Mature aged recruits hidden gem longshots

Do people just see someone is available, remember they saw him play good footy five years ago, and think we've got to have him.

I wouldn’t waste phone calls on either Clark or Barlow.

Neither is what we need.

Agree, but Barlow actually had a very good year last season

Brent Harvey had a pretty good year THIS year, and he could dance circles around slowpoke Barlow, and would better fit our list IMO, but I don’t want him either.

I’m ashamed to say it and recognise that I might get banned. But I’d have taken Boomer for a year or two.

Do people just see someone is available, remember they saw him play good footy five years ago, and think we've got to have him.

Neither is what we need.

Brent Harvey had a pretty good year THIS year, and he could dance circles around slowpoke Barlow, and would better fit our list IMO, but I don’t want him either.

I’m ashamed to say it and recognise that I might get banned. But I’d have taken Boomer for a year or two.

You’re right, you need to show yourself out Sam :smile:

Neither is what we need.

While l can’t see any good reason why we would. Would rather get games into our younger players.

Kwame McHarg
NEEDS TO SQUAT DEEPER.

That’s constipation for ya.

Brett Eddy has been linked to Port well ■■■■

My info has him not too keen to play AFL, feels he has missed the boat and is just happy to play SANFL and live locally

Yeah?? Wow. That sounds pretty strange, you think he’d be jumping at it!! The intensity and weight of expectation of AFL not for everyone I suppose.

Or perhaps for him the trade off in lifestyle isn’t worth it?
I definitely used to be in the “if you have talent why wouldn’t you use it?” category.
Now I’m happy if people decide (using AFL as an example) that it is not for them, on the proviso they don’t chew up someone else’s opportunity by half arsedly taking up a list post (whether AFL, TAC etc) that could have been giving to someone else.

Is Mckernan all chewed up?

Dunno. Someone been chewing your kernan?

Fark me. I had him all wrapped up, keeping stuff cool and someone goes and nicks me Mc kernan.
Bas.tards

Neither is what we need.

While l can’t see any good reason why we would. Would rather get games into our younger players.

So you want another 10 players to get bans again?

Neither is what we need.

You’re right, you need to show yourself out Sam :smile:

Slater Sam

Neither is what we need.

So you want another 10 players to get bans again?

Unless this is a joke, it’s way up there with the stupidest comments made on this forum.

Surely we have filled out mature age recruiter quota already

I saw this on the Q&A with Woosha on fb:

Mitch Tinning Do you think the club will consider picking up Aaron Heppell as a rookie?
Like · Reply · 4 · 20 mins

Essendon Football Club Yes we will consider him, but most of those decisions aren’t made until after the national draft.

What are peoples thoughts on Luke Ryan
RYAN FILE

Height: 185cm

Weight: 82kg

Local club: Maribyrnong Park

Average statistics (to Round 15): 21 disposals, seven marks, seven rebound 50s and three tackles from nine games.

Sounds like hibberd mk 2

What are peoples thoughts on Luke Ryan RYAN FILE

Average statistics (to Round 15): 21 disposals, seven marks, seven rebound 50s and three tackles from nine games.

Sounds like hibberd mk 2

Yep. Want him. In fact I’d be disappointed if we didn’t leave the draft with one of Luke Ryan, Jarrod Berry or Alex Witherden. Unlike previous years we have a genuine need for this type of player.

Luke Ryan was the only state league player invited to the national draft combine. That says a lot. To get the invite, there are a certain number of clubs required to express interest. So there are obviously a few clubs keen.

I wrote earlier that he trained with our VFL team earlier this year but we cut him, he went to Coburg and just lit it up (prior to some injury niggles).

By all reports he is quick enough, good aerialist and intercept mark, reads the ball well in flight, provides run and carry, is a lovely kick and whilst not super tall his height allows him to play on smalls as well as those ‘medium sized’ type forwards.

Sounds like hibberd mk 2

Yep. Want him. In fact I’d be disappointed if we didn’t leave the draft with one of Luke Ryan, Jarrod Berry or Alex Witherden. Unlike previous years we have a genuine need for this type of player.

Luke Ryan was the only state league player invited to the national draft combine. That says a lot. To get the invite, there are are certain number of clubs required to express they be there. So there are obviously a few clubs keen.

I wrote earlier that he trained wit hour VFL team earlier this year but we cut him, he went to Coburg and just lit it up (prior to some injury niggles).

By all reports he is quick enough, good aerialist and intercept mark, reads the ball well in flight, provides run and carry, is a lovely kick and whilst not super tall his height allows him to play on smalls as well as those ‘medium sized’ type forwards.

Sounds like Pig in a lot of ways i have seen a bit of Ryan and Berry but haven’t heard in the slightest of Witherden

Alex Witherden
Half-back Geelong Falcons/Vic Country
184cm

79kg

10/9/1998

After a promising second half of last season saw him elevated to the NAB AFL Academy, the composed half-back entered this year keen to move into the midfield. But those hopes were ended by a broken leg in May, which will see him miss the rest of the season following surgery. When up and going, Witherden is a poised prospect who can pinpoint passes from the back half and is trusted with the ball. He can direct a game with his foot skills and manages to think smartly through situations.

