Mature aged recruits hidden gem longshots

Good call.

What we have

Bellchambers
Draper
McKernan
Daniher
Lavender

Really depends on how we see the last 3. If we don’t see them as anything more than “chop out” rucks, then we need another genuine 1st ruck, even if they’re an 18 to. If we’d be happy to play Daniher or McKernan full time ruck, then we can take the chance with the list as we have it.

The new prior opportunity interpretation for rucks is a double edged sword in this case, suits Daniher, but also means it’s riskier playing a kid who might get manhandled.

1 Like

Add Tom Campbell. A no brainer for mine.

2 Likes

Yeah, reasonable option

Menzel delisted from Cats… I think we need a pressure small forward rather than goal kicking one though…

1 Like

Probably right but Menzel gives very good return. He’d be a massive upgrade on Green but would he bring as much as Bags? 27.

Can anyone with a bit of time on their hands post the names of dfa’s picked up in recent years and the number of games they have earned for their adopted side. This will provide a guide to how few go on to deliver at their new side and rebuff those advocating for neade and sheridan types.

Only ‘A abit’ ? That line was wider than the sydney harbour bridge

1 Like

We have 2 small pressure & goal kicking fwds in tippa & raz. Can also throw in dev at times

I felt like our pressure really matured though when Baguley went forward… he is the benchmark now I think in the side for forward pressure

7 Likes

Downgrade on the Corgi.
Only thing Menzel chases is his pay packet.
Plays within a 35 metre circle, can’t lead, and his body breaks if he tries a shepherd.

Very skilful within those limitations- ideal indoor footy player.

1 Like

Simpkin (eh) - Hawks - 33
Gillies - melbourne - 2
Roberton - saints - 91*
Lower - bulldogs - 13

Cross - melbourne - 39
Laidler - swans - 61
McGuane - brisbane - 7
Addison - giants - 5
Armstrong - pies - 6
Nahas - north - 34
Aiden Riley - melbourne - 13
Derickx - sydney - 13

Hunt - richmond - 42
Membrey - saints - 58*
Hamling - dockers - 40*
Blease - geelong - 1
Robinson - brisbane - 68*
Newton - melbourne - 17
D.ick - carlton - 6

Moore - richmond - 5
Grant - suns - 14
Gorringe - carlton - 4
Wright - carlton - 65

Kelly - Essendon - 40
Green - Essendon - 24
Dea - Essendon - 39*
Barlow - suns - 15
Henderson - hawks - 40*

Morgan - north - 2*
Mullett - carlton - 13
Keeffe - giants - 7*
McKenzie - port - 2*
Trengove - port - 2*

8 Likes

If Meese is who I think he is he’d be too small at AFL.
Only 196-198cm iirc

2 Likes

The thing that list should probably be compared to is the back end of the respective drafts. I can’t be ■■■■■■ checking them all, but for example the last four picks of the 2012 draft were Rory Atkins (77*), Lewis Pierce (4), Sean Gregory (0) and Brad Hartman (5).

1 Like

And why guys like Cam Wood and Jon Giles get to 3 AFL clubs.

1 Like

We’ve already got a log-jam of mid size forwards we can’t possibly fit into the side - Stringer’s in, with Begley/Lav on the sidelines.

Not sure we need another? Particularly one who’s so one-dimensional.

Listed at 196 and 105kg, he looks a bit shorter and about 15kg heavier than that. Absolute brute but zero chance of an AFL career IMO.

1 Like

Iirc he’s about my age as well which puts him the wrong side of 30.

Around the waist, amirite?

He’s got strength and scrap, but the AFL umps who hate Smack may well hate him even more…

Soooo, younger than 30?

2 Likes

Seeing Pops Kelly on that list makes me sentimental.

Never had I hated a Geelong player more, but done a full 180 when he joined us!

Great player to watch and clubman!

1 Like