase their opponent outside their own forward 50.

One thing about the Knights reign…
He had some pretty handy assistants at the time. Richardson in particular has done amazingly well at the Saints and Camporeale did very well at the Crows last year given what they were going through.

Although I think Knights was fair spudly, I did agree with him on the whole “Lloyd can’t just play out of the goal square” thing

I thought Lloyd acknowledged that there was change happening, that had to happen. He just didn’t like it or the Knights went about it. And to a point I thought he acknowledged it partly his own failing.

I agree that Knights had an aging list that needed to be turned over in order to look to the future.

Precisely. His biggest failing was that he replaced Sheddy. Second biggest was his dislike for ruckmen. Maybe I’ve blocked that entire period from my memory but I don’t remember too many other spudly things.

Precisely. His biggest failing was that he replaced Sheddy. Second biggest was his dislike for ruckmen. Maybe I’ve blocked that entire period from my memory but I don’t remember too many other spudly things.

Matthew Knights taught me the value of defense.

…and that. But let’s be honest attacking all the time was pretty fun to watch.

Their wasnt much good to say about knights was their. You could tell he was holding that in.

Agree with Lloyd.

Didn’t like how Knights handled champions like JJ,Mark Johnson etc and telling that they will be playing in the VFL all year when he was appointed.

Haven’t watched the show, but it was surely based on other goings on at the club.
JJ and MJ got to a point where they didn’t suit the way the game style across the league was being played at the time.

Did Lloyd mention how he couldn’t handle playing as far up the ground the way the game was being played? He and Fev were the last of the ‘stay at home full forwards’ who had built their body in such a way that they didn’t have the capacity to chase their opponent outside their own forward 50.

One thing about the Knights reign…
He had some pretty handy assistants at the time. Richardson in particular has done amazingly well at the Saints and Camporeale did very well at the Crows last year given what they were going through.

Although I think Knights was fair spudly, I did agree with him on the whole “Lloyd can’t just play out of the goal square” thing

Probably cost him 1000 career goals but at least we got to develop Jay Neagle at FF.

Tika taka

Of all the things Knights got wrong - and there were many - his handling of Lloyd wasn’t one of them.

…made worse by Knights just being …well Knights - I thought he was the worst AFL coach I have ever seen.

Our wins were the best wins and our losses were the worst losses.

…made worse by Knights just being …well Knights - I thought he was the worst AFL coach I have ever seen.

Voss is still the all time worst coach i have ever seen. Pretty much single handedly destroyed the club

Of all the things Knights got wrong - and there were many - his handling of Lloyd wasn't one of them.

If you mean in terms of pushing him higher up the ground so we could develop other forwards then I 100% agree with you. If you mean how he handled his retirement then i don’t.

Voss is still the all time worst coach i have ever seen. Pretty much single handedly destroyed the club

The difference being Brisbane deserved Voss and everything that came with him.

Of all the things Knights got wrong - and there were many - his handling of Lloyd wasn't one of them.

If you mean in terms of pushing him higher up the ground so we could develop other forwards then I 100% agree with you. If you mean how he handled his retirement then i don’t.

other forwards consisting of jay neagle? that turned out well

You don’t honestly think Lloyd could have gone another year?

What do you mean? He could play now.

What do you mean? He could play now.

Just not in 2009?

One little tid bit from the interview was when Lloyd spoke about how he became such a good mark.

I think he mentioned it was either Robert Shaw or Sheeds who told him that he needed to start taking marks out in front (of his eyes) to become a truly great full forward.

That was one aspect of Lloyd’s game that I loved to watch and thought was one of his greatest strengths.

The way that he used to lead out from full forward at full tilt and hit the ball, from an exquisitely delivered ball from one our many great midfielders at the time, with a one grab mark without jumping into or slowing down, regardless of whether he had a clear path or a pack in front of him and cleanly take the mark was just magic to watch.

One thing about his playing days that weren’t mentioned enough was actually how courageous of a player he was with the way he attacked the ball, particularly when early in his career he suffered a pretty horrendous injury with the split spleen from the '96 Prelim.

Regardless of what many on here think of his performance as a media personality, I loved watching him play for us, just farking loved it!

He will always go down as one of this club’s absolute greats.