Would suit: It will be interesting to see what impact Witherden’s injury has on his draft position. He might be a real steal for a club looking for a defensive distributor if it pushes him a little further down the order.

Alex Witherden Half-back Geelong Falcons/Vic Country 184cm

79kg

10/9/1998

After a promising second half of last season saw him elevated to the NAB AFL Academy, the composed half-back entered this year keen to move into the midfield. But those hopes were ended by a broken leg in May, which will see him miss the rest of the season following surgery. When up and going, Witherden is a poised prospect who can pinpoint passes from the back half and is trusted with the ball. He can direct a game with his foot skills and manages to think smartly through situations.

Would suit: It will be interesting to see what impact Witherden’s injury has on his draft position. He might be a real steal for a club looking for a defensive distributor if it pushes him a little further down the order.

Would definitely want him at 30 or Ryan i was leaning torwards berry
  1. Jarrod Berry (VIC)
    Best position: Utility
    Height, weight: 191cm, 80kg
    Recruited from: North Ballarat Rebels
    Plays like: Jack Grimes
    Projected draft range: first to second round
    Rated last month: 21
    Rationale behind ranking/change of ranking: Has had an injury-interrupted season but has shown promise in multiple positions.
    Strengths:
  • Leadership
  • Run and carry
  • Burst of pace
  • Shrugs tackles
  • Contested-ball winning
  • Puts body on the line
  • Versatility to play multiple positions with the scope to play midfield, forward or back well
  • Scoreboard impact when used forward of centre
  • Reading of the flight
  • Intercept marking
  • Aerial marking
  • Vision
  • Hurt factor by foot when given time to lower eyes and find a target up the field
    Weaknesses:
  • Inconsistent footskills
  • Rushes decision making under pressure
  • Unclear best position (arguably looking best off half-forward late season)

and
23. Alex Witherden (VIC)
Best position: General defence/outside midfield
Height, weight: 184m, 78kg
Recruited from: Geelong Falcons
Plays like: Brad McKenzie
Projected draft range: second to third round
Rated last month: 28
Rationale behind ranking/change of ranking: Not applicable. Season missed due to broken leg.
Strengths:

• Production by position
  • Clean kick with excellent penetration and hurt factor
  • Vision to find meaningful targets up the field
  • Composure and sound decision-making with ball in hand
  • Reads the flight well and intercepts
    Weaknesses:
  • Only average pace
  • Scope to play through midfield unclear

Both plays like doesn’t fill me with confidence though

Has a nice list of potential overagers

Given Berry was SO highly rated last year (i.e. projected as a top 5 pick in this draft) and that clubs love him as a leader I have a strong feeling he will struggle to drop much further than say pick 15 ish. But you never know.

Ryan and Witherden clearly options among others, to fill this role as well, as discussed.

Just depends which way we want to play it.

For example if a player such as Jy Simpkin/Oliver Florent/Daniel Venables/SPP were still on the board at our pick 20 and we really liked them, well then we may just park our desire for a half back type until our pick 29 and instead preference getting one of these midfielder/fwd types here.

However lets say Berry surprisingly got through to 20 when we didn’t think he would (and we rated him higher than the other half back types i.e. Luke Ryan, Alex Witherden etc) then we perhaps pull the trigger here and just hope that one of the players in the above paragraph (for example) get through to our pick 29.

I am definitely agreeing with you there i think with so many picks GWS/GCS can afford to take a player based on need rather then ability

For example could see GWS decided to grab a battle/kerr/marshall as they lost strewart who was 4 in line, could also see them try to get English because they lack ruck depth, or potentially jump on logue to add some KPD depth

With GCS could see them potentially pluck a small forward early like a rioli, long etc due to the lack of smalls or potentially going for some inside depth

Will be a few big sliders i think

Sounds like hibberd mk 2

Luke Ryan was the only state league player invited to the national draft combine. That says a lot. To get the invite, there are a certain number of clubs required to express interest. So there are obviously a few clubs keen.

I wrote earlier that he trained with our VFL team earlier this year but we cut him, he went to Coburg and just lit it up (prior to some injury niggles).

Pretty good summation. I’ve seen a fair bit of him as i have a friend who plays for Coburg. The only thing I’d add is that he is no milk drinker (in a good way) and has a nice confident/aggressive streak. Similar to Hibberd. I hope we draft him.

Sounds like hibberd mk 2

Pretty good summation. I’ve seen a fair bit of him as i have a friend who plays for Coburg. The only thing I’d add is that he is no milk drinker (in a good way) and has a nice confident/aggressive streak. Similar to Hibberd. I hope we draft him.

Interesting. You’d be in as good a position as anyone on here to make an informed assessment of him.

My mate works in Coburg’s recruitment team and he was the one who told me that Essendon VFL had him down there in the pre-season then let him go lol. But yeah, this same guy really rates Ryan as a quality rebounding defender with AFL traits.