Merve Keane

Ripping bloke. Spoke to him for about 15 minutes at one of the family days and he asked more questions about me than I did to him. Genuine, caring, fantastic human being.

8 Likes

Massive loss for our recruitment team. seems like a great person. has been through absolute hell so its understandable that he needs some fresh air. wishing him all the very best

8 Likes

Heā€™s a ripping fella, merve. Would always stop for a chat about the game/players if asked and was quite honest in his appraisal of how guys (who he had played a part in drafting) were going.

Hopefully his new venture is both successful and satisfying after everything he has been through.

9 Likes

Clearly an outstanding bloke and talent spotter but he will always live on in my memory for:

ā€œGā€™DAY TIPPA, MERVE SPEAKINGā€

9 Likes

This is a HUGE loss for the EFC! I think our drafting has been outstanding since he joined forces with Dodoro. Was it 2007? his first draft picking up Myers, Pears, D.Daniher, Hooker and Bellchambers. First 3 have been plagued by injury but pretty much all of them (except maybe Daniher) could have/will play 200 games injuries aside. Thatā€™s pretty outstanding! With Keane as the chief recruiter heā€™s clearly the best in the league at identifying talls.

With him at the helm with Dodoro heā€™s brought our clubs list health to a ā€˜top 4 in the league talentā€™ level twice. One of those during the expansion club talent suck and the saga draft restrictions which is extraordinary. That shows how good heā€™s been for us over a decade. Iā€™m sad to hear this news and a little nervous of whatā€™s to come. I really hope we can poach one of the other clubs top recruiters because I really feel our drafting is at an all time high.

7 Likes

Huge loss.

And Darcy was a good chance to make it. Looked really promising pre-injury.

2 Likes

Good luck to Merv, only met him once and that was at a Sandringham game with he and Dodoro overseeing McGrath and Setterfield puting on a clinic

Always seemed a good bloke to me and hopefully Rob can successfully fill the large gap he has left.

1 Like

Forster-Knight his likely successor?

Hope he stays apart of our recruiting network as a scout

He is the one I see at games the most, Iā€™m yet to see Dodoro this year actually. When I do see him though it means we are drafting a player from that game

2 Likes

Which could indicate that we are looking at some interstate guys or we arenā€™t expecting to have a big draft haul due to some other additions

1 Like

I didnā€™t see him much last year and we took 2 SA guys and a WA guy so your theory has Merrett

3 Likes

Merv is an absolute legend no doubt about it. A true gentleman and someone with vast amount of knowledge of the game.

Forster- Knight carries a reputation as being elite so he might be the man.

2 Likes

He has always appeared to be highly rated internally and theyā€™ve probably been grooming him for some time

One of the great people Iā€™ve met in footy, a huge loss to the culture of the club. Heā€™s one of the people Iā€™ve really missed catching up with not being around the club much this year, Iā€™m sure heā€™ll have a great impact in his next chapter.

14 Likes

Yes thatā€™s already been confirmed in the article on the website.

Anyone that knowā€™s anything that can elaborate on RFK? would be greatly appreciated

I think he played in two games on one day when he was playing.

But what is there to know? Heā€™s been on our recruiting staff for a few years now.

1 Like

We usually recruit from within, by encouring career progression in the organisation.

But with Dan Richardson now head of football, maybe heā€™ll want to change it up. Richmond havenā€™t been overly impressive with their drafting. Many players have come from trade and their VFL system. For Richmond itā€™s been more about coaching & systems, than quality drafting imo.

Like what heā€™s been doing since his illustrious playing career. Who heā€™s been working for, how long. How long in recruiting, how long in other roles. If heā€™s highly rated, why is that?