Mature aged recruits hidden gem longshots

That’s kind of what I was saying. 30 is decent if you’re an accumulator but plenty get that at state level without being drafted. But if he’s doing more with them (which the stats don’t say), then that is very good.

Interesting he won the B&F in 2014, but is tracking much better state wise this year.

1 Like

Being born in Perth, there are photos of me as a baby decked out in East Fremantle gear because my Dad went for the Sharks.

Have kept a passing interest in them ever since despite moving from Perth when I was 4.

Much like Essendon we have been a non factor since about 2000. Hadn’t paid attention yet this season, but just have a look at it, we sure are stinking it up this season.

Kelly had 24 disposals and 7 tackles in the WAFL vs VFL game as well (if it hasn’t been brought up before)
http://www.wafl.com.au/games/view/10992

1 Like

Wouldn’t mind looking at X Richards again.

We’d need to weigh up whether he’d offer equal to or more than Langford, Laverde or Francis as a 3rd (or 4th) tall/midfielder.
It’d be nice having a circa-2000 Caracella, Blumfield, Heffernan and Solomon quartet equivalent all over again though

He wouldn’t offer anything through midfield.

I reckon he’s as good as Brown though, and maybe Hartley and Stewart. Get him, and we can avoid drafting a KP for maybe 2 years, focus on mids.

BRING PEEDOS LOVECHILD IN

Corey was Dellisted.

Peedo is a bike

Sorry, but unless we’re going to lose a tall (possible) this feels unnecessary. We’ve got Hooker, Hurley, Hartley, JD and Stewart in the side at the moment. As depth we’ve got Ambrose, Brown, Francis, Ridley and if necessary either Smack or Belly up forward. Draper in a complete injury crisis emergency. We seem pretty covered for talls, and should only be bringing them in if either:
a) they’re a big step up on best 22 players
b) they’re young and will transition in after Hurley/Hooker get too old.

Given Xavier doesn’t fit either criteria, AND we’re (hopefully) going to get Mason Fletcher next year who will (hopefully) be a gun, I just don’t see how he would add anything to the squad.

2 Likes

So, I wander over to the Big Footy drafting board every now and then, and one of the topics for discussion are mature aged players. One in particular struck my eye from a needs perspective, and I was wondering if @Aceman might be able to keep an ear to the ground around him.

The BF thread is here: BF mature age prospects

The player I’m interested in is Sam Walker. He was eligible for last year’s draft, so he’s barely “mature aged”. Last year he was touted pre-draft as a rebounding defender who was a good user of the ball, but had started off life as a lock down defender. So I’m intrigued as we definitely need to replace Bags over the next few years, we want to do it with someone taken later in the draft, and if they’re an upgrade on Bags disposal that’s all to the plus. Walker is described as originally a lockdown defender who evolved his offense, good in the air, and a good left kick. He’s described as both 185cm or 188cm, so decent size but nothing special. Also missed his U18 preseason due to injury.

He was All Australian U18’s back pocket, and if he’s kept on playing well could be a good option. Especially if the draft is as weak as some are touting it to be.

Of course, there must have been some reason he didn’t get drafted! Although in stronger drafts, back pockets do get over looked a bit.

Some info from his draft year (last year):

Matt Balmer’s 2016 Final AFL Draft Power Rankings Part 1
#34 Sam Walker Medium Defender (Glenelg/South Australia)
16/03/1998 | 185.1cm | 79.2kg

I’m a big fan of rebounding defender Sam Walker. The South Australian has an exquisite left boot and hits targets at will when steaming from defence. Walker’s National Under 18 Championships saw him average 14 disposals and was named in the All Australian side. His disposal efficiency was elite from the carnival and continued his form back in the SANFL. Walker has pushed further up the ground at times, but looks most suited in defence with his great rebounding ability. Had the match up on Will Hayward in the SANFL U18 Grand Final in the wet and performed well.

Glenelg defender Sam Walker kicking his way to success
18, 188cm, 82kg
Defender

After an injury-interrupted pre-season, Walker, who comfortably kicks the ball 50m and has the potential to boot it much further as he strengthens his leg muscles, this year emerged as one of SA’s best draft hopes. He was one of five Croweaters selected in the under-18 All-Australian team following the national championships, along with Glenelg teammate Jonty Scharenberg, North Adelaide’s Jack Graham, Woodville-West Torrens’ Brennan Cox and Norwood’s Alex Villis. Crucially, Walker, 18 and a nice size at 188cm and 82kg, has added a greater attacking dimension to his game after initially forging his reputation as a lockdown defender.

While his kicking has been compared to Suckling’s, Walker is modelling his game on Sydney star Dane Rampe, who earned his first All-Australian nod this year after taking his attacking game to a new level.

– SANFL high performance manager Brenton Phillips.
“Love the way he plays. He’s a really good intercept mark who can peel off and catch it and then kick the ball really nicely coming back the other way. One of those players who can turn defence into attack very quickly.’’

afl-draft-combine-sam-walker-glenelg
Having already played A grade country at 16-year with the South Gambier Demons in the highly regarded Border Districts Football League back in 2014, Sam Walker overcame a stress fracture in his foot during the pre-season, which limited his preparation from October to late February, to become an All Australian Under 18 in this critical year of his football development.

