Melksham or Hocking #1 tagger?

lolyep. :slight_smile:

Melk would fkn flog anyone in a box, he loves it, i was visioning him feeding yarran a uppercut yesterday

I still reckon the question will be Melks vs Howlett or even Melks vs Stanton by the end of the year. The "shape" is much better now, with one fewer slow/inside guy (whether that's Myers or Hocking) and one more outside player(Coons).

But isn’t that exactly where we failed? Contested possession?

MELK is the angriest player we have. Love this aggression. Has been playing well in his assigned role.

The midfield just got beaten up at the stoppages by a team that won’t make the finals. Hocking is the second most valuable stoppage player after Watson and having Myers out just exacerbates his loss. There’s no question that when fit, Hocking goes back into the middle.

Wtf?

Joe or Alwyn Davey for FF???

Melksham is currently a direct replacement for Hocking, playing Hocking’s role. It’s a relevant comparison.

While I think it’s an interesting topic, when we reach the situation where all of Watson, Heppell, Melk and Hocking are all fit and in form at the same time, then we worry about Who starts in the middle.

History shows that injuries end up rendering these debates pointless. It will be a great problem to have if we end up with it.

I love Jakey and I think he makes us a heap better side when he's up and going - but there is zero chance he will ever become better at doing Hocking's job than Hocking. Not a pot shot, just how I see it. I don't think Hocking could do his job either. He's done a solid enough job in the run-with role but he's doing the job in a very different manner. Much less body contact, much looser at contests, much more attacking. More a midfielder who plays on the man, than goes all out to stop him. If you put numbers on it, Hocking is about 80/20 defensive/attacking, Myers is about 50/50, Jobe is about 30/70. Melks would be about 60/40.

In a similar vein, Myers’ spot from last year has effectively been taken by a smaller running player (so far it’s been Cooney, and Howlett’s played a bit more midfield). But would you say Cooney has been playing the ‘4th inside mid’ role - (Myers’ role) ? I wouldn’t.

So no, I don’t think Melks will ever take Hocking’s role. He might end up taking his spot but that will be different (and slightly bigger) decision - a re-jigging of the whole setup & balance of the midfield.

Just my 2 cents.
I don’t really think they’re competing head to head. I think if Jake has a strong year it’s just as likely to be Howlett (or even Stanton) feeling the pinch as Hocking.

Wtf?

Joe or Alwyn Davey for FF???

Melksham is currently a direct replacement for Hocking, playing Hocking’s role. It’s a relevant comparison.

While I think it’s an interesting topic, when we reach the situation where all of Watson, Heppell, Melk and Hocking are all fit and in form at the same time, then we worry about Who starts in the middle.

History shows that injuries end up rendering these debates pointless. It will be a great problem to have if we end up with it.

I love Jakey and I think he makes us a heap better side when he's up and going - but there is zero chance he will ever become better at doing Hocking's job than Hocking. Not a pot shot, just how I see it. I don't think Hocking could do his job either. He's done a solid enough job in the run-with role but he's doing the job in a very different manner. Much less body contact, much looser at contests, much more attacking. More a midfielder who plays on the man, than goes all out to stop him. If you put numbers on it, Hocking is about 80/20 defensive/attacking, Myers is about 50/50, Jobe is about 30/70. Melks would be about 60/40.

In a similar vein, Myers’ spot from last year has effectively been taken by a smaller running player (so far it’s been Cooney, and Howlett’s played a bit more midfield). But would you say Cooney has been playing the ‘4th inside mid’ role - (Myers’ role) ?
I wouldn’t.

So no, I don’t think Melks will ever take Hocking’s role. He might end up taking his spot but that will be different (and slightly bigger) decision - a re-jigging of the whole setup & balance of the midfield.

I don’t really think they’re competing head to head. I think if Jake has a strong year it’s just as likely to be Howlett (or even Stanton) feeling the pinch as Heath.

Just my 2 cents.

