Melbourne Tigers into Melbourne United

The owners of the Melbourne Tigers have, in their infinite wisdom, have decided to junk the Melbourne Tigers name and 30 years of success and history, for some wank known as Melbourne United, in an effort to unite all of Melbourne's basketball fans behind one organisation.

Needless to say, those loyal to the Tiger cause, from the Gaze family though to Lanard Copeland and the loyal fans there each week are up in arms.

I agree with you on this.

I've never been a Tigers man.

I went for the Spectres, Magic, Kings, then Dragons.

I'll never follow the Tigers and despite the name change they'll always be the Tigers. Unfortunately for the Tigers fans they're losing the identity of their team for no real benefit.

Bring back the Hobart Devils

the nbl is still around?

ps. fark the tigers. always hated them as a kid, haven't watched a full game since the north melbourne giants folded

Bring back the Brisbane Bullets.

Loggins, Sengstock, Sibley.  Superstars of Australian sport.

ps. fark the tigers. always hated them as a kid, haven't watched a full game since the north melbourne giants folded

Now that brings back some memories of the NBL glory days.

Bring back the Brisbane Bullets.

Loggins, Sengstock, Sibley.  Superstars of Australian sport.

fisher, dmac, rees > those three

Wildcats... Fisher, Vlahov, Riiiiiiiicky Graaaace, JC.

Wildcats... Fisher, Vlahov, Riiiiiiiicky Graaaace, JC.

yeah, awesome team. ricky grace was a beast

great times

Yeah big Tigers fan, always hated the Magic/Giants/Titans/Dragons, whatever club Goorjian was coaching that eventually became financially insolvent. Was going to go to games this season now I’m back in town but Melb Utd sounds like a merger between Victory and Heart. Replace the basketball on the logo with a soccer ball and that’s it. NBL is screwed.

Didn’t this happen a month ago?

Yes.

Bring back the Hobart Devils

steve carfino

Then the delay in this thread being made is indicative of how little even the OP and anyone else really cares.

Didn't this happen a month ago?

Only been 2 weeks.

Safe to say however that the one thing the new owners are trying to achieve actually won't happen as wez points out. Basically it means that in reality, the groundwork done by the Tigers in recent years and the upcoming move to Margaret Court Arena for home matches ain't gonna amount to much.

The other thing is the owners actually still own the Tigers name as well, which means they control the destiny of the club.

Only thing I can think of to change it is a Supreme Court injunction.

Is the press conference of the announcement of the name change up yet? I spent hours trying to find it last week and it didn't exist according to the internet. Kinda like the NBL I suppose....

the nbl is still around?

A better quality of competition is to be found here this weekend: http://www.foxsportspulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=1-5008-0-0-0&a=COMPS

Screw the Melbourne (insert name here)

I blame Richmond FC for this