A consistent rebounding defender through the national championships, Walker’s SANFL season finished on a high, being a big part of the one-point Glenelg under 18s title win on Sunday, September 18. His playing year culminated with the inaugural All Stars under 18s match on AFL Grand Final eve, at Punt Road, Richmond, on Friday, September 30.

Brenton Phillips’ thoughts on Mitchell: “At the top level I see Sam playing roles as a third tall defender and a running half back.” “He possesses good football skills and is strong over the ball. He is also good in the one-on-one contest. “There is a modern appeal for left footed defenders, which will help Sam as well. “He shows all the attributes of a well-rounded player.”

2 Likes

We definitely have a spot for a young back pocket.

If he has sufficient speed and agility to go with the best small forwards… then he sounds like a fine option for us.

Good find @Ants.

MUSCLES
MARIGILIANI

Have seen only a couple of games of him this year and hasn’t impressed me at all. Missed a couple of games with injury about a month or two ago and is currently injured I believe but he hasn’t been setting the world on fire. Struggling to get a kick at SANFL reserves level and hasn’t broken into a ordinary Glenelg league side yet and from regular watchers of them him he is a fair bit off

1 Like

RATS! Oh well, it looks like that guy on Big Footy was talking rubbish. Who woulda thunk it?

Matt Balmer is pretty highly respected after only a couple of years of posting draft content, and his phantom drafts have seemed to be some of the most accurate of all last 2 years.

Not saying Aceman is wrong just saying don’t think Balmer is just some BigFooty idiot talking out of his ■■■■

1 Like

Just to reiterate:

TIM KELLY

1 Like

Oh, I didn’t mean them. I meant the guy who originally posted that Sam Walker was doing well this year and a chance to be drafted (plus some info on the type of player he was), before I went and hunted up his draft year commentary. That poster was obviously full of it, if the guy isn’t even cracking the first team at SANFL level.

Ten VFL players invited to test at AFL State Combine

Ten VFL players invited to test at AFL State Combine

EMERGING forwards Bayley Fritsch and Alex Boyse head the list of 10 VFL players invited to the state combine in October.

Casey Demons left-footer Fritsch has booted 28 goals this season and Essendon’s Boyse, the son of former league player Maurice, has 26.

Both were in the state squad for the representative match against the WAFL in May.

Fritsch was among the VFL’s best in a heavy loss and Boyse was an emergency.

Boyse, 191cm and a product of VAFA club St Bernard’s, is one of four VFL Bombers off to the combine.

Speedster Nick Hind, defender James Ferry and ruckman Kieran Strachan were also invited, indicating interest from AFL clubs.

Dons GM Ash Brown said it was an excellent result for the club.

“It’s a great achievement and we’re very proud of all four boys,’’ he said.

“It’s a great reflection of the work they’ve put in individually since the pre-season and have continued on to the point they’ve been recognised by AFL clubs.

“Hopefully it gives them an opportunity to realise their dreams and get on to AFL lists.

“It’s a small part of their football journey but an important one in being seen by AFL clubs and recruiters.’’

Ferry, 22, has been on the VFL scene for four years and played as a key defender for the state team this year.

Brown said he believed there was “plenty of upside’’ to Ferry, who came out of the Calder Cannons.

“If he’s in a full-time program he can dedicate a lot more time to his body and his game and hopefully go to an AFL level.’’

Strachan, 21, is a ruckman from South Bendigo, where he won two best and fairests. He joined Essendon this year.

“He’s a very exciting prospect,’’ Brown said.

“At 203cm there aren’t many players in the VFL or even state league footy in Australia who have his mobility or agility and ability to potentially play key forward.

“He’s got very good hands and he’s super competitive.

“At age 21 he was already captain of South Bendigo. That shows the character and quality of Kieran. He’s a great young person.’’

Box Hill Hawk Sam Switkowski, Collingwood’s Marty ■■■■, Richmond’s Derrick Smith, and Williamstown pair Brett Bewley and Josh Newman also received invitations.
Brown said Boyse, 22, had “AFL qualities’’ and Essendon was “really excited what he can potentially do at the testing day’’.

Hind, like Boyse a second-year VFL Bomber and an emergency for this year’s state team, hails from East Point in Ballarat.

“Similar to Alex, he’s kept rising to a great standard,’’ Brown said of Hind, 22.

“He provides plenty of speed and run and carry, and if AFL clubs are looking for that type of player, someone who can break lines and sort of skip a line of the defence, then Nick’s a pretty exciting prospect like that.’’

Switkowski, Bewley and Newman played for the VFL representative team this year.

Newman, Frankston’s 2016 best and fairest, is the brother of Sydney Swan Nic, who won the VFL’s Fothergill Round Medal in 2014.

Fritsch, Boyse, Switkowski and ■■■■ are the leading contenders for this year’s Fothergill Round.

■■■■, who joined Collingwood from the Bendigo Pioneers last year, has made his mark with his marking.

“He’s gone from strength to strength this year, with his ability to ready the play, aerially and with his pinpoint disposal,’’ Collingwood GM Chris Dixon said of the left-footer.

“No doubt he’s turning some heads. He’s really suited to that third defender role with his intercept marking.

“His judgment of the ball in the air is as good as I’ve seen from a state league player of his age. “He’s certainly had a really good month of footy. He’s had a really good year, to be honest.’’

1 Like

So, Essendon VFL have 4 guys nominated. Boyse, Hind, Ferry and Strachan.