Media agenda- Shortened Quarters

16 minute quarters would make many statistical comparisons against past seasons inaccurate and irrelevant. The comms pointing that out each time they go ahead and make such comparisons anyway would be annoying.

4 Likes

Just on higher scoring as well, I dislike high scoring games they’re boring, tension isn’t built up, goals mean less, there is less contested footy less tackles because it’s more end to end, I may be in the minority but tough brutal contests are so rewarding when you win as opposed to high octane end to end uncontested ball movement with lots of goals.

Gimme 80-70 game over a 120-110 game anyday.

2 Likes

I am not radically against it, but it does make the old records near impossible to break. Doubt we would see 100 goals again, rare as it is now. As a viewing spectacle, but here and there either way.

One good thing though I expect injuries would be reduced due to shorter recovery, less game time, etc, so we would see our best players more often

3 Likes

Can they leave anything in our game alone?

Have well and truly rooted it.

8 Likes

We would have to like the shorter quarters so far.

If not for that, we would have lost against Freo.

3 Likes

When 7 did their news story about the league being “postponed”, they legitimately filmed that ■■■■ stevens in the presser whilst that other ■■■■ Gilhead was talking. It was as though they were trying to make him out as someone important.

… if that’s some kind of lock in Room at a Sex Club, … :smirk:

2 Likes

It was some of the crappiest, unskilled , low scoring, uninspiring half arsed footy I’ve seen.

There was nothing on display that we want in the real season(s). Shorter quarters? FRO. The game already provides incrementally less value on what it once did.

Did you see the crowds on the weekend…record low crowds across the board (and not reported in the media)

5 Likes

With the massive financial destruction to the game I think the game will turn back in the favour of the supporters/members. They will be doing everything they can to repair the damage which hopefully should translate into listening to what we actually want.

There should be less people within the industry to justify their wages and less egos to leakage their impression on what they think we want.

1 Like

Reducing the quarters to 16 min would mean taking a gigantic dump on the total, combined histroy of the competition. The stars of a reduced game would also be reduced in stature accordingly.

l am not a fan of shortening the game, actually l detest the idea, as l want to see the records continue, and the history evolve, not be truncated to appease the whims of the holder of the TV rights.

The game is bigger than that, and the goon squad should leave it alone, stop messing with it for the sake of more advertising revenue. Cut the game by 20% and l will lose 50% interest in it.

13 Likes

So we cut player rotations to tire the players out quicker, thus opening up the game.
We then shorten the quarters, lessening the workload, so we end up back where we started.
Rule Changes Committee 101.

7 Likes

Lol. :laughing: So true.

If we had of had 20 min qtrs last week, we would have lost.

Yes, because only the Final qtr would have gone longer,… and that’s the only thing that could have affected the outcome… :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

We may have kicked 3 or 4 more goals in the 1st.

8 Likes

Typical media mouth pieces pushing the AFL’s agenda. GFY, Whately you waste of skin.

Football media in the country is almost as bad as the umpiring.

5 Likes

Haha, whoops, bugger!

I don’t mind somewhere between 16-20 minute quarters but (in a full season obviously) give us 34 games a season. 1 home & 1 away against all 17 sides.