Memories of windy Hill

You’re wrong. Absolutely wrong.

1 Like

No, there weren’t. Noonan is correct on this one.

Oh yes, the peanut man, god bless him. Then there is the famous or infamous windsock. Of course we have to mention the pie stand placed only a few feet away from the ‘gentlemen’s toilets’ in the outer wing. Talking of which was the often very funny and witty comments in the crowd. Lets not forget trying to hop on one of the W class trams that were lined up in Napier Street after the match, or trying to find a much valued car parking spot in Shakespeare Street. When a youngster I would often ride my bike after finishing my Herald delivery from ■■■■ Reynolds Newsagency in Rose street to the ground and watch John Coleman or Jack Clarke taking training. Giving back the ball kicked into the outer by Ken Fraser. I had bragging rights at Strathmore State school for weeks.

8 Likes

Potentially. I don’t remember too much from the actual match.

Another memory, GF week training in 2000. Can’t believe it’s been 20 years :expressionless:

2 Likes

I envy those who grew up with suburban grounds.

I’ve been to VFL matches at Windy Hill and they’re fun but not quite the same.

5 Likes

We had a house in Napier Street in the 1970’s and Ian Marsh who was a brickie, built our front fence. It was a high brick fence and he did a great job; on the day he was finishing (for the first time), Krackers Keenan got off the tram to go to training at Windy Hill, saw Marsh and came over aand seeing th emortar was still wet, said that theire were some crooked bricks, and he and pulled bricks out of the middle of the fence, which half fell down.

Next day Ian Marsh completed it for the second time and Mrs Fox watched out for Keenan with the garden hose in hand.

10 Likes

Great story, thanks. Good thread this and reminds me of so many good times and players. Not too successful but happy memories.

1 Like

bomber_girl was still playing Hopscotch when we won our last Flag :rofl:

:cry:

1 Like

The long train ride in. Dad’s pre game pots and my brother and I getting raspberries. Sitting on the wing on the stoop so we could see, the blue coats didn’t mind. The long train ride home with a stop at Derby’s if we won. The replay or highlights on the news when we got home.

1 Like

Getting a lift down to the ground the night of the 1984 and parking myself outside the social club with a few thousand others and a 6 pack of VB. Just hung around with a few mates, met a few more, and soaked up the atmosphere/relief of our first premiership since the year I was born.
Almost made up for the rubbish I had to sit through in the mid/late 70’s

1 Like

Used to get out there before the gates opened, in order to score a seat near the outer wing. Watched all the reserves then seniors, great for identifying future stars. Remember the blue smoke haze that used to hover above the ground on a sunny late afternoon. Changing trains at Spencer Street on the way home and having a can of coke and a Neslte Crunch from the platform vending machine.

1 Like

I was at that game - Easter Monday. It was one of those days when we could do no wrong and we made Carlton look like a pathetic rabble. The noise of kids banging on the tin walls at the back of the outer wing stand every time we scored was unbeliveable.

1 Like

I’d thought Queen’s Birthday. Pretty sure it was a Monday.

It was round 12, so Queens’ Birthday makes sense.

You are correct. I had remembered it as a public holiday Monday.

Back in the early 60s, arriving at the ground before the gates opened with my mate and racing as soon as they opened to get a seat on one of the two rings of wooden backless benches next to the fence in the Outer, and sitting there watching the whole reserves game drinking tomato soup from a thermos my mate’s mother had made for us. Running onto the ground after the main game in my no. 10 guernsey and getting Bluey Shelton’s autograph in my book. I was about half his height, and I remember he had red hairs on his arms.

7 Likes

And spreading the blanket on backless benches to reserve your family’s spot.

3 Likes

I also remember in 1968 or 1969, going to Windy Hill with school friends to watch Gary Parkes play Under 19 about 9 am. He played a half at CHF and was pulled to play in the Reserves Team in the following match. Which started about 11:30 before the Seniors played.

Might have been the only week, but I am pretty sure that is what happened.

I think that Parkesy kicked 1 goal 11 points up to half-time in the thirds; he was always before his time and would fit right in now.

2 Likes

Was there to see Ken Fletcher play his last game. He ran onto the ground holding the hand of his skinny young son. Little did I know.

Edit: I’m thinking Ken may have been injured during the season and the farewell game may have actually been a farewell lap. Anyone remember?

2 Likes