Mature aged recruits hidden gem longshots

You would be content if your pick 8 turned out like Martin only we wouldn’t have to wait 3 years for them to come on. Martinis ready to go and about to enter his prime

There’s no guarantee that whomever we did pick up at 8 this year would develop into a player of Martins current ability.

3 Likes

I may have mentioned this before but what is the go running on hard wooden floors? Don’t we play on grass?

1 Like

Need to be able to test regardless of conditions and it must be the same conditions for every states combine, having it all on the same type of surface makes the results fairer I think

3 Likes

Same type of grass?
I know they grow some weird stuff in the west but really hard wood flooring…In SA they have some good beaches why not test on sand?

Like I said the conditions also play a part, these tests have mandatory dates which they won’t postpone if it’s windy or rainy. Doing it on that surface and under cover minimises any issues that could effect a fair testing.

In the grand scheme it’s not that important but I feel that’s the reason why and I think it’s the same for every sport around the world but don’t quote me on that

2 Likes

Most other sports that have extensive testing NFL, BB etc are played on artificial surfaces.

Yeah I read somewhere sports scientists taking realistic variable out of the analysis by making all conditions the same.
They shouldn’t be let out of the laboratory.

1 Like

who gives a ■■■■ mate?

2 Likes

They’re taking a variable out that actually applies which is dumb. Do it on grass where footballers play.

Not on grass = more sciency
On grass = more sportsy

2 Likes

People really believe having the players run from a psuedo-block start through a set of timing gates 20m apart on grass would really be that much more “realistic” than doing it on any other surface?

2 Likes

Yes.

3 Likes

Now play ball.

giphy

The 20m sprint is a bit of a joke any way imo.

A 40m sprint with gates at multiple distances would give a better picture of a players acceleration and top speed.

The old repeat sprint test was also a good one for testing speed endurance, shame they scrapped it.

1 Like

Are people really getting worked up that the speed test, which isn’t designed to test football skills, is being conducted in a controlled environment so that they can compare across venues and years?

FFS, the “draft footballers not athletes” line has gone to a new level this year.

The recruiters have been watching these guys for years. They know whether they can play football and whether they’re “football quick”. These tests are designed to supply different information that can add to the recruiters knowledge base.

This information is valuable because it is measured in a controlled way.

3 Likes

One idiot is getting worked up

1 Like

So Scott has selected North Melbourne, but GCS have traded in Miles and C. Ellis. Assuming Martin isn’t leaving and May if traded is replaced by a single (high) pick. Assume they lose Scrimshaw, Hall and Kolo, but for 2019 picks.

So they now need to delist another four players before they would need to use their picks #28, #31, #41, #43 and #44. Someone’s going to get a good deal I’d say.

1 Like

Is there any chance marlion pickett would be there at our first selection on draft day?

He who apparently doesn’t give a ■■■■.

U can’t take away the variant and replace it with an unlikely control. Otherwise your experiment is for a jigfest! And if right they’ve been jigfesting for years.