Mature aged recruits hidden gem longshots

Baulderstone! Panos! Petrenko!!

What’s that free against Wilson late?

WTF happened to SANFL crowds? There’s no one there!

1 Like

Is it true that since the new Adelaide Oval, there are no freebies anymore.
Previously, anyone with a Port or Adelaide membership would get into a SANFL game for free. I’m not sure if that included finals though.

Crowds have been poor for many years.
That was probably about the average crowd for semi finals. GF will probably get 30-35k
I know at Norwood we have lost plenty of members/supporters since the Crows and Power reserves have entered the comp. Most SANFL supporters hate that they are in the comp and plenty have voted with their feet

Shame.
That was a really well patronised comp.

Yeah. Has never been the same since the Crows joined the AFL. Many kids grow up now not knowing about the SANFL and only caring about the AFL. The SANFL like the VFL and WAFL is now a second tier comp and crowds reflect this

A wizard playing for us would be nice. :slightly_smiling_face:

(the leg speed, wow).

I had a mate many years ago who played in the SANFL for Port Adelaide. We went to Adelaide and watched Dave win a premiership in 77. The comp was rocking’, the crowd was great, it was excellent.
I’ve watched a bit of it in the years since, but not much since Port joined the AFL. Sad to see it like it is now.

Dave Granger I presume?
77 was a little before my time but the 70’s and 80’s were a fantastic era of SANFL.
Paul Weston and Stephen Copping would have played that day aswell.

1 Like

Yep, Dave Granger it was.
Lovely bloke, but serious white line fever, and willingness to do whatever it took.
And it those days it could get pretty willing.

Old Grave Danger as he was known here would make David Rhys-Jones look like a pansy. Was very common for him to king hit blokes off the ball and that hit on Graham Cornes in the 81 Prelim is SA footy folklore

2 Likes

Has Seb Ross re-signed with the Saints?

Did he end his days playing for Greenacres in the Ammos?

I remember my old man taking me to a prelim once, reckon Granger was captain-coach. Green acres were down at 3/4 time and the speech was along the lines of “If we’re not playing a GF next week then make sure some of these ■■■■■ can’t eirher”.

First time I’d heard the C-bomb dropped in anger, certainly in such quantity…

From memory Adrian was going to make his debut in the 1st, only to have some trouble at the Cas… Was reported in HUN the next day as Bomber Star arrested.

Given our drafting of Sturt players last year, I wonder if we’re one of the clubs that got Shane McAdam a combine invite? Highlights look good, but that’s their purpose, right? What sort of player is he? On the highlights I saw, he takes a strong mark and kicks goals both from the set shot & some freakish ones. Is he a pressure player in the F50?

1 Like

Would be interesting to know who wanted invites for who

1 Like

Can you test mature age players separately away from the combine?
Or is the combine the only way they can be tested?

I think you can. I vaguely recall you have to inform the AFL though.

1 Like

I reckon Josh Clayton from Southport would be a good get.

Came 3rd in the NEAFL comp MVP.

191cm 88kg midfielder, lead comp in possessions and 2nd in inside 50’s

4 Likes

I think this is correct and done in order (along with having to nominate for draft) to stop clubs hiding away players in the bush somewhere.