Mature aged recruits hidden gem longshots

Hitout is only part of job. Hitting to the right spots another thing entirely. The hitout stat on its own is useless.

Knowing when and where to run around the ground another skill entirely. Not to mention physical demands on playing the position well. Makes it one of the toughest position to play.

2 Likes

Picking up Campbell is a no brainer? Are you saying heā€™s clearly superior to every other non-AFL listed ruckman in the country? I find that hard to believe

Yeah if he hadnā€™t been in our VFL setup years ago, I doubt thereā€™d be any talk.
Dogs havenā€™t really used him as a lead ruckman until this year.
Then chopped him.
To go with Tim English, a kid.

Ask why.

Iā€™d rather Zac Clark than Campbell. He at least has a long term potential instead of a break glass in emergency and hope.

Imagine if Clarke came back to AFL and gunned it for four seasons.
Biggest comeback since Pods.

1 Like

Long term?
He will be 29 before the 2019 season starts

1 Like

My impression is that Clarke seems to be a more midfieldery ruckman while Campbell is more of a big Jamary immobile beast.

Willing to stand corrected as I donā€™t really know much about either.

Campbell is pretty decent up forward and would complement Draper better in the twoā€™s.

Based on his recent form, Iā€™d feel more confident with Zac Clarke replacing Bellchambers for a chunk of time if he gets injured.

2 Likes

I like the sound of Marlion Pickett. Hope heā€™s not begin dismissed solely on his past.

2 Likes

I prefer the sound of Wilson Pickett, but why not?

6 Likes

Isnā€™t Marlion what Stringer calls that thing on his chest?

11 Likes

2-3 years vs Campbell who will be gone after 3 crap games.

I was on board with Clarke, and then I watched the first 10 minutes of the WAFL GF, and remembered him at AFL level.

Conceptually an athletic, late 20s ruckman who is very good at state league level, and who could come in and do the job would be ideal, but heā€™s still massively skinny. I reckon weā€™d be better off just finding a skinny 20yo.

I found this guy, who Knightmare rated highly at the start of his U18 year (2016), but went undrafted, now 20 he played 6 SANFL games this year, including the GF (where he went head to head with Baulderstone,ā€¦Bauldestone had 50 hitouts to Sweetā€™s 24, but North Adelaide won). 203cm, so same height as Clarke, but already looks bigger.

and @stallion can probably get on board with his sweet-ness

3 Likes

looks like a solid unit

Have seen a lot of Campbell over the last couple of years, would seriously get more out of an inanimate carbon rod across across the group. Thereā€™s surely better rucks across the state leagues

Jordan has done Sweet ā– ā– ā– ā–  all

Considering weā€™re looking for someone to cover Bellchambers if he gets injured, Iā€™d rather the guy who is ready to go, even if he is skinny.

1 Like

Oh, I know that. The decision would be based on Draper being the main backup. If he needed a chopout then Iā€™d be going to Sweet as #3, or using McKernan and Daniher.

Basically the thinking was that rather than put someone (who I didnā€™t really rate) between Bellchambers and Draper, Iā€™d put someone behind Draper who might provide Draper with a small amount of chopout, who might fill in for a week if both Bellchambers and Draper were injured.

I have previously rated Clarke from seeing him as a 17yo in a TAC cup game at Princes Park, where he just looked next level athletic, but am very concerned about the fact that at 28 odd heā€™s still a tall skinny guy who is getting pushed around in ruck contests (at WAFL level). Heā€™s athletic, sure, but what is he going to give us. He wonā€™t give us any major centre square presence, so why wouldnā€™t I just use McKernan and Daniher in that case? He might compete with McKernan for whatever role he plays, but Clarke just has no intensity at all.

So instead Iā€™m recruiting another ruck for the future, but obviously not an 18yo as, short of there being one of the young guns there, weā€™ll just be getting a guy to warehouse until heā€™s 20+. So I take a 20yo, who hasnā€™t looked ready to do much, but due to injury was called upon to play SANFL seniors in the last 6 weeks of the season, and acquitted himself decently.

Of course if you can find me a late 20s guy who will do the job and is worth putting in front of Draper for the year, Iā€™m all ears.

And if you can find a good 19-22 yo who might sit somewhere alongside or just behind Draper Iā€™m all ears as well.

We need someone most likely, and Iā€™m prepared to hear every argument out there. 212cm 18yo basketball player, through to getting Paul Salmon out of retirement. How would you do it?

3 Likes

Iā€™m all for finding a 7 foot basketballer :smile:

Itā€™ll all come down to where the club sees Draper in development. Personally, whilst he could definitely play a game or two in the seniors, I see Sammy as being 12-18 months off from being genuinely AFL ready. Which is why Iā€™d rather a mature ruckman who is ready to slide into the seniors if Bellch goes down for an extended period of time, Campbell or Clarke would be my choice with Darcy Fort as a still youngish, pure 205cm ruckman an option.

I wouldnā€™t mind adding a young development Ruck/FF to our list, to be honest, however, Bailey Williams is the only one I rate in this draft and heā€™ll likely be gone in the 20s, if not earlier. Hugo Munn is a late option, but he lacks the athleticism to be a genuine forward option imo.

I wonder if the club was a little blind sighted by Leuenbergerā€™s decision and whether they may have acquired a ruckman during the trade period had theyā€™d known earlier.

2 Likes

Luey was offered a contract by the club knowing full well that he was unlikely to sign it, but hoping he would

1 Like

Does Dodoro makes the final decision on who we recruit? Iā€™d imagine the recruiting process to very consultative, with recommendations from our recruiters & spotters. The match committee would also have a say.