Michael Long deserves a Knighthood - got a statue, AFL Life Membership and an OAM for now

I fkg love Shaun Micallef

Canā€™t believe that got that support. Would have thought Iā€™d get flamed into oblivion particularly by Noonan

I suppose this is not the thread, but I donā€™t understand all this outcry about knighthoods. Its just some symbollic title, how does it affect anyone here if it exists or not? Its not like weā€™ve given up some legislative power to England. Not monarchist or republican FWIW.

Anyway, carry on :slight_smile:

Pretty sure Longy would love a knighthood. Who wouldnā€™t want a title that is a tribute to the very empire that pretty much bent your whole culture over without lube.

Good call Ben

Iā€™m with those bagging the knighthood (sorry bomber girl) but totally agree with benftiā€™s sentiment. Some sort of tribute to Longy would be in order. Hereā€™s a thought, the new HPC is a bit devoid of art. Commission an aboriginal artist to create something special there in tribute to Michael. It could include markings on the grounds (within reason), not just the usual statues etc.

I'm with those bagging the knighthood (sorry bomber girl) but totally agree with benfti's sentiment. Some sort of tribute to Longy would be in order. Here's a thought, the new HPC is a bit devoid of art. Commission an aboriginal artist to create something special there in tribute to Michael. It could include markings on the grounds (within reason), not just the usual statues etc.

Sounds like a great idea to me.

Pretty sure Longy would love a knighthood. Who wouldn't want a title that is a tribute to the very empire that pretty much bent your whole culture over without lube.
Good call Ben

Does that mean the AFL will bestow a knighthood on James Hird?

I'm with those bagging the knighthood (sorry bomber girl) but totally agree with benfti's sentiment. Some sort of tribute to Longy would be in order. Here's a thought, the new HPC is a bit devoid of art. Commission an aboriginal artist to create something special there in tribute to Michael. It could include markings on the grounds (within reason), not just the usual statues etc.

Part of the HPC, if not the whole thing, called be named after him.

This might seem tacky but you could do some sort of mural of indigenous art to him and possibly all indigenous EFC players over the years on the side of the HPC. Not quite what Ben said but carrying on from a suggestion above.

Knighthood for that '93 finals series performance ? ā– ā– ā– ā–  yes.

Michael Long is deserving of many honours, there is no doubt about that. Imperial British honours are not the correct way to go IMHO. I also believe the whole honour system including the Order of Australia honours continue to be downgraded when the are given to people for doing their job. Services to police force, service to public (top public servant) services to the country for Governor General FFS, thatā€™s what theyā€™re paid for. Honours should be given to people for going BEYOND what they are paid to do.

Back to Michael Long. He has made an enormous contribution to the community and deserves recognition. Would be nice to think of someway of doing that. Scholarship fund in his name, annual competitive award, public holiday ie long walk day to recognise contributions from indigenous people, maybe instead of Queens birthday, I am sure there are many more ideas out there.

1 Like

Sir Michael of the Long. For services to ironing out useless Melbourne ruckmen.

Sir Michael of the Long. For services to ironing out useless Melbourne ruckmen.

still wont accept an apology.

oh the irony.

The best situation would be for him to be offered one, only for Longy to tell them to stick it.

Ā 

Sounds like a great idea to me.

Ā 

Agreed

There needs to be something done to commemorate the game where our centre line read ā€œKickett Long ā– ā– ā– ā– ā€.

1 Like

Knighthood? That's for English arselickers. Michael Long deserves to be first President of the Republic of Australia.

2 Likes

Can't believe that got that support. Would have thought I'd get flamed into oblivion particularly by Noonan

Why? He's OK...he's frequently funny which is a lot more than a lot of "comedians" are...yes, I'm looking at you, Dave Hughes. Hope you're happy after last night. Suffer in your fireant-ridden jocks.

Benfti if Long likes it I like it.Ā  Makes a change form cricketers.

Longā€™s Life Membership

Essendon legend Michael Long has been inducted as a life member of the AFL at the 2018 Annual General Meeting.

Long has been recognised under the provision of ā€˜Special Service to the Gameā€™ based on his community leadership to Aboriginal Australia and said it was going to be a proud moment.

ā€œI was pretty humbled to get the call from the AFL,ā€ Long said

ā€œTonight is obviously a very special night, having this bestowed upon you.

ā€œYou donā€™t strive to win the accolades or the awards, but itā€™s great to be acknowledged and to become a life member of the AFL I was pretty taken aback by it.ā€

Known for his daring dash down the wing for the Bombers, Long has also been a leader in addressing racism in sport, including being involved in the introduction of the first racial vilification policy in Australian sport.

Long was a sensational athlete famously known for his 1993 finals series, including winning the 1993 Norm Smith Medal.

After retirement from football, Long established the Michael Long Learning and Leadership Centre in Darwin, providing young indigenous adults accommodation facilities, gym and education spaces to harness the power of sport for indigenous students from remote areas.

Long famously embarked on his ā€œLong Walkā€ from Melbourne to Parliament House in Canberra in 2004 to raise the issues of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander and put them back on the national agenda by meeting with Prime Minister John Howard.

Supporters from across Australia expressed their commitment to reconciliation by joining Michael Long for part of his 650-kilometre journey and Long successfully met with Prime Minister John Howard.

The Long Walk charity has since been established, holding the annual Long Walk with from Federation Square to the MCG prior to the Dreamtime at the ā€˜G clash between Essendon and Richmond every year.

LONGā€™S CAREER STATISTICS:
Career: 1989-2001
Games: 190
Goals: 143
EFC Premiership player: 1993 & 2000
Norm Smith Medallist: 1993
All Australian: 1995
EFC Co-captain: 1999
EFC Vice Captain: 1996 &1998-2001
Indigenous Team of the Century (Wing)
Northern Territory Team of the Century (Wing)
Australian Football Hall of Fame

4 Likes