Michael Long deserves a Knighthood - got a statue, AFL Life Membership and an OAM for now

Im putting this in the hanger because I believe this is as much an Essendon issue as it is a national one, and one if Essendon supporters get behind like they did with the #standbyhird campaign the weight of public opinon might actually make this happen.

I believe there is no one who has effected positive change, promoted equality, or awoken the nations conscience towards racisim than Michael. When you look at the AFL in isolation people could argue that Nicky Winmar and Adama Goodes have also make significant contributions, But its what Michael has done post career that elevates him.

I will take the extract from his Australian of the year nomination in 2011

Michael Long is a former great of the Australian Football League (AFL) and is highly respected as a spokesperson for Aboriginal people. Michael‘s parents were removed from their families as children and their experiences shaped his determination to fight racial discrimination. In 1995 when playing for Essendon, following an ANZAC Day game against Collingwood, he became the first player to highlight racial abuse when he reported offensive language used by an opposition player. As a result of his actions, the AFL set about actively stopping racial and religious vilification. In 2001, Michael retired as a professional footballer, but not from working to help Indigenous Australians. In 2004, he famously walked from Melbourne to Canberra to meet the then Prime Minister John Howard to discuss the plight of Indigenous Australians and raise public awareness of the issues. Thousands of people, both Indigenous and non-Indigenous, joined in what became known as The Long Walk. Michael has since developed The Long Walk Foundation which opens many doors for Indigenous people in sport, education and employment opportunities as well as health and well being programs. His actions are contributing to true reconciliation.

Please show your support by tweeting with the hashtag #sirmichaellong

3 Likes

Is it something he'd want? Seems to me that if you want to think about the great symbols of british imperialism, then a knighthood is right up there.

I can't speak for him, obviously, but my gut worries he'd see it as a slap in the face.

I like the sentiment though.

if he thought it would help recognition and reconciliation he'd do it, he would be embarrassed but he would go along with it, its as much about promoting his values and what he represents as it is about rewarding him, its probably more to be honest.

Since Yunapingu he is probably the most positive role model his people have, and the whole country acknowledging that would be fantastic.

Nothing but good can come of it.

I'm happy for Michael Long to receive a proper award.  Not some anachronistic, British, classist ****.

Crap, can't say wank.

Fine, some anachronistic, British, classist, cockwomble.

sirlongalot

I'm happy for Michael Long to receive a proper award.  Not some anachronistic, British, classist ****.

Crap, can't say ****.

think about it for a second wim

Celebratory wichetty grubs at mine if this gets up.

Crap, can't say ****.

No, I am thinking about it.

I'm seeing Sir Michael Long going around when he's sixty and seventy and I don't like it.

It just feels patronising.

When I met Sir Doug Nichols in when he was that age I didnt think his title was anything other than deserving

but I suppose you are talking about what it means in 2014 not 1984

Crap, can't say ****.

No, I am thinking about it.

I'm seeing Sir Michael Long going around when he's sixty and seventy and I don't like it.

It just feels patronising.

Honouring him is a fine idea, however a British pat on the head is a dubious "honour". Can't speak for him, but how does this resonate with you?

"For Australia's dark sons, no prouder have they been

Than the day that Namatjira shook the hand of the Queen." 

I'm sure Slim Dusty meant well. 

1 Like

Im putting this in the hanger because I believe this is as much an Essendon issue as it is a national one, and one if Essendon supporters get behind like they did with the #standbyhird campaign the weight of public opinon might actually make this happen.

I believe there is no one who has effected positive change, promoted equality, or awoken the nations conscience towards racisim than Michael. When you look at the AFL in isolation people could argue that Nicky Winmar and Adama Goodes have also make significant contributions, But its what Michael has done post career that elevates him.

[font='proxima-nova']Michael Long is a former great of the Australian Football League (AFL) and is highly respected as a spokesperson for Aboriginal people. Michael‘s parents were removed from their families as children and their experiences shaped his determination to fight racial discrimination. In 1995 when playing for Essendon, following an ANZAC Day game against Collingwood, he became the first player to highlight racial abuse when he reported offensive language used by an opposition player. As a result of his actions, the AFL set about actively stopping racial and religious vilification. In 2001, Michael retired as a professional footballer, but not from working to help Indigenous Australians. In 2004, he famously walked from Melbourne to Canberra to meet the then Prime Minister John Howard to discuss the plight of Indigenous Australians and raise public awareness of the issues. Thousands of people, both Indigenous and non-Indigenous, joined in what became known as The Long Walk. Michael has since developed The Long Walk Foundation which opens many doors for Indigenous people in sport, education and employment opportunities as well as health and well being programs. His actions are contributing to true reconciliation.[/size][/font]

Sorry Ben but I reckon you have lost the plot. An order of Australia I could cope with but a knighthood ? give me a break. The British imperials would be delighted. We are Australians and we don't bow down to anyone especially the poms who sent most of us down here as convicts in the first place.
I am a proud Australian but this has no relation to the British Empire or in fact the deluded view Americans have of patriotism.
By all means honour Michael Long but perhaps as a tribal elder and definitely not as part of our esteemed PMs back to the future grab for votes.

Michael Long is a former great of the Australian Football League (AFL) and is highly respected as a spokesperson for Aboriginal people. Michael‘s parents were removed from their families as children and their experiences shaped his determination to fight racial discrimination. In 1995 when playing for Essendon, following an ANZAC Day game against Collingwood, he became the first player to highlight racial abuse when he reported offensive language used by an opposition player. As a result of his actions, the AFL set about actively stopping racial and religious vilification. In 2001, Michael retired as a professional footballer, but not from working to help Indigenous Australians. In 2004, he famously walked from Melbourne to Canberra to meet the then Prime Minister John Howard to discuss the plight of Indigenous Australians and raise public awareness of the issues. Thousands of people, both Indigenous and non-Indigenous, joined in what became known as The Long Walk. Michael has since developed The Long Walk Foundation which opens many doors for Indigenous people in sport, education and employment opportunities as well as health and well being programs. His actions are contributing to true reconciliation.[/size]

Sorry Ben but I reckon you have lost the plot. An order of Australia I could cope with but a knighthood ? give me a break. The British imperials would be delighted. We are Australians and we don't bow down to anyone especially the poms who sent most of us down here as convicts in the first place.
I am a proud Australian but this has no relation to the British Empire or in fact the deluded view Americans have of patriotism.
By all means honour Michael Long but perhaps as a tribal elder and definitely not as part of our esteemed PMs back to the future grab for votes.

WTF, Liam Jurrah is a tribal elder. Thats not decided by anyone other than his family and mob. Im talking about him being recognised for services to Australia, and seeing this is going to be taking over from order of Australia as the highest honer, im suggesting that.

Do we need any national honours whether its MBE/OBE/Australian of the Year etc,etc,etc ? And many people who some think would be worthy receipients, refuse to accept a nomination. 

He wouldn’t want it.

Legend status.

Needs to be addressed as The Legend Michael Long.

John Howard thinks Knighthoods are an anachronism.

John frigging Winston Howard.

Think about that!

Great sentiment, unfortunately I feel it would be viewed as tokenism.

He should have a national day, where we all spend an afternoon smashing Carlton and Troy Simmonds.

John Howard thinks Knighthoods are an anachronism.
John frigging Winston Howard.
Think about that!

There was a great line on Shaun Micallef's Mad as Hell last night, something like "getting told you're anachronistic by John Howard is like being told by Kim Jong-un that you're laying on the propoganda a bit thick"