The amount of blocking that Hocking does around stoppages is invaluable to the team. I’d bet that Watson and Heppell love having him around the contest. Melk has done a very good job in his absence, but I think Hocking’s inside work and defensive work makes us a much better team.

At the moment we need to work at getting first hands to the ball. Carlton had us well covered in that area, as did Hawthorn and Sydney. Especially late in the game. What we are doing well is using it to advantage on the outside, and pressuring well when they’ve got the ball to create turnovers.

I reckon Hocking will play a couple of games in the VFL when he is ready, and will be back into the senior setup pretty quickly once his GPS numbers are good enough.

I don't think anyone is suggesting Hocking is 'just' a tagger. Well, maybe one person.
Not quite, but bar Crowley (and ASADA well might...) he's as defensive as anyone in the game (McAffer? Taylor Hunt? Any one of about 8 Carlton spuds?)
I still reckon the question will be Melks vs Howlett or even Melks vs Stanton by the end of the year. The "shape" is much better now, with one fewer slow/inside guy (whether that's Myers or Hocking) and one more outside player(Coons).

But isn’t that exactly where we failed? Contested possession?

True.
We’ve also been beaten by Melbourne about 42892 times when we’ve dominated the clearances and CP so I’m not massively fussed about it.

Rather 25 quick, clean clearances than 40 hacked straight to the opposition.

duplicate please delete

You can’t carry 2 Taggers in a team. Luckily they’re both defensive midfielders.

But that’s the debate isn’t it? Whether we rejig the midfield mix?

No, of course Melksham never will be a better shutdown tagger than Hocking. The discussion revolves around (as I see it) if we actually need to have a designated tagger in the team, or run somebody like Melksham in a ‘run with’ role.

I think we do, but I’m very pro ‘tagger’ so I may be biased. And while I agree that Melk won’t go out of the side for Hocking, relegating him to a lesser role may (will) see his output drop drastically.

And stop hating on Stanton :slight_smile:

Hocking is more of a pure tagger whereas Melksham is more of a defensive run-with player. Hocking does more stuff to deny his opponent getting to the ball and does more blocking for our other midfielders. Melksham gets more of the ball in attack.

To be honest i actually prefer the role that Melksham performs more. I think we may struggle to have both in the same midfield at the same time (unless Melksham can become a straight up ball winner).

No, of course Melksham never will be a better shutdown tagger than Hocking. The discussion revolves around (as I see it) if we actually need to have a designated tagger in the team, or run somebody like Melksham in a ‘run with’ role.

I think we do, but I’m very pro ‘tagger’ so I may be biased. And while I agree that Melk won’t go out of the side for Hocking, relegating him to a lesser role may (will) see his output drop drastically.

Pretty much as I see it, I just got confused by your 'playing the same role' comment.

Depends what his role ends up as really. We may end up starting a better one of our better midfielders somewhere else, so Jake can start there - purely because the drop off most guys is a heck of a lot less than him. Relegated from tagging to playing full-time on-ball? :wink:

Pretty much as I see it, I just got confused by your 'playing the same role' comment.

Depends what his role ends up as really. We may end up starting a better one of our better midfielders somewhere else, so Jake can start there - purely because the drop off most guys is a heck of a lot less than him. Relegated from tagging to playing full-time on-ball? :wink:

Yeah, same role but playing it differently… Probably should have said ‘spot.’ But, semantics.

The annoying thing with Melk, is that he is dangerous around goal, is very good in the air for his size, and he’s great at pumping the ball inside 50. He should be an effective half forward.

Who knows, maybe this year he will be, but at whose expense is the big question.

Hocking is soooo far ahead in the defensive midfielder / tagger role, that this thread is laughable.

Don’t under rate Hockings ability to play an attacking game, he is far better than people give him credit.

With Myers out I would bring hocking in as a normal mid and leave jake to run with the oppositions best player. It would be invaluable to jake do be applying his craft with hocking there to help and instruct.

Isn’t Budda back this week?