McGrath our next captain

I think he did. He just had more of an impact at the same time.

Unless Heppell voluntarily hands it over, I can’t see it changing for a few years anyway.

1 Like

Dont think you should have a bloke who cant watch what he eats and stay in proper shape as captain.

1 Like

Dodoro does not draft kids who are not from good families.

But seriously, we are now in an era where almost all the players are millenials.
They are a different beast.
They are not forged in the harshness of suburban gang fights on Satdy nights, but
schooled in moral compasses and an ethical life in private schools. They are getting a degree in their time off and finding ways of negative gearing more assets while playing footy on their 500+K a year contracts, and planning end of year trips overseas…

Jack Clarke was 25. McGrath needs another couple of years development as a midfielder before it would be fair to burden him with the captaincy of this rabble. It’s a moot point anyway because the job will be Heppell’s for a few years yet.

Edit: This was supposed to be a reply to the opening post.

2 Likes

Would seriously love that.

When a team mate gets bullied he’s the first one there to fly the flag

3 Likes

That’s a sad indictment when we prioritise leadership over everything else when recruiting.

Sack Dod…oh it’s been said enough.

1 Like

You can be a nice bloke and still demand standards. Shouting at everyone all the time doesn’t show anything except that the shouter is an idiot. A leader leads by a) himself doing what is required, i.e., setting the example, b) making sure that everyone understands exactly what is required and exactly what will not be accepted, and c) identifying those who are not doing what is required or who are doing the unacceptable and taking action about them. He doesn’t have to shout or be nasty to do that. He has to be very clear, and when firmness is needed he has to be very firm. And in order to do those things he has to have a clear and level head.

Andy McGrath has the first of the necessary qualities: he leads by example. He also appears to have a very clear and level head. I’m sure he’s got the strength of will to let his teammates know what they need to do; whether he’s got their respect sufficiently to carry them with him is something we don’t know yet, but in time I expect that we’ll find out.

10 Likes

Maybe it’s a bit early for him… not sure. But Heppell is out more than in due to injuries but also seems to be slowing up. I like McGrath’s guts and determination and it’s an example that needs to get into those players wearing the red and black too often coasting when we fall behind or are under the cosh.

McGrath reminds me a bit of when I saw Bobby Skilton play in his only final he ever did. 1970 I think it was, against St.Kilda at the G and we were given free tickets up close to the boundary, so went along. Saints flogged them that day… South were always a battling team back then but no one had told Skilton. He was everywhere that day, as usual to be fair. And I mean everywhere, using all his tricks and I remember even when the game had long gone he was still urging, helping and contesting like there was no tomorrow, right in front of us kids at throw ins in the last seconds. He was possessed. Best afield in a losing team. He made a huge impact on us young guys going home because clearly he knew how valuable it was in a lowly South Melbourne to get to and play in a final. His only one.

Bobby Skilton was a triple brownlow captain who’d run through a brick wall for his team and teammates. And I see a Skilton determination in Andy McGrath each week. McGrath’s not quite as clever or skilful as Skilton but he has that same passion and drive for his team and teammates.

Heppell is an excellent club captain but often not there and the future is questionable. Perhaps he can keep taking the external demands of a captain. But on field right now… Andy McGrath for me. And its no coincidence he was handed the coveted No.1 jumper either imho.

4 Likes

Gandhi was a bad leader because he never went in hard enough.

Mandela wimped it too.

1 Like

Not sure about that one. He advocated armed resistance to apartheidt, and although he may not have got involved in firefights himself, that was because he’d been put in prison for sedition, where he remained for 27 years. I’d say he went in pretty hard.

2 Likes

Kind of doesn’t make sense what you are saying.

The whole idea is the players follow his lead not stop.

Depends what your looking for in a captain. I want my captain to represent everything that the Essendon Football Club is…

Captain Cutler

Well you look like being disappointed.

Ok. I’ll concede his early days. :grinning:

1 Like

Savage!

1 Like

I think the Heppell to McGrath transition feels about right in a couple of years. Don’t share the view that Heppell is lacking as a leader.

But if we are talking about 2-3 years down the track, why not Jordan Ridley? At the rate he is developing, he looks likely to be calibre of player we havent had on the list since Jobe. Not sure of his leadership credentials- but in three years he’ll be 24 and for all we know has taken the competition by storm.

2 Likes

Who is this Heppell we talk about, actually forgotton about him

1 Like

Ridley could well be a possibility, but it’s too early to say.

Ideally you want someone who, by the time he’s in his third or fourth year, is an automatic selection and an obvious leader on the field.

Ridley is an excellent player. It’s yet to be seen whether he’s a leader

1